i30 Owners Club

Converting from 280mm to 300mm front discs?

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
My 2008 2.0 CRDi came with 280mm front discs, I need new ones now so I was thinking of changing to 300mm. Are the callers the same but the mounting brackets different to accommodate the extra clearance? Bonus round, anyone have part numbers for the different bits?
Thanks
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You'll require different callipers and pads if upgrading disc size, possibly larger wheels also if using standard 15's and 16's :undecided: easier option is to use slotted standard size rotors with a ceramic composite pad ( Bendix or EBC ) if you're looking for better braking.

I'm not sure if DBA T2 disc's or EBC slotted rotors are available in the UK but surely there would be other brands that market the slotted type rotors.

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
I’ve found the 300mm caliper mounting brackets look different, are the calipers themselves and the pads definitely different as well? I’ve only ever found one pad type listed.
I was using EBC green stuff pads with MTEC drilled discs, with the remap taking the car to 175bhp they didn’t handle well with repeated use ☹️
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes callipers and pads will be different also, standard calliper/pads wont cover 300mm disc surface properly, that's what my brake shop told me when I queried not that long ago thinking I might be able to fit Veloster turbo disc's but I would require the whole assembly to make it work.

When due I'll use the DBA T2 rotors and Bendix Premium pads.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Searching pads shows for 280mm disc the pad size are

Length
130.00mm
Width
57.80mm
Thickness
15.90mm

300mm disc pads are

Length
140.80mm
Width
60.20mm
Thickness
16.90mm

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
517122L500

Calipers complete

581102L500
581302L500

16" wheels

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Nice one cheers guys, maybe wait till I wear through this set then as I was hoping the pads would be the same. Are the mounting points on the hub assembly the same? I think I’d call it a day if I have to start changing the whole wheel hub.
I hadn’t thought of Bendix pads, how do their range compare to EBC green stuff?
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I haven't used green stuff pads though the Bendix ceramic technology pads are very good, better heat dispersion and low dust, they don't require bedding in either :link: Ceramic Technology | Bendix Brakes there are also Bendix Ultra Premiums which are road and race rated, not sure if they have sizes for Hyundai though :undecided:

I think EBC do a ceramic composite pad as well which should give similar results.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Basically  20 sq mm difference and still same brake pressure
Would the Veloster brake booster  have larger brake pressure, or could you get a bigger unit and run top quality pads ? ?

Many years ago a mate connected a booster to his HQ and left pistons the same,  talk about touchy!
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Guys are the caliper brackets the same, so if I bought the calipers would I need to buy matching brackets or can I use the 280mm caliper brackets? Anyone have a part number for the larger bracket if not? Thanks :)
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Only part numbers I found included the mounts but that's genuine from the dealer. Aftermarket likely it'll be just the caliper.

may pay to see the local dealer and get clarification and price .
Or I'd look for the model that came with this setup at a wrecker and get a used set if you're really keen.

Not in a position to say much more, all new to me.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal