i30 Owners Club

How can I disable the ABS & TCS in a 2012 Elantra Touring?

Offline Bnystrom

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Nashua, NH
This is the first vehicle I've owned with ABS/TCS and I absolutely hate it. Aside from the fact that it's incredibly annoying when it activates, it eliminates my ability to feel the road surface when braking or accelerating. Is there a way to disable this horrible system?

I've been driving for 40+ years in snow and ice and have never needed ABS/TCS, so please don't lecture me about the wonders of modern automotive electronics. I know how to handle these conditions and having a computer separate me from the road is not beneficial.

Thanks

Brian
  • 2012 Elantra Touring SE, gas 2.0L, manual, gray

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Traction control on/off should be a button on dash below stereo (unsure of US vehicles), ABS cant be disabled.

If you didn't want modern safety features why buy a modern car  :confused:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
On my right hand drive car, uk, tc on off button is by my right knee, just below the steering wheel
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Bnystrom

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Nashua, NH
Thanks, I'm aware of the TCS switch, but it resets itself every time you turn off the ignition.

FWIW, ABS is mandatory on all new cars here and has been for a while; I had no choice in the matter.

I found the 10A fuse marked "ABS" under the hood (#13 in the diagram in the box). Pulling that fuse disables the ABS/TCS, exactly as I hoped. When braking or accelerating on a loose surface, it feels like a "normal" car, which is a relief. I can finally feel what's going on at the road surface.

However, it has some other side-effects:
  • The ABS, TCS and Brake lights on the dash come on. I expected the first two, but not the Brake light.
  • The steering response feels lighter, as if it's no longer speed-sensitive.
  • The throttle response is more abrupt, which is quite noticeable when getting on or backing off the throttle. This was definitely unexpected. Is there an electronic throttle damper of some sort?
While I can live with the lights, the other effects are less acceptable. I may end up putting the fuse back in and either:

Unplugging the ABS module (and carefully capping both sides)
or...
    Pulling the ABS1 (40A) fuse and/or the ABS2 (20A) fuse

If nothing else, it will be interesting to see the difference in the effects.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Surely if abs is being activated then you must be going too fast and stamping on the brake to stop

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The side affects mentioned as well as the legality issues of disabling the ABS is why I said you can’t disable it, any accident and you’re automatically at fault :disapp:

I realise ABS is mandatory there...as it is in the rest of the world :p

When I asked why buy a modern car I was suggesting that you could of bought a nice classic or something without all the fancy safety features if you don’t like them :wink:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 19:49:35 by CraigB »

Offline Bnystrom

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Nashua, NH
No, it's being activated because of uneven traction on roads with snow, ice and/or mud. This is most common when approaching intersections at a safe speed for the conditions. Under those conditions, tire slippage is normal and it allows me to feel what's going on and modulate my braking. When the ABS kicks in, all semblance of road feel is immediately lost and stopping distances increase dramatically. It's dangerous, plain and simple, and there are warnings about this in the car's Owner's Manual. It's a very well documented problem with ABS.

Come summer when I don't have to deal with slippery conditions like this, I'll probably reconnect the ABS just to shut off the dashboard lights, but in winter, it's a menace.

I don't know you or where you live and I'm not making any assumptions, but if you don't drive in true winter conditions or on muddy or loose dirt roads, you probably wouldn't experience or understand the problem. I don't mean that in a condescending way, it's just that ABS is a completely different animal depending whether you're talking about high traction conditions or really low traction conditions.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 22:23:05 by Bnystrom »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I can't speak about snow and ice but on loose surfaces or wet conditions,  I've never been bothered with the ABS.
In my experience, the ABS only kicks in when you are pressing too hard on the brake. If I apply the same pressure I would in a car without ABS,  ie, the amount of pressure necessary to pull up without locking a wheel, then the ABS doesn't activate so it doesn't come into the equation.
With 20+ years of driving rally cars behind me, I have only once activated ABS in the last 12 years in normal driving and that was an occasion where I was momentarily distracted and simply jumped on the pedal wiith no time to consider any other options.
In my opinion the ABS did exactly what it was designed to do.

I must admit to a year or so of getting used to the technology in the beginning. Probably could have done it in a couple of hours if I'd taken myself out into the forest somewhere.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Personally wouldn't do it because it has saved me more than it has annoyed me but when I did a driver training course they demonstrated ABS v non ABS stop by pulling the ABS fuse. I cannot vouch how this would work in the i30.

I also had the ABS deactivate in a Falcon when a wheel sensor became defective again I can't vouch for this in an i30. 

I do not know about US vehicle laws, but over here as ABS is mandated removing it would make the vehicle unroadworthy which would void insurance in an accident should anyone care to look (there is a bright yellow light on the dash).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi Bnystrom,
You have found a way to disable it yourself,  you could just ignore the brake failure warning.
You could  just keep playing with it,  bypassing or isolating various items to get it how you wish.
The alternative is to change your style to suit the car,  your call, but remember it's on your head.
If it goes south badly you just may end having 3 meals a day, free medical and clothing supplied.
Good luck .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Bnystrom

Gee, you are having a baptism of fire! Our regular members can be brutally honest and don't beat around the bush as you can see!  :Shocked:

While they make some valid points well worth considering, I thought you explained your thinking and situation pretty clearly.

Few if any (of the Aussie members anyway) have experienced some of your driving conditions so they see things from a different point of view.

Hopefully you will still keep in touch and enjoy the forum.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Bnystrom

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Nashua, NH
That's no problem, if I didn't want to hear other opinions, I wouldn't ask the questions on the internet. I hadn't noticed that this forum is based in Oz, but that probably explains the perspective of your members.

Driving with ABS in snow, ice and slippery mud conditions that we have here is completely different that driving on higher traction surfaces. My main issue is the dramatically increased braking distances that ABS causes under very low traction conditions (snow, ice and mud). There are times - particularly in snow - where you need to be able to lock one or both wheels so snow builds up in front of them and they dig down through the surface, and slow the vehicle.

TCS is annoying, since at times under really low traction conditions it feels like the car is tied to a tree. It's generally less dangerous than the ABS problems, but it's nearly gotten me into trouble when attempting to pull out of slippery intersections where good traction is inches away but the car barely moves because one front tire is on snow, slush or ice and the TCS will not allow tire spin that would clear it away. 

The bottom line is that this is something you need to experience in order to fully appreciate the problem.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:23:07 by Bnystrom »

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
this forum is based in Oz

Montreal, Canada, actually ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Bnystrom

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Nashua, NH
Oops! My mistake. I just saw that most of the critics were from Oz and I made an incorrect assumption. I may be inviting trouble, but I don't see anyone from "The Great White North" arguing with me, so perhaps they understand the situation. I've also heard that many Canadian-spec vehicles have ABS switches that allow you to turn it off when necessary. Is that true? I wish it was an option here!

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've no idea about Canadian-specced cars. Our forum is hosted there but our membership is multinational.

I'm in the UK and drive an Ioniq Hybrid, but both previous i30s had a TCS off switch but no manual ABS selector. I understand fully why you want control over this, but shy of disconnecting the sensor/fuse you're pretty much stuck with it (or a dashboard warning light) :)

Offline Bnystrom

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Nashua, NH
It turns out that pulling the ABS1 fuse under the hood does exactly what I want. The ABS/TCS/ESC system is disabled, but everything else functions normally. I can live with the ABS and ESC warning lights; they'll serve as a reminder to reinstall the fuse in the spring when I get the car inspected.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:victory: good work "B" and thanks for the feedback :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Now after reading this why hy global do not make cars to the required climate conditions.

Surely they have "staff/experts/pr etc" in all their markets who feed into the hy management to ensure the product meets local conditions,,.,,,,,,

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
That's no problem, if I didn't want to hear other opinions, I wouldn't ask the questions on the internet. I hadn't noticed that this forum is based in Oz, but that probably explains the perspective of your members.

Driving with ABS in snow, ice and slippery mud conditions that we have here is completely different that driving on higher traction surfaces. My main issue is the dramatically increased braking distances that ABS causes under very low traction conditions (snow, ice and mud). There are times - particularly in snow - where you need to be able to lock one or both wheels so snow builds up in front of them and they dig down through the surface, and slow the vehicle.
TCS is annoying, since at times under really low traction conditions it feels like the car is tied to a tree. It's generally less dangerous than the ABS problems, but it's nearly gotten me into trouble when attempting to pull out of slippery intersections where good traction is inches away but the car barely moves because one front tire is on snow, slush or ice and the TCS will not allow tire spin that would clear it away. 

The bottom line is that this is something you need to experience in order to fully appreciate the problem.

I understand where you mean "spin to get grip - or to loose it via our 4wd.
Don't have TCS, ABS yes, but really hard to activate. 
Have had work vehicle with TCS and found it a different less aggressive unit.
(Some thought it was good not to see / be in work ute sideways down access roads at 80 - 100 kmh)   :lol:  :evil:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Now after reading this why hy global do not make cars to the required climate conditions.

Surely they have "staff/experts/pr etc" in all their markets who feed into the hy management to ensure the product meets local conditions,,.,,,,,,

It might be that they are not allowed to over ride ABS?

I do recall some work on ABS on gravel being less effective from the point of view of pure stopping distance, but more effective in steering ability. The theory was that most of the population will not be able to control the skid themselves, which would stop their ability to steer.

I have an aversion to the newest forms of 'safety' as they seem to be more about justifying inattention rather than as an aid to driver skill.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal