i30 Owners Club

Chrome Tailgate Strip (for PD)

Griffy · 7 · 1894

Offline Griffy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, ACT
Hi all,

Has anyone have any experience or tips for me with a DIY install of the back chrome tailgate strip? It seems like a peel and paste sort of job based on youtube clips for other car DIYs but thought I'd ask the question.

All tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated like how to ensure I paste it straight the first time around or how I should 'prime' the area before (apart from giving it a good wipe) etc.

Said strip is this one: :link: Chrome Tailgate Strip / Moulding - Part no. HYG4491ADE00STK - Phil Gilbert Hyundai

I don't have any experience in car exterior mods before so hence I am starting small on this minor bling upgrade for the SR as I find the tailgate a bit lack luster, unlike the N-Lines.

Thanks!
  • 2017 i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Griffy,

When I've had to line up decals on the side of a couple of my past cars, I've used that easy to remove blue masking tape as a guide. I can adjust that if necessary by applying slowly and repositioning until i have the top of it just a smidgen under where i want the bottom of the decal or in this case, the trim to be.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Griffy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, ACT
Thanks Dazz, that's a great idea I didn't even think about. Cheers  :goodjob2:
  • 2017 i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dazz, that's a great idea I didn't even think about. Cheers  :goodjob2:

:happydance: no worries I love helping people it is my best thing!  :D

Offline need4speed

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
Hi there!

i did mine with the assistance of this instruction i found on the internet the last days:

Step 1: Do a practice run
The old woodworking saying “Measure twice, cut once” applies here, at least in sentiment. Before peeling and sticking any chrome edge trim to your vehicle, hold it against the application area and eyeball it. Make sure it looks good from every angle, and that the chrome trim tape is positioned precisely where you want it. Depending on the part of your car getting trim, you may want to use refrigerator magnets of the flat, flexible variety as placeholders to guide where the trim should go. These magnets can easily stick to your door, for instance, and can be removed afterward, leaving no hassle or residue behind. If your trim will circle a taillight or is otherwise curved, wrap your unpeeled chrome trim strips around the target area and gauge the length, placement, and appearance. A good fit, which is what leads to a great look, is key.

Step 2: Clean Up
That means washing your car and your own hands. Stick-on chrome trim works best if it actually, you know, sticks on, and one of the key ways to ensure a strong adhesive bond is to make sure no dust, grime, oils, or whatever get between your vehicle and the new tape. Get rid of all spots and splats, water spots and wax residue. Finish off the area where the chrome auto trim will be applied by wiping the surface down with a paint-safe solvent or rubbing alcohol and cotton towel free of oils, dye, and lint.

Step 3: Stick the trim
This is the step all of that prep and practice was for. Fit a line of chrome trim into place by peeling the backing off and pressing the strip down with firm, even pressure, smoothing it out as you go. Consider rubbing it with a new, clean cloth along the way.

Step 4: Let it rest
Give your new chrome trim strips time to set properly to be sure they stick the way they should. Three to five days is generally considered best, but a 24-hour no-washing window is the absolute minimum. Leave the adhesive alone to let it do its thing, then enjoy a long, beautiful relationship with your new chrome trim.

Hope it helps!

Martin
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Martin and thanks for that helpful post.

Offline Griffy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, ACT
Thanks Martin,

Your detailed steps is very helpful for me to go by :goodjob:

I hope to purchase and stick the chrome strip over the Christmas period and hope to post back the results.
  • 2017 i30 PD SR Premium

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal