i30 Owners Club

2012 i30 CRDi thinks its not in park - wont turn off properly

Offline buxtronix

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
I've just started getting a weird issue with my 2012 CRDi auto. After I put it in park and then pressing the start button to turn it off, it comes up on the display with "shift to P" as if i've left it in gear. Yet just before turning it off, the dash gear indicator shows it in P.

So now the radio doesnt actually turn off, I cannot lock it and it beeps when i leave saying that the keys' not in the car.

I took a video showing whats happening: https://youtube.com/shorts/mOA5i-BdTI8

It might be similar to :link: My car wont turn off properly though that doesnt mention the P shifter issue.

Any hints here? I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, but no luck.
  • 2012 i30 CRDi

Offline buxtronix

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Following up: I suspect the range/inhibitor switch is faulty. It has contacts for the shifter position as well as separate contacts for the start inhibitor and these could be getting into a strange state

I'll test it with a meter this weekend and see if it measures faulty.

• 2012 i30 CRDi

Offline buxtronix

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
I've pretty much ruled out the range/inhibitor switch. I pulled it out and verified with a multimeter that the output signals are exactly as expected when rotated to the various positions (comparing against online diagrams and signal tables). Plugging in with this set to a known good state (correct P signals) gives the same symptoms.

When unplugged, the dash PRND display is blank (and same error), then PRND returns when plugged in (but still same error). I reseated the cabling on the TCM, no luck either. Battery was unplugged for a few days, so that doesn't help.

Could be a bad TCM, but I'd like to rule out anything else first, though I'm kinda stuck now.
  • 2012 i30 CRDi

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi, Don't know the exact way the car works, but it sounds like the transmission is reporting back that it is not in park, and the range/ inhibitor switch controls the dashboard display, and not fully linked with ecu ( the car will probably operate normaly  without the display ). Can you feel the auto trans shifting into and out of gears? I tried to see on the video, but it is just out of frame, and I noticed the handbrake is on. And does anybody reading know, can a scan tool can read live data from the trans to determine gear selection output to the ecm/bcm? Also, if fitted, is the cruise control working? One would assume it reads the transmission state before engaging.

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I was going to add, when in "Park" is the transmission actually locked, i.e. does not roll with handbrake off ?
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline buxtronix

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
I had some time over the weekend to dig into this further and open the center console to get to the shifter lever mechanism. It turns out that there is a microswitch in there which detects the P position, it's in the middle of this photo:

I gave it a few flicks with a finger, then re-seated the connector (lower right), and the symptoms all went away! So probably either gunk in the switch or a bit of corrosion on the connector pins. ( (perhaps the switch will fail fully soon, but now I know what to do).)

It turns out this problem is fairly well documented, but moreso for keyed ignitions rather than pushbutton. For keyed ignitions, the main complaint is that the key can't be removed. Searching for "hyundai key stuck in ignition" shows basically the same fault. The symptoms are just a bit different on keyless cars.

Glad to have resolved it. I am just a little annoyed that the ECU didn't raise a DTC/fault given the discrepancy between the range/inhibitor switch and the lever switch.

(And @Aye30 my OBD scanner could display the position of the transmission's range switch, so its there, but it didnt find the code for the shifter microswitch).
  • 2012 i30 CRDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal