i30 Owners Club

2012 GD i30 Active CRDi - One year on

thommo101 · 15 · 23323

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

• 2012 GD i30 Active Diesel Manual
So I've had my 2012 i30 Active GD CRDi for exactly one year now. I've just ticked over 12000Km and thought I'd do a short recap on my opinions one year on.

Summary:
- I'm still loving the car. Buying a new car was a fantastic decision
- Have had no mechanical / electrical issues with the car
- Get great economy (average 5.0L/100km) for 80% driving to/from work in town
- First service went ok
- Only downside is possible regret of not getting the Elite model!

The best part about the car is that it is a smooth, quiet, comfortable ride. Nice high driving position (which I really notice when I sit in my wife's old 98 Corolla and feel like I'm falling!). Visibility with the mirrors is great. The reverse sensors are amazing for my garage which is only 50cm longer than the car with a brick wall behind! Cruise control is great. I use it pretty regularly.

The diesel is great. The economy is such that I get on average about 900km to a tank... now that I know how empty I can go and how full I can brim it! I am filling up about every 4 weeks, and that includes doing a 15km each way trip to work Monday to Friday and the odd longer trip once a month. It took me a while to get use to the power curve of the engine, and I can still be caught out occasionally if I'm tottering around in 2nd gear (1200rpm or lower) and need to get going in a hurry. However the thing is amazing on the highway. I went for a trip up the hills. Cruise control set to 110, 6th gear... didn't deviate from 110 at all (except when I went down a steep hill, cruise control only engine brakes!).

I had the first service this week. Didn't notice any change in behaviour afterwards. The car must have been running pretty smoothly already  The brakes are at 80%. Tyre tread is 4.5mm all around. The only disappointment was they didn't wash the car! I left it nice and dirty for them and everything. Boo!

As mentioned above, I do think occasionally that I should have gotten the Elite model. There are some perks that I'm now thinking I'd really enjoy:
- Auto Up-Down on all windows
- Alloy wheels (although when I need new tyres I'll look around then)
- Integrated satnav
But that is it really. Not worth the extra $$$$ I would have had to pay I suspect.

Negatives of the car:
- glovebox is a bit small
- The clock on the CD player is a pale white and difficult to see during the day. However on my parents 2013 i30 this seems to be full white bright, I guess they have a newer firmware. And yes, my parents got an i30 because they liked mine!

And that is the negatives list! I'm pretty happy.

Below is  my economy stats that I log on each fill up.
Edit: I was going to create a forum table and fill in the details from my Google Doc... Ugh much too hard! Ok here is a direct link to the doc instead!
http://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkJtIJ1UMWxqdGdvYVQ5QzRxeHFnQXY0dkI4Y3dQS2c&usp=sharing
  • 2012 i30 GD CRDi Active manual

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Nice writeup.

Seems like you got the right car... :goodjob:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :whsaid: :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts: :judges:

Nice aftermarket alloys are as cheap as chips!  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Great post! Glad your car is doing well. Looking at your spreadsheet, my car is right on par with yours. :)

If you are looking for affordable rims check out this brand. I have the Pulse style

Speedy Wheels Australia alloy wheels, steel wheels & accessories
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

TheReaper: Those Pulse rims look pretty good. Not too flashy! What I'd really like is a set of the FD Trophy rims, possibly in the grey. I always liked the look of those, plain yet smart!

Happy with the car. Now I'm trying to convince the wife to get a new one too. Although she thinks the i30 is too big compared to her Corolla, maybe an i20 would fit nicely.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
TheReaper: Those Pulse rims look pretty good. Not too flashy! What I'd really like is a set of the FD Trophy rims, possibly in the grey. I always liked the look of those, plain yet smart!

Happy with the car. Now I'm trying to convince the wife to get a new one too. Although she thinks the i30 is too big compared to her Corolla, maybe an i20 would fit nicely.
thanks mate! You may want to try gumtree or junkyards for the rims. May be easier. Or call hyundai parts dealer and see if they could get a set, though that may be the more expensive route. Safer in the bigger i30. But if she is wanting to stay small. I would just get a getz. Saves you the money. As long as she is not driving up any big hills. Ithas no balls, but zippy on flat roads.

Me and the missus may be getting another i30. She loves mine and our vw golf keeps acting up and costing us money and it only has 152, 000k

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Although she thinks the i30 is too big compared to her Corolla, maybe an i20 would fit nicely.

Have you thought about the Hyundai Accent?  :)

They are a very underrated car and size wise they fit between the i20 and the i30....oh, and they are available in both hatch and sedan...

Hyundai Accent - Hyundai Motor Company Australia

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

Although she thinks the i30 is too big compared to her Corolla, maybe an i20 would fit nicely.

Have you thought about the Hyundai Accent?  :)

They are a very underrated car and size wise they fit between the i20 and the i30....oh, and they are available in both hatch and sedan...

Hyundai Accent - Hyundai Motor Company Australia

Yeah I really like the look of the GD Accent... If only they still did the diesel! Maybe I could pick one up second hand :)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yeah, definitely a shame they dropped the diesel.... :fum:  :head_butt:

Offline Hash

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brunswick, Vic
The Elite has a few nice features that can be worth the extra. 
I certainly make use of them and am very happy with my decision to get the Elite (MY14 CCRDi Manual Elite).

A lot of the extra features are useful primairly in winter:
Puddle lamps on the mirrors
Automatic headlights (??on the Active??)
Automatic Wipers!!  (loving this...............)
Automatic windscreen defog!! (coming its own at this time of year and I know it will be handy on my snow trips too!!!!!!!!!!!)

The other stuff I wanted anyhow so it made sense, for me, to get the Elite.
Push button start -keyless entry why do I then want to have to get the key out of my pocket to start the car!??
The Auto on all 4 windows
Alloys + full spare (wasn't the full spare on the Active too???)
Lager screen on the music player makes it a bit easier scrolling through the 16GB USB
Colour LCD MFD between the tacho and speedo (it's an upgraded display/MFD to that of the Active that includes Washer Fluid Low displays and such)
Climate Control AC (Full automatic AC vs Manual AC in Active)
Interior Cabin Lights are differnt too -installed LEDs so now it is way bettter!!

Picked up the car at the end of Jan 2014.  About to clock over 10,000 in it -drive over 550kms a week.  A wee bit over 1000km per tank.
Loving the car!!!
  • i30 Elite CRDi Manual (MY14)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Good to hear good reports from owners. And yes the Actives have a full size spare :) :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Picked up the car at the end of Jan 2014. 

Do you mean 2013?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Hash

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brunswick, Vic

Picked up the car at the end of Jan 2014. 

Do you mean 2013?

Nah, I got mine at the start of this year.  Was on order from November 2013.
Thommo101's thread.  He is the one with 2012 GD i30.
  • i30 Elite CRDi Manual (MY14)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal