i30 Owners Club

Advice for buying a GD circa 2013

ohwreg · 8 · 2657

Offline ohwreg

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I'm looking to buy a 2012-2014 GD most likely with the 1.6 diesel for £3000-£3500. Many of them here in the UK are over 150k miles but I suppose this shouldn't worry me.

What should I look for when buying one? Do they all have timing chains and do they need any changing? Any popular faults overall?

Thanks a lot!
  • i30 2016 SE NAV 1.6 CRDi

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
My partner has a 2011 FD with the same diesel engine, now done 201,000 miles and it hasn't been touched. Having said that, it is getting a bit smoky and slow to start from cold, so I suspect one or more glow plugs aren't working. Engines are chain-cam and shouldn't need changing as long as engine oil & filter are regularly changed. Service interval is 20,000 miles but I change oil at 10,000 and use Shell Helix Professional AG.

I have a 2015 GD, only problem I know about is the rear brake calipers can seize up.

If you have a specific car in mind, I suggest you check the MOT history on-line and see what it has had in the past in the way of fails and advisories. If I see fails due to bald tyres or inadequate brakes, that would tell me that this is a car that has not been looked after. For service history I wouldn't just rely on the service book being filled in, I'd want to see the receipts for those services and any other work done on it.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great advice Brendan..  :cool: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ohwreg

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
@BrendanP I am just eyeing a 2014 i30 which had the following advisory on its MOT this week:
Nearside rear service brake binding but not excessively (1.2.1 (f))

How difficult (expensive) is this to be fixed?

Offline ohwreg

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
After looking at many 2012-2014 i30 GDs I am confused by their wheels.

Do these look like 90-100k miles or something shady going on? Is the steering wheel known to wear out easily?

:link: Hyundai i30 2012-2014 steering wheels - Album on Imgur

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I would expect to pay between £80-£120 for a reconditioned caliper. I'd fit it myself, so there's nothing for labour costs. If the slider pins are corroded or otherwise seized up, that would add maybe an extra £15 or so to replace them. After replacing the caliper you would need to bleed the caliper in that corner, but if I bought a used car without proof that the brake fluid had been changed in the last 18 months, I would renew the brake fluid anyway.

You can save a lot of money  by doing the work yourself, but I wouldn't tackle doing work on the brakes unless you are confident in your abilities.

sheff30 posted this video of stripping down a sticky caliper

:link: I30 handbrake strip - YouTube
  • i30 CRD

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
The steering wheel on my partners car looks better than that after 201,000 miles. Some of the wear and tear may not be age related. The leather may have deteriorated by spending a lot of time in direct sunlight, or the driver might be a nervous type and tended to pick at it with their fingernails, or cleaned it with something inappropriate.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The steering wheel on my partners car looks better than that after 201,000 miles. Some of the wear and tear may not be age related. The leather may have deteriorated by spending a lot of time in direct sunlight, or the driver might be a nervous type and tended to pick at it with their fingernails, or cleaned it with something inappropriate.

:whsaid:

I'd be just putting a steering wheel cover on it from Ebay or similar. Some of the stitch on ones can look great if you take your time.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal