i30 Owners Club

FD wont start after airbag release

Offline blastslayer

• 2nd Gear
Hi

yesterday, mrs drove into the garage door, thought it was in reverse and released airbags.

friends door round the way, thats another issue in itself ofcourse...  We want to get it moved back home only 10 minute drive but it wont start

clicking sounds, but theres no action at the starter motor tho

Im guessing the airbag has released a signal to disable the car?
doesnt seem to be key fob, as the car key light is illuminated as per normal

any help, greatly appreciated
  • 2010 i30 sx, Auto, hatch 1.6l ...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Bugger! I did a google search and I think you are right. Common feature to disable start when airbags triggered.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Car+won%27t+start+after+airbags+triggered&oq=Car+won%27t+start+after+airbags+triggered&aqs=chrome..69i57.14767j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'd ring Hyundai dealer for advice.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline blastslayer

• 2nd Gear
yea definately no flat battery, and the car is clearly not damaged enough to be a mechanical fault

any idea what is disabled? fuse or?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
May sound dumb but it's in park or neutral when you start?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You could try disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for a minimum of 30 minutes to reset the BCM/ECU. That can fix a multitude of issues. I'd give that a better than 50% chance of working. Still think a quick call to Hyundai is your easiest way of sorting it though (if battery reset doesn't work).  :undecided:

BMWs have a Battery safety switch for this situation which i think needs to be replaced but a quick google doesn't bring up that system for Hyundais.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
You could try disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for a minimum of 30 minutes to reset the BCM/ECU. That can fix a multitude of issues. I'd give that a better than 50% chance of working. Still think a quick call to Hyundai is your easiest way of sorting it though (if battery reset doesn't work).  :undecided:

BMWs have a Battery safety switch for this situation which i think needs to be replaced but a quick google doesn't bring up that system for Hyundais.
I saw nothing in the user manual, also I've started an Auto with deployed bags and tensioners from the auctions with no issue

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Has bonnet been moved from its normal position in impact?

If so there is a alarm/disabling switch in engine area that is pressed in by the closed bonnet. That may not be full depressed.

Have you checked fuses to make sure all are ok.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Hi

yesterday, mrs drove into the garage door, thought it was in reverse and released airbags.

Was it all the airbags?

Seats, side, 2 front etc

Offline blastslayer

• 2nd Gear
All i can find is 80a fuse for the glow plug blown under bonnet, small box left hand side

Button on bonnet completes security yes, but not affect startup

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Would be a good move to replace the blown 80A fuse to start with.

Not sure if that would have any bearing on your starter motor failing to crank though...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline blastslayer

• 2nd Gear
Yep, no start, no idea

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

All i can find is 80a fuse for the glow plug blown under bonnet, small box left hand side

Button on bonnet completes security yes, but not affect startup
Replace fuse, as if plugs not warming up this may effect starting, and then try again.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
You may have to grab  a meter and do some old fashioned fault finding to establish what voltages are present.

Check battery volatage is at the starter
Check battery voltage when key turned
Check what voltage is at the solenoid when key turn
Check / swapout starter relay in fuse box
Check starter cct interlocks
Check fuses

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
From what you suggest you have now got a steering airbag on your lap, dash blown out and front seatbelts locked ?
Yes?
NO??

You don't mention the extent of the front panel damage.

The front crash sensors are on each side of the radiator. Small yellow plastic things. Its hit and miss  :rolleyes: if you have triggered one.
Usually you can start the car and drive it after the prang.

Possibly one is permanently on or the cable is pinched. Follow the cable to the left of the radiator. Large plug> unplug it.

You are assuming that it is bag sensor, but the symptom sounds like bad battery to starter motor connection.
Follow that line too.

If you have blown bags forget a Dealer, 2nd hand repair kit will cost about $500-$700 plus 2 days labour.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:23:06 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
From what you suggest you have now got a steering airbag on your lap, dash blown out and front seatbelts locked ?
Yes?
NO??

You don't mention the extent of the front panel damage.

The front crash sensors are on each side of the radiator. Small yellow plastic things. Its hit and miss  :rolleyes: if you have triggered one.
Usually you can start the car and drive it after the prang.

Possibly one is permanently on or the cable is pinched. Follow the cable to the left of the radiator. Large plug> unplug it.

You are assuming that it is bag sensor, but the symptom sounds like bad battery to starter motor connection.
Follow that line too.

If you have blown bags forget a Dealer, 2nd hand repair kit will cost about $500-$700 plus 2 days labour.
@nzenigma  Sounds like an insurance job, write-off and start again, plenty of cheap ones getting around

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Yes mate,  For that age of car only I (  :wacko:  ) would bother, and only because I have two kits in Shed 2.

Problem I have   :crazy1:  is that @blastslayer hasn't been clear about the damage , he says bags, Lester asked which ones >no bloody answer.

yea definately no flat battery, and the car is clearly not damaged enough to be a mechanical fault
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yes mate,  For that age of car only I (  :wacko:  ) would bother, and only because I have two kits in Shed 2.

Problem I have   :crazy1:  is that @blastslayer hasn't been clear about the damage , he says bags, Lester asked which ones >no bloody answer.

The answer should be , driver only unless there was a passenger with a full frontal

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
never seen that, tap on the nose will blow everything in the front including both seat belts. Left and Right side curtains are separate and include the left or right seat bag .

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
never seen that, tap on the nose will blow everything in the front including both seat belts. Left and Right side curtains are separate and include the left or right seat bag .
Ok, maybe not this one, always thought if no passenegr was detected then it did not activate

Offline blastslayer

• 2nd Gear
was a tap on the nose yes, no side airbags, but the passenger airbag deployed even with no passenger.  Havent checked the seatbelts
Will have a look at the plugs either side of radiator
Battery is fully recharged too

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
was a tap on the nose yes, no side airbags, but the passenger airbag deployed even with no passenger.  Havent checked the seatbelts
Will have a look at the plugs either side of radiator
Battery is fully recharged too
  The red wagon I stripped both bags deployed also meant both front retractors were fired and locked / throw away.

You may get lucky.

"The pre-tensioners will not be activated
if the seat belts are not being worn
at the time of the collision."

I put a car through a closed roller door once when I slipped and went full throttle with my body hanging out the door. Frightening experiemce :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I put a car through a closed roller door once when I slipped and went full throttle with my body hanging out the door. Frightening experiemce :crazy1:

Jeepers!  :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ok that's a bit more useful, thanks for coming back bslayer.
not sure where you got this Gerard:

So far, every FD with blown bags I have repaired or checked has had both pre-tensioners activated. It makes sense that all front systems go off, if for some reason the passenger isn't detected, it dies.

To date every car with bags activated or with damaged front loom has been drivable.

If you want to run it why not run a jumper down to the starter motor? If the bag module had caused the ECU to shut down, you wouldn't be getting a clicking sound.
Try and find that click, my bet is its the starter  solenoid. If so, jumper it.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:crap: :weneedpics: :weneedpics: :weneedpics:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Ok that's a bit more useful, thanks for coming back bslayer.
not sure where you got this Gerard:

So far, every FD with blown bags I have repaired or checked has had both pre-tensioners activated. It makes sense that all front systems go off, if for some reason the passenger isn't detected, it dies.

To date every car with bags activated or with damaged front loom has been drivable.

If you want to run it why not run a jumper down to the starter motor? If the bag module had caused the ECU to shut down, you wouldn't be getting a clicking sound.
Try and find that click, my bet is its the starter  solenoid. If so, jumper it.
straight from the owners manual

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I thought that would be the source, maybe they had a rethink.  :head_butt:

You can tell what has gone down because the drivers belt is locked 'loose' and the passenger one is often locked tight into the pillar.

PS. actually Im very sorry to hear about your roller door.  :blubber:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

:crap: :weneedpics: :weneedpics: :weneedpics:

1995, 7am Sunday morning, 18 yalumba St Kingston. $600 worth to fix back then.  Sorry only got after shot with it still in one piece 23 years later

@nzenigma  @nzenigma @nzenigma @nzenigma @nzenigma @nzenigma

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :brilliant: :ta: :judges:

:D Bliss, two consecutive posts with pictures.

1. mate glad you survived   :goodjob2:

2. I accept that is what is in the handbook, however I keep finding passenger belts pulled hard into the B pillar. Two possible reasons, both fronts blow irrespective of occupancy, OR passengers never wear a belt. :crazy1:

In regard to this non starting car, has the notion been canvased  that the position of Park and Neutral start switch has been changed by the impact?
Can possibly be overcome by pushing on the gear lever, or just putting +12v on the starter, as above.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 22:12:36 by nzenigma »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:brilliant: :ta: :judges:

:D Bliss, two consecutive posts with pictures.

1. mate glad you survived   :goodjob2:

2. I accept that is what is in the handbook, however I keep finding passenger belts pulled hard into the B pillar. Two possible reasons, both fronts blow irrespective of occupancy, OR passengers never wear a belt. :crazy1:

In regard to this non starting car, has the notion been canvased  that the position of Park and Neutral start switch has been changed by the impact?
Can possibly be overcome by pushing on the gear lever, or just putting +12v on the starter, as above.

True, it could be wrong.

Granted there are many ways to skin a cat but twice  interlocks have been mentioned and first question I asked as may seem an obvious oversight.

May sound dumb but it's in park or neutral when you start?

You may have to grab  a meter and do some old fashioned fault finding to establish what voltages are present.

Check battery volatage is at the starter
Check battery voltage when key turned
Check what voltage is at the solenoid when key turn
Check / swapout starter relay in fuse box

Check starter cct interlocks

Check fuses

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal