i30 Owners Club

GD Tourer #3 (!!!)

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I've just bought my third GD Tourer, and I couldn't be happier. Allow me to tell the story...

I took a job as a sales rep in 2014 (still there after 9 years), and bought a brand new i30 Tourer, White, diesel with the manual transmission. Did 100,000km with it, then stupidly thought I should upgrade and bought a brand new Subaru Outback, again diesel with manual transmission. Worst car I've ever owned, had a litany of issues and design faults, and after 50,000km I sold it. I then had a VE Commodore sedan, a VF Commodore wagon and a Hyundai IX35 diesel, but all that time I had regretted selling my i30 Tourer.

So, late 2021, I bit the bullet after finding another GD Tourer, but this time with the 1.6 GDi Petrol engine and, again, manual transmission. A bloody fantastic car, only had 75,000km and was in great condition. But, it was lacking torque for the big hills, overtaking and towing. I missed that extra 100nm of torque, but also the fuel savings even over the frugal petrol which averages 6.3 odd l/100km. I'd only just polished it and put the 16" steel wheels and chrome trims on it, and it was freshly serviced. I didn't NEED a new car, but...

This lovely blue one came up locally, in beautiful condition, more kms than I would have preferred at 155,000km but with a full service history and with the holy grail diesel + manual transmission combo I'd been hankering for. Also, the dealership I bought it from fitted a new clutch, new rear rotors and pads and from pads and gave it a fresh service. So, I bought it!

GD Tourer # 3! Also, I currently own two GD Tourers   :lol: I've already done the GD-03 stereo upgrade thanks to the excellent tutorial on this site, will fit the black steel wheels onto it, put my roof racks on and probably get a towbar. Honestly I'm feeling pretty damn chuffed with myself. :happydance:

• 2013 Tourer Diesel Manual

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
So you like the GD Tourers then?  Hard to tell from your write-up :snigger:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
So you like the GD Tourers then?  Hard to tell from your write-up :snigger:

Yep haha...I think they're a pretty great thing for the money!

Also they stopped selling i30 Tourers after the GD here in Australia, and we can't get Corolla wagons either since 2007. If you want a 4 cylinder wagon in Australia, there really isn't much to choose from anymore - it's all SUV's here now.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Mazda still make a 4cyl wagon in the Mazda 6 model, also many of the Euro brands do wagons though the prices are crazy.

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
True, and the Mazda 6 wagon has always looked good on paper but they just don't seem to last very well, as is evidence by how the price drops dramatically once they're over a certain age or mileage. Also I don't like the start-stop technology, or any car that has push button start and no keyed ignition.
The only euro wagon that would appeal to me is the Skoda Octavia, which seem to be a pretty well built thing, but for me the i30 offers the best blend of reliability, fuel consumption, ease of parts and servicing and driving experience.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal