i30 Owners Club

2023 - Any of our members riding their pushy's?

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
I'm back. Lots to discuss. New bikes, failed events, epic rides. Where to start?

I'll begin with the newest bike, a Cannondale gravel bike. Once upon a time all bikes were gravel bikes but these days, you need one that's specifically up to the job and won't fly to bits at the first bump. This machine, known now as Dirty Harry lurks on trails which it chews up and spits out no problem. Long story short, easy to ride, extremely capable, serious tires, goes where it likes. Way more capable than the rider.

So far been down the top end of the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail the last 20 km in the dark as a maiden voyage followed by dinner at the Linville pub with about 50 of my closest friends, most of whom I met on the trail. Imagine 30km/h in the dark downhill on a rough track you've not seen before that's running across the top of the range. That's an epic ride. Under those conditions the world is reduced to the pool of light in front of your wheel, as you make decisions about where to put the wheel so you don't end up on the ground. Nothing else matters. And diving down steep gullies at speed in the dark. Its not natural I tells you but by the end there, not even a moments hesitation as you plunge into the abyss in the dark.

Followed that up with Moore to Toogoolawah and back on the BVRT, about 60km in the daytime. Made more challenging owing to insane numbers of flies and the heat.

And followed that up with some cruising with my wife around the Brunswick heads and a sneak peek at the very soon to be opened Northern Rivers rail trail.

So rail trails are a thing. The old rail corridors provide miles and miles of rural riding on tracks from smooth to extremely rough and everything in between without cars to contend with. Cows and horses yes, but not cars. Its awesome.

On the BVRT between Moore and Toogoolawah.

Rural scenes on the Norther Rivers Rail trail.

More on Harry here:

:link: The bike formerly known as the bike with no name - Keith and Joan's Gallery

More on the BVRT Christmas night ride here:

:link: BVRT Yarraman to Linville - Keith and Joan's Gallery

More on the BVRT here:

:link: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Its quiet, is anyone still riding their pushy?

My wife has taken up riding on a recumbent trike and we get out and about all over the place. We rode the northern rivers rail trail earlier which is just magnificent and followed that up with the MS Ride which turned into a bit of an adventure after being pointed in the wrong direction. Had a good time and made some new friends. Covered a bit more of the BVRT. Have turned into someone who just prefers to cruise about now and Harry the gravel bike is doing most of the work since its easy to ride and comfortable.

Pictures at the link below because I've forgotten how to put them in the post.

:link: Cycling Pics - Keith and Joan's Gallery

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'm still out and about riding my pedelec.

Had it for coming up to 2.5 years and love it as it takes the strain out of the inclines, although not many around the places I tend to ride.

Saying that .... I was away in Scotland last week and the battery assistance came into its own.
Few pics.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Pedal assist is now mainstream and its awesome for helping folks with hills and things. My wife has it on her trike which means she can go almost anywhere now that's not too rough. Great pics btw.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Its quiet, is anyone still riding their pushy?

Pictures at the link below because I've forgotten how to put them in the post.

:link: Cycling Pics - Keith and Joan's Gallery

And you say the image quality of your photos is awful?  Wow, you set yourself a high bar. :)

When I saw these two pics in your collection I couldn't help but add the speech bubbles that went through my mind.

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
We get out on bikes about once a month, more often when the weather is warmer. It's been raining A LOT in Adelaide. When we do, we cycle from the beach to the city zoo and back, pretty much the Torrens track.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal