i30 Owners Club

Is PD TPMS same as Veloster TPMS

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Hi all

im considering changing the 18" x 7.5 alloys on my 2017 PD SR for Veloster turbo alloys. Offset is basically the same and my original Hankook 225/40 R18 tyres will swap over. I can then keep my unmarked PD alloys in shed (at $850 per wheel) until I am ready to sell the car.

There are other alloys options available but just like the look of these.  :rolleyes:

My question is regarding the TPMS, will veloster wheel valve & senders work with PD TPMS receiver units? same frequnency etc? Im assuming that the PD TPMS receivers are mounted near each wheel in order to pick up each wheel. Is there any programming needed by Hyundai to learn new sensors etc?  :crazy2:

Any help or thoughts would be useful so I can make a decision on this  :winker:

• 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you're swapping the tyres over why not unscrew the TPM valves and swap them over too :undecided:

$850 is a ridiculous price Hyundai charge for their rims :Shocked: anywhere else those heavy cast alloy rims are about $180 each new and alot less once used :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Scott,

Craig's suggestion seems like the obvious fix for this issue. The Veloster wheels with blue highlights should look great with your blue SR. Can't wait to see some before and after photos.  :happydance:

Are the wheels from your previous veloster or did you score them off Ebay? 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
If you're swapping the tyres over why not unscrew the TPM valves and swap them over too

The turbo alloys I'm looking at already have Veloster TPMS senders fitted. I was looking at least hassle to me.  ;)
Another set on Gumtree have tyres fitted but no TPMS senders, so I could go for these instead and just put up with TPMS error on dashboard

This is the methodology i presume
1. Remove PD alloy tyre and sender off all 4 wheels. identify each sender to wheel location
2. Remove Veloster tyres or senders off all 4 wheels.
3. Fit PD TPMS sender & new valve to Veloster wheel (if they fit) mark on tyre sender location
4. Fit tyres and balance
5. Make sure TPMS working correctly
6. Go for photoshoot for Daz

If anybody has easy solution let me know  :crazy1:  :crazy2:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Are the wheels from your previous veloster or did you score them off Ebay?

Not the alloys on my old veloster were uber cool. these ones i saw on jolly gumtree  :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
This is the methodology i presume
1. Remove PD alloy tyre and sender off all 4 wheels. identify each sender to wheel location
2. Remove Veloster tyres or senders off all 4 wheels.
3. Fit PD TPMS sender & new valve to Veloster wheel (if they fit) mark on tyre sender location
4. Fit tyres and balance
6. Go for photoshoot for Daz

If anybody has easy solution let me know  :crazy1:  :crazy2:
Sounds right to me :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They will definitely suit your car I reckon. I'd get the ones with the TPMS if they are no dearer. Hopefully someone will know if they are likely to work.

I'll tag TIm. He might respond. @cruiserfied

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They will definitely suit your car I reckon. I'd get the ones with the TPMS if they are no dearer. Hopefully someone will know if they are likely to work.

I'll tag TIm. He might respond. @cruiserfied
I'd expect the valves are coded specifically to each vehicle, otherwise when you pull up at Hyundai your monitoring system would start registering every other vehicle that had sensors fitted.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I haven't looked at how TPMS works but assumed each sensor was determined purely on proximity. Any experts around?

Never mind, Google found it. Direct TPMS as used in the Hyundai would have unique digital codes for the sensors, which need to be registered by the car's computer, like pairing BlueTooth devices.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:28:26 by The Gonz »
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I do not believe that you need to identify each sensor to the wheel location. The TPMS receiver near each wheel tells the CPU which wheel it is.

I changed all the wheels on my car, re-used the TPMS valves and fitted them back randomly and it works fine.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
So maybe it's a case of both: serial number registration AND proximity. :razz:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I do not believe that you need to identify each sensor to the wheel location. The TPMS receiver near each wheel tells the CPU which wheel it is.

I changed all the wheels on my car, re-used the TPMS valves and fitted them back randomly and it works fine.
I would have thought the same, otherwise rotating wheels every 10 to 15k becomes a rather daunting and costly task.

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Dayum PD  SR rims are worth that much ?

Got offer a set of 4 last week for $600 and told the guy that was too much, maybe I should see if they still available !!
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth

Got offer a set of 4 last week for $600 and told the guy that was too much, maybe I should see if they still available !!

that was insurance replacement cost after my hit and run driver destroyed one wheel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah $150 a wheel is pretty good for 18" factory alloys.  :goodjob:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
At end of the day I purchased the Veloster turbo 18" alloys with new tyres already fitted and balanced but with no TPMS sensors. I will just replace all PD wheels with Veloster alloys and tyres for now.
My immediate issue will be potential error codes on dash for missing sensors sleeping in the shed.  :spitty:  :head_butt: :phone1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Should only be about $50 and the tyre shop will transfer those sensors over for you and rebalance.

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth

Should only be about $50 and the tyre shop will transfer those sensors over for you and rebalance.

Thats seems quite reasonable, do you have any recommended tyre shops for doing that Craig???

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Around your area West State Tyres in Bentley have always been pretty good to me though I'd think the price for that would be fairly similar to most stores around, changing the tyres and valves is simple, just the rebalance is where the cost is.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

At end of the day I purchased the Veloster turbo 18" alloys with new tyres already fitted and balanced but with no TPMS sensors. I will just replace all PD wheels with Veloster alloys and tyres for now.
My immediate issue will be potential error codes on dash for missing sensors sleeping in the shed.  :spitty:  :head_butt: :phone1:

At least you will be able to monitor the pressures in your spares when you get home. I love TPMS. First car I've had with it.  :victory:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
At least you will be able to monitor the pressures in your spares when you get home. I love TPMS. First car I've had with it. 

Yep them spares Dazz will be happy snuggling up in the Man cave / shed with regular night time surveillance  :whistler:  :rofl:
Although I believe they only actually transmit when the sensors are in motion to save/prolong the battery life which is sealed inside. I will have to set them all up on my redundant treadmill to keep them wheels turning. We have the technology  :crazy2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oh yeah I forgot that!  :snigger: Treadmill! Ingenious!  :victory:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth

Tyre power want $60 per wheel yikes $240 but suppose bit of work involved  :phone1:
1. Remove PD alloy Hankook tyre and TPMS sender off all 4 wheels.
2. Remove Veloster bridgestone tyres off all 4 wheels.
3. Fit PD TPMS sender & new valve to Veloster wheel
4. Fit Hankook tyres to Veloster wheels and balance

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Tyre power want $60 per wheel yikes $240 but suppose bit of work involved  :phone1:
1. Remove PD alloy Hankook tyre and TPMS sender off all 4 wheels.
2. Remove Veloster bridgestone tyres off all 4 wheels.
3. Fit PD TPMS sender & new valve to Veloster wheel
4. Fit Hankook tyres to Veloster wheels and balance
They must think you're stupid :Shocked:

When I bought the Koya's I went back to West State Tyres and had the tyres taken off the OX wheels and transferred to the Koya's and rebalanced = $75

Not hard to fit a valve/TPMS :disapp:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Greg's tyres in Canning Vale are an honest bunch as well :goodjob2:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
first quote so far  :head_butt: :head_knock: :crazy1: :fum:

guest9517
What is the MY of the Veloster?

Hyundai i30 will search for new TPMS-valves every time ignition is switched on, so no computer is needed.

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
What is the MY of the Veloster?

Hyundai i30 will search for new TPMS-valves every time ignition is switched on, so no computer is needed.

2015 Veloster build date but sadly the owner has already swapped out TPMS sensors into their new alloys and put the tyres back on rims.

I may just swap veloster wheels over myself & put up with error codes until I get a cheaper more realistic quote  :crazy2:  :rolleyes:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
When I bought the Koya's I went back to West State Tyres and had the tyres taken off the OX wheels and transferred to the Koya's and rebalanced = $75

Not hard to fit a valve/TPMS

Sadly West quote was even more pricey.
$40 per wheel for removal & fitting, balance plus $100 for swapping all TPMS sensors over. Maybe I shouldn't have said I knew you Craig  :snigger:  :scared:

I kinda feel everywhere is not interested unless you are buying new tyres off them so they can make their profit  :crazy2:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Damn you're not having any luck, I don't know why they're beating up on you so much :undecided: must be the English accent :whistler: can only suggest trying a few others an see if one actually wants the business.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal