i30 Owners Club

My car wont turn off properly

Offline Rich-97

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      East Sussex
I seem to have a problem that when I turn the car off the multimedia stays on and the car wont lock with the button on the key, only the door button (keyless entry) I Disconnected and reconnected the battery but it makes no difference and neither does removing any relays. The car acts as if im still in it

Not sure what to do so if anyone has any idea what my problem could be, that would be amazing!!!
  • 2017 i30 1.6 CRDI

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Rich-97, I believe the often-mentioned workaround with the battery during troubleshooting is to disconnect it for say, a minimum one hour. 

Did you do that?  Not saying it will make a difference with your particular problem but thought I should say something, just in case.
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Rich-97

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      East Sussex
Thanks for the reply. I had the battery disconnected for more than an hour whilst i went to buy a new one as it had just failed on me. That seemed to correct the problem but it has only lasted a week before the fault came back. This is really puzzling me.

My only thought is that it could just be software and i need to reset it somehow
  • 2017 i30 1.6 CRDI

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Thanks for the reply. I had the battery disconnected for more than an hour whilst i went to buy a new one as it had just failed on me. That seemed to correct the problem but it has only lasted a week before the fault came back. This is really puzzling me.

My only thought is that it could just be software and i need to reset it somehow

Ok, so that (i.e. disconnected/reconnected battery one-hour) probably rules out one possible issue for any of our technical guys who hopefully may join in.   

Yeah, the 'on and off again' fault can be the worst to diagnose.  Sorry, but I've got nothing else. :undecided:

Offline Rich-97

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      East Sussex
I have discovered now that if i leave the car for a while (battery still connected) it corrects itself and i can lock it again.

Forgot to mention the steering wheel doesn't lock when this fault happens. Dont know if that helps tell me whats wrong. Thank you
  • 2017 i30 1.6 CRDI

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ Rich-97.  Hi, did you ever get to sorting out your problem?

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I believe there is a key out switch, which if the mechanical steering lock is not engaging, then the car thinks the key is still in the barrel. Some suitable lubricant into the barrel, should allow the mechanism to loosen up and engage the lock and aslo tell the car the key is removed.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I believe there is a key out switch, which if the mechanical steering lock is not engaging, then the car thinks the key is still in the barrel. Some suitable lubricant into the barrel, should allow the mechanism to loosen up and engage the lock and aslo tell the car the key is removed.

Thank you for your post.  Hopefully Rich-97 reads you suggestion, tries it and it works (and s/he tells us the result).

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
A quick spray of pure silicone should do the trick if that's the problem.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal