i30 Owners Club

Replacing steering column on FD due to failed EPS

Offline Spockter

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Wondering about things to look out for when swapping steering column with a used one from the wreckers. For example, should I aim to get keys with the used unit, or can I reuse the ignition barrel from the existing column?

Reason for swapping the steering column is that my auto electrician has diagnosed a hardware fault with the EPS.
EPS light is on and power steering not working. It failed a few weeks ago, came back to life after I disconnected the battery, reconnected, then turned steering to full lock left and right. But then a few days later it failed again and has not worked since.

My mechanic is reluctant to swap in a used part - concerned about potential faults and no warranty.

I am therefore looking at doing it myself.

Car is a diesel 2009 FD manual. It is not covered by the Hyundai faulty power steering recall in Australia - VIN is outside the range.
  • 2009 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Black

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Key has three parts. 1 blade, to unlock door and turn ignition barrel. 2 remote buttons, to unlock/lock doors and boot. 3 little tiny chip inside key shell that communicates with the halo ring around the key hole, which tells the security module (under the dash somewhere) that the car can start. Wrecker part would have different key barrel, but halo ring would send signal to security module that wrong key being used. you would have to swap the blade section over to the old key  shell.

Offline Spockter

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Key has three parts. 1 blade, to unlock door and turn ignition barrel. 2 remote buttons, to unlock/lock doors and boot. 3 little tiny chip inside key shell that communicates with the halo ring around the key hole, which tells the security module (under the dash somewhere) that the car can start. Wrecker part would have different key barrel, but halo ring would send signal to security module that wrong key being used. you would have to swap the blade section over to the old key  shell.

Thanks for that explanation. Unfortunately, the parts sellers I have spoken to so far don't supply keys with the used steering column.

Would it be an easy job to transfer the existing ignition barrel to the replacement column so that existing keys can still be used? 

Offline Spockter

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
The other option I am wondering about is whether I could keep the existing column, but replace the power steering motor and ECU with parts from the used steering column. That would save alot of trouble if it solved the issue.

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I don't remember if they used snap off bolts for security, when I changed my coupler. I do remember cradling the eps motor, trying not to upset any wiring, or move the alignment, for fear of setting a steering angle sensor code.  Given the choice, I don't know if I would risk the SAS requiring calibration (dealer level tech required) or drilling out snap off bolts.  But if they are selling without keys, it must be possible to remove the barrel (or cut blade from serial number)

Offline Spockter

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
My preferred option would be to keep the existing column and replace the ECU and/or power steering motor. That should be possible by lowering the column in place without removing it entirely or affecting the alignment.

Would be great to hear from someone who has attempted this. My concern is that the ECU is somehow how keyed to the sensors in the column so can't be swapped.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have a possible way you might find out a bit more about this from someone who would certainly know.

Fulcrum Suspension's Graham Scudamore-Smith (he's the owner and creator of Fulcrum) pulled my FD steering column out in about 2017
He was experimenting with some new diagnostic tool he'd brought back from a trip to Germany.

I have no idea how much he is involved in the day to day running of the company any more, but if you were to ring their Moorooka (Qld)  head office and try to talk to him it might be worth it. Actually Moorooka was a separate development location. Their main branch is Cooper's Plains now.

If you get him, just remind him it was Trevor Garbett's FD.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Spockter

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Update for anyone reading this thread.

There were two scanner diagnostic faults detected: C1604 ECU hardware error, C1290 torque sensor error. Torque sensor is in the steering column meaning that full steering column replacement would likely be needed.

Bought a steering column from a wrecker. Tried swapping the ECU myself in case that would clear both faults. It cleared the C1604 fault, but unsurprisingly, did not clear the C1290 fault. Power steering still did not work. It also became clear that the replacement ECU would need reprogramming to match the car. 

Spoke to several mechanics who were not confident they could do the job.

Finally found a mechanic confident they could do it. As replacement column did not come with keys, ignition barrel needed to be swapped over. This also meant there was no need to reprogram the keys as existing keys would be reused.

Picked up car. Mechanic said the repair took 3 hours, including
  • assembling a steering column using parts from both the existing one and the one from the wreckers
  • replacing the power steering coupling/bush that frequently causes the steering knock issue with the FD model
  • removal/installation of steering column
  • reprogramming the ECU
All working fine now, so we are happy.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal