i30 Owners Club

I30 problems with reverse gear

AJB808 · 4 · 8674

Offline AJB808

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi, I have a December 2012 registered Hyundai i30 and a more having and increasing problem with getting it into reverse gear. Clutch pedal goes to the floor and there’s almighty crunching trying to get it in. Sometimes I go into 1st gear first and then into reverse which can help sometimes but not always. Yet sometimes I can get into reverse really easily with no crunching at all. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with the i30’s or in fact what the problem could be?
I’m not mechanically minded so I really appreciate any advice.
Thanks for your help in advance!
  • December 2012 registered diesel i30 blue drive

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome:

Out of interest is yours a series 1 (FD) or Series 2 (GD) as 2012 was a transition year (edit: I'm guessing being December it's a GD) . So no problems with selecting 1st as well?

From my experience with 3 manual i30's we have owned the earliest one (2008 FD) was the notchiest. The late 2010 (MY11) FD and the 2014 (GD) were much smoother and easier to get into reverse and 1st.

There are threads on here about similar issues and from memory they talk about adjustment of linkages and or the clutch. You can also get an additive to add to the transmission fluid which will help shift quality. Some have even had their transmission oil replaced with a better one.  I'm no mechanic though so let's see what others say...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AJB808

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
It’s a series 2 and no problems with first, just reverse. Thanks for responding!
  • December 2012 registered diesel i30 blue drive

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Do a search here . Plenty of posts and  remedies available
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal