i30 Owners Club

2022 nline i30 shaking on idle

Malttt · 10 · 2964

Offline Malttt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hey all, just curious if any seen this issue

Started this morning waiting at the set of lights,, next seconds car starts to shake badly engine light flashing on and off, car sounded like a lawn mower really loud complete loss of power when I hit the accelerator.. temp was fine idle was fine also. Was in neutral,, turned the car off  started back up running normal for about 3 kms then turning into work same thing. Have plenty of fuel car has not be modified.  Checked  recall from Hyundai all good on that front.. Got it towed to Hyundai Blacktown where they said they will look at it on the 5th. So no car Not happy for only having the car for 10 months 

Thanks everyone
  • 2017 pd i30

Online TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hey all, just curious if any seen this issue

Started this morning waiting at the set of lights,, next seconds car starts to shake badly engine light flashing on and off, car sounded like a lawn mower really loud complete loss of power when I hit the accelerator.. temp was fine idle was fine also. Was in neutral,, turned the car off  started back up running normal for about 3 kms then turning into work same thing. Have plenty of fuel car has not be modified.  Checked  recall from Hyundai all good on that front.. Got it towed to Hyundai Blacktown where they said they will look at it on the 5th. So no car Not happy for only having the car for 10 months 

Thanks everyone

Hi.  If you could provide some more details it might help our more technically-minded guys (of which I am not one!).

For example:
1.  Have you owned the car from new (so therefore know its history)?
2.  Petrol or diesel model?
3.  Has the car been regularly serviced as per the owners manual?
4.  What is the odometer reading?
5.  Did the problem occur soon after filling up with petrol/diesel?
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Online TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
While waiting, I asked my wife and she said possibly a faulty/damaged catalytic converter that now gets nasty when warmed up. Or, some other exhaust sytem fault especially a leak or a restriction from damaged undercarriage.

Mind you, when the radio won't work she says "catalytic converter?"  :)

Offline Malttt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hey Terry

Yes I have owned the car since new, it’s petrol the car has had  all it services from Hyundai as  per log book The odometer is  under 11k I thought it might be fuel but I have not filled up for over a week always use 98 as well

Thanks for getting back to me
  • 2017 pd i30

Online TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ Malttt.  Hopefully with this additional information someone here with good tech knowledge can weigh in on this conversation.

When you said you turned the car off and restarted it and it ran normal for about 3 kms then you got the problem again, it kind of ruled out dodgy fuel, but I had to ask especially when you mentioned you had plenty of fuel.

If you cannot get any assistance here, after the dealer has diagnosed the problem (hopefully on April 5) would you mind posting the 'results'. It helps builds up the forum's knowledge bank (and my wife wants to know too. :wink:)

So, Blacktown Hyundai will have had your car for 9 days (March 28 ~ April 5) before they can get around to examining it?  To anyone reading this post, does that delay not sound excessive? Or is this the new dealership norm?

Did the dealer supply you with a courtesy car?

Offline Malttt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hey Terry

Yep for sure once I hear from them I will post my result
I asked if they had a courtesy car and they said no they are all booked out till may
So lucky I have another car but had rearrange entire family eg soccer training for the kids work all the fun stuff

To be honest I have 2 now I have a 2017 pd i30 with zero issues  no rattles nice to drive full services bought all the accessories “ yes I am that type of guy “ then this one, has a rattle in the sunroof which started a few months in which has been back to service already a few times to have a look it stops for a while then rattles again. Bought all the accessories as I do first 6 month where my foot heel sits on the floor mat drivers side I had wore thru the carpet called customer care explain the situation said take it back to Hyundai service to have a look. Taken it there and they said no that is excessive and it is not covered under Warrenty. I was not impressed. The floor mats I have in my 2017 are still perfect besides the Std ware and tare

Love my  Hyundai but I am getting shitty lol
  • 2017 pd i30

Offline Malttt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Further to that we are going to replace our main car soon and I am questioning myself if I by another Hyundai
  • 2017 pd i30

Online TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Further to that we are going to replace our main car soon and I am questioning myself if I by another Hyundai

Know and understand the feeling.  I suspect you'd be fair enough to see what the problem turns out to be with the "Nasty" car.   :)

Offline Malttt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hey Terry,

Well pickup the car on Thursday, they found no faults at all.. they mention they could see couple of error codes that indicates that cylinder 1 and 4 had miss fired but that’s all..so they are saying bad fuel and it just took a while to go thru the system. They looked at the sunroof mention they found the clips where loose and they added a washers to resolve the issue ,but once again within a day driving from Sydney to Canberra by the time we hit Goulburn it is rattling so loud now it can be heard from the back seat. So unless it is open or the sunroof blind is closed you can hear it.. so once again another call to Hyundai on Tuesday..

• 2017 pd i30

Online TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi Malttt.  Thanks for the update, appreciated.  So, if I understand things, you've been putting some miles on the car and have not yet experienced the bad shaking at idle/lawnmower noise that you had before?  If so, maybe it was just dodgy fuel.  Fingers crossed.

Sorting the problem with the sunroof sounds like it's going to be like pulling teeth.  :(

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal