Fixed price servicing $410.00? 48mth- cost me $910.00

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

• 2013 i30 Premium auto,petrol hatch - Dazzling Blue
    • Sydney Pet Rescue & Adoption
Had 4year service a month ago.
I thought that fixed price servicing meant that your car got it's scheduled service and you only paid the fixed price of $410 for this 48mth / 60km sevice. Silly me.  :confused:
I had pre booked it last year to obtain a 10% discount off the service or it would have cost me over $1.000.

Invoice states -
 $480.56 - Labour cost as below.

$156.21 - 60km service - $410/LC - 10% pre-book discount
 $13.18 - Replaced wiper inserts
$193.18 - Carry out engine decarb & reset E 
$27.27 - Replaced pollen filter
$60.00 - A/C sanitation service
Fit OSF wheel guard to arch $30.72  (i had hit a dead wombat & prepaid $100 for the wheel arch prior to service)
------------------------------------------------------

$216.71 - Parts  - as below

13.63  wiper refills
13.63  wiper refills
10.32 Hyundai fuel In
3.27  gasket -oil plug
16.56 filter Assy-eng
77.48 filter - fuel pum
81.82 filter Assy-air
-------------------------------

59.50 NG 5W-30 engine oil
25.00 (NG) decarb fluid
30.00 (NG) AC sanitization kit
15.50 Workshop supplies

GST $82.73

The Factory Schedule shows  replace engine oil & filter, replace fuel filter, perform fuel system treatment.
Remainder items just says inspect for everything else.

Have I been overserviced?  I am mechanically challenged and trust them to know what they are doing.

Car is currently being repaired under NRMA insurance (elsewhere) as someone  had lost a pushbike in the middle of the road at night, (from back of ute perhaps? and they didn't notice) and i could not stop in time and it got dragged underneath. Car is jinxed I think.  :'(

Look forward to your comments.  Be gentle
  • i30 Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I feel your pain! I hate the way they load all those extras. At least our local dealer knows what I'm like and asks if I want to have their extra services before they start, I mostly say no. Fuel additives, injector clean, tyre rotation (should be included in my opinion) etc..

Sure seems like a lot of consumables used??? Be interested to see what the others think.

I would be tempted to take it up with Hyundai Australia.  Say you think their fixed price servicing is a farce and you are considering taking it further. I told you I'm savage on this sort of stuff didn't I?  :evil:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hello Sydney Lady,
I would be at least getting them to check  what they did and explain why?
Engine de-carbon ? , AC $30 for the kit and then $60 for sanitation?

Just had our 2 yr 30k km done at Parra Hyundai .
Oil plug gasket and oil filter same price as yours.
Workshop supplies  $12:50
Oil was  their choice  -  Halvoline Prem 10/30  $40:00

AC sanitation was included.  So much product was applied,  I have had to replace cabin filter as the fragrance was over powering.  Will discuss that more next week with them.

Also had tyres rotated and wheel alignment for $90:00

Also Roadside Assist was renewed as well.

Total including gst  $ 356:00
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 10:18:33 by mickd »
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That engine decarb for $193 plus decarb fluid for $25 is a joke :Shocked: AC sanitation service $60 plus $30 AC sanitation kit, there would have to be a foul stench coming from the air aircon and blocked badly to require that :confused:

$80 for an air filter is ridiculous as well but that's Hyundai's overpriced parts, can get online for $30-$40.

Oil at $59 is also overcharged imo,  my Hyundai service centre charge $40 for 3.6ltrs of their oil but I supply my own Shell Ultra or Caltex Edge 5ltr oil for $35 on special from Supercheap.

$10.32 for Hyundai fuel injector treatment is not neccesary either if once every 3-4 tanks you fill with premium fuel.

Aside from the oil - oil filter - fuel filter - gasket -oil plug and the service charge, everything else on that list should have been queried with the owner before replacing/servicing :disapp:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Before they did the "extra work" did they contact you to explain what was required plus costs?

Just for completness what is actually included in the fix price?

I personally would expect the scheduled service items per the service book schedule which should be enough as that is what hy required for their vehicles.

Any other jobs are extra and need the prior approval of the owner/bill payer.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

• 2013 i30 Premium auto,petrol hatch - Dazzling Blue
    • Sydney Pet Rescue & Adoption
Before they did the "extra work" did they contact you to explain what was required plus costs?

Just for completness what is actually included in the fix price?

I personally would expect the scheduled service items per the service book schedule which should be enough as that is what hy required for their vehicles.

Any other jobs are extra and need the prior approval of the owner/bill payer.

I don't remember them asking for approval or mentioning the extra costs. I waited there whilst the servicing was done. I did get a shock when I was told the price when it was time to pay.

I just googled and found where you can find the fix price service schedule listings for all Hyundai models.  service schedule and cost
I entered 2013 i30 GD hatchback 1.8L petrol, automatic and it brings up the 48mth schedule and also the 60 mth schedule.

I might pay them a visit when I get my repaired car back and ask them about the A/C sanitation and engine decarb and their price for oil.

I did get car wash & vacuum & free 12mth roadside assistance included as per previous services.
  • i30 Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I did get car wash & vacuum & free 12mth roadside assistance included as per previous services.

That is normal practice (and so it should be at the price they charge) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 I checked the quote and note the following are listed

Perform fuel system treatment
Replace engine oil & filter
Replace fuel filter

As such the oil, filters and fuel system treatment have been paid for in the $410 and the price parts ($107.63) and labour should not appear on the invoice. I would then ask about the labour charges especally the $156 for the service you paid $410 to have conducted.

The A/c sanatise, engine decarb, wipers and Pollen filter (for which you appear to have been charged labour but no parts) are optional and your permission should have been asked before any of these were conducted. If you did not authorise them then you are under no liability to pay for them. Be careful here because I have sat in a waiting room while the service person quickly ticked through these items with person after person and being keen to be elsewhere the people have approved them all. Though I suspect you would recall approving a $200 charge.

Speak to the stealer, and seek clarification re the charges (I bet when fronted they will suddenly realise there has been a mistake)  if your not happy ask Hyundai direct. I would expect a refund of charges and a free service as a 'goodwill gesture'
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal