i30 Owners Club

Uneven tire pressure

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
From memory, I don't think it did.  Just brand of tyres and the wheel alignment report.

I'm at work, will have to check when I get home.
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Ok, thanks. 
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Spoke with Bridgestone last week and went back this morning and they agreed pressures off, so they adjusted to 36 all around on their gauge, but car shows 38 front and 35 back.

When I spoke with Hyundai last week, she said there’s a button to reset TPMS, but my i30 doesn’t have.  Even Bridgestone looked for it lol.

I’ll see how I go over the week.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I have replied in bold type

[Bridgestone] adjusted to 36 all around on their gauge, but car shows 38 front and 35 back.

At this stage, I would not be concerned about Bridgestone pressures and your car's TPMS dash display.  If you recall in one of my posts I explained that the dash display does NOT show tenths of a psi so, therefore, it is possible that your tyre is as high as 35.9 ps(!)...so no worry imo.

Of more importance, imo, is that you [still] need to get a quality tyre gauge if you are concerned about running correct tyre pressure. 

Buy a gauge.  Practice using it on your tyres so you master connecting the gauge to the tyre valve without losing air.  Once mastered, take your COLD tyre pressures.  Activate your car's TPMS dash display and compare the two sets of readings. Record those readings.  Do the same with HOT tyre pressures. 

You then know what difference in psi there is between your gauge and the car.  For me, 1~2 psi difference between the two is not a concern.  When it gets to 3+ psi I would start to take notice.   When I did this COLD/HOT test a while back with my car, my tyre gauge confirmed that the dash display was accurate to within 1 psi (whereas I believe others have not been so close).

When I spoke with Hyundai last week, she said there’s a button to reset TPMS, but my i30 doesn’t have.  Even Bridgestone looked for it lol.

Yeah well, I would be surprised if you did have a TPMS reset button.  Check your Owners Manual, it's covered in there.  I believe your TPMS is an automatic relearn system for when a TPMS sensor has been replaced, not for tyre inflation.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi Pikapolonica (Vanessa),

It has been three weeks since your last post and by now I would hope that the cause of your problem has been [professionally] identified and fixed.

Would you care to post an update for those of us who were trying to help you?

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Sorry for the late update.  Went back to Bridgestone about a week after my last post and they adjusted the pressures, front avg 36 and rear avg 34.

I don’t have a fancy gauge but it does the job.  No huge discrepancies.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Sorry for the late update.  Went back to Bridgestone about a week after my last post and they adjusted the pressures, front avg 36 and rear avg 34.

I don’t have a fancy gauge but it does the job.  No huge discrepancies.

Vanessa.  So, on 17.04.23 you went to Bridgestone and they reset your tyre pressures to 36psi all round.  On/about 24.04.23 you went back to Bridgestone and they reset the tyres to front 36psi and rear 34psi.  I’m not sure how going back to Bridgestone for tyre pressure resets is addressing the mystery of why, according to your TPMS dash display, the left rear tyre increases by only 1psi from cold to hot (which is ridiculously low) while the other tyres show increases of 3psi (about normal).

On 10.04.23 I asked: "Have you already tried any of the possible solutions I listed in my lengthy post to you on 7 April?   Especially the 'spit' test (Solution #2), which is quick and can tell a lot?”.  I explained how to do a spit test just in case you didn’t know.  A spit test on one tyre valve takes about 30 seconds.

On 11.04.2023 you replied: “Sorry been away for a few days and haven’t been able to do any testing.”  So, in 4~5 days (7 ~11 April), you were unable to find 30 seconds to spit test one tyre valve to eliminate a likely cause of your problem?  And during your last two visits to Bridgestone you didn’t ask a tech to do a spit test?  I find that bewildering. (Presumes, of course, that if you or Bridgestone had done so, you would have surely posted the result before now).   

It would seem from your last update above that, in the absence of anything said to the contrary, you are happy enough with how things are.  So, all good.  Case closed, for me.

Vanessa, you have been a forum member for almost 15 years, so you know what the LIKE button found at the bottom of each post is for.  In this two-page thread there are many instances of people who have pressed that button to show their “like” (e.g. thanks or appreciation) of someone else's posts.  I note that you have not once bothered to press the “Like” button on any of the posts of people trying to help solve your problem, nor have you expressed any appreciation in your postings.  Not once!  Harsh?  Maybe, but true nonetheless.

In my post of 07.04.23 I asked: "I hope this information is useful for you.  It makes it a bit difficult to post replies to people when you don't know their level of knowledge or experience in these things".  You didn’t answer and that should have been a red flag for me that I was wasting my time and effort.   I'm sure others on the forum will still help you with your problems but not me anymore. 

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Geez Terry.
That's a bit harsh.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

TBH I’ve never noticed the like button, so I apologise for that.

Secondly, I don’t log on here regularly, plus I don’t get notifications for replies.  I’m sure there’s a setting someone that I need to check.

Apologies if you feel I’ve dicked you around.  I used to ask my father for help with car stuff, but he passed in November, so now I seek advice from Google and here.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Geez Terry.
That's a bit harsh.

Mate, I understand why some people might think that, and I don't go looking for unnecessary aggravation.  This morning I looked long and hard at all of the posts on this thread that were trying to help this lady and how this whole saga has played out. It was like pulling teeth. 

But if you can show me where I have been wrong or inaccurate in my summation, I'll happily retract my post. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 11:17:49 by TerryT »

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Vanessa, my replies are inserted in bold type

TBH I’ve never noticed the like button [Well, a bit surprising to hear, but ok], so I apologise for that. [Ok, something learned then]

Secondly, I don’t log on here regularly, plus I don’t get notifications for replies.  I’m sure there’s a setting someone that I need to check. [I don't think it was about you not getting notifications, as such, so that wasn't an issue with me]

Apologies if you feel I’ve dicked you around. [Thank you, apology accepted].  I used to ask my father for help with car stuff, but he passed in November [I am sorry to hear that, my condolences] so now I seek advice from Google and here [like I said, there will be people here that will help you].

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Geez Terry.
That's a bit harsh.

Mate, I understand why some people might think that, and I don't go looking for unnecessary aggravation.  This morning I looked long and hard at all of the posts on this thread that were trying to help this lady and how this whole saga has played out. It was like pulling teeth. 

But if you can show me where I have been wrong or inaccurate in my summation, I'll happily retract my post. 
I just don't think it was necessary.
I didn't feel you knew all the circumstances before you posted.
And, given Vanessa's reply I think I was right.

My compliments to her for a well balanced reply.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Geez Terry.
That's a bit harsh.

I just don't think it was necessary.
I didn't feel you knew all the circumstances before you posted.
And, given Vanessa's reply I think I was right.

My compliments to her for a well balanced reply.

"I just don't think it was necessary".  Mate, I disagree, so I guess it's one of those things that we agree to disagree on.  I've moved on, she's moved on, so...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal