i30 Owners Club

Stepping on rear tyres

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
My 2011 CRDi hatchback had new Hankook Ventus Prime 3 tyres fitted about 6 months ago, and I've recently noticed a 'thrumming' noise which I had thought was a noisy wheel bearing, though I can't feel any roughness or play in any wheel bearings. When it was in for it's MoT, the tester said that the rear tyres were getting stepped on the inner shoulder, and whilst they still look brand new at first glance, you can feel slight undulations on the face of the tread. He said it could be the rear shocks, although they show no sign of leakage, or it's just the construction of that particular tyre that makes it prone to this stepping. He mentioned various combinations of tyre brands and car brands that can cause this. Has anyone else had this happen on their car?
  • i30 CRD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I had a similar problem which sounded like a wheel bearing - on one rear tyre it turned out to be the tread coming away from the carcass and "shuffling" under the contact patch with the road. In my case nothing was visible and it was the full width of the tread
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Suspension or alignment need looking at.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
replace the shocks, That's what I did, Same story, 2 vehicles, wagon shocks only had about 80 000k on them. No evdience of leaks. Inner edge ends up with squared off edges.

Both vehicles are now perfect, hatch has had the shocks on for over a year and tyres have not suffered since nor has the wagon.

I threw KYB EXCEL-G into mine, and my 3870000K hatch has a set too which look like they were replaced a long long time ago and are still sound.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I would like to define what you mean by "stepping" first.

On tyres, I use the terms "scalloping" and "feathering".
I suspect your stepping is feathering. The leading edge of the tread pattern is raising upwards slightly..

If it's feathering you mean, most likely there's an issue with the rear alignment.

If the tyres are scalloping, then more likely the shocks are to blame. Scalloping is a more severe pattern with obvious wear on the tread blocks.

Not a hard and fast rule but definitely more likely.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
What  I'm seeing is scalloping, I think. The shoulder of the tyre isn't getting rubbed off, but you feel peaks and hollows that seem quite regular and maybe 2 or 3 inches apart. It sounds like it's the shockers, the car has done 150,000 miles and these are the originals.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What  I'm seeing is scalloping, I think. The shoulder of the tyre isn't getting rubbed off, but you feel peaks and hollows that seem quite regular and maybe 2 or 3 inches apart. It sounds like it's the shockers, the car has done 150,000 miles and these are the originals.
Yep. Probably shocks.
But worth getting the alignment checked as well, just in case something is amiss there.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal