i30 Owners Club

Which adapters will fit FD low beam?

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Sorry for bringing up the old topic but does anyone know which adapters will fit FD low beam? My JW Speaker Direct Fit arrived but I'm still looking for adapters. The reason I'm asking this because I see the type of FD's low beam is a spring lock so I'm not sure which adapters will fit
  • 2011 Hyundai i30 FD Trophy Auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sorry for bringing up the old topic but does anyone know which adapters will fit FD low beam? My JW Speaker Direct Fit arrived but I'm still looking for adapters. The reason I'm asking this because I see the type of FD's low beam is a spring lock so I'm not sure which adapters will fit
If your bulbs are spring clip secured then you don’t need adaptors, adaptors are only required if the bulb is secured with the power plug.

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
If your bulbs are spring clip secured then you don’t need adaptors, adaptors are only required if the bulb is secured with the power plug.

I tried to fit those in and I gave up. The room behind the headlight in FD isn't great to fit the JW Speaker Direct fit. I might have to look for another kit.
BTW I'm up to sell those H7 Led kit if anyone interested.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I tried to fit those in and I gave up. The room behind the headlight in FD isn't great to fit the JW Speaker Direct fit. I might have to look for another kit.
Is it not possible to remove the light housings? one of our handy FD owners might be able to give easy instructions for you :undecided: 

I don’t think you’ll find smaller bulbs than the JW’s, they’re the most compact LEDs I’ve come across.

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Is it not possible to remove the light housings? one of our handy FD owners might be able to give easy instructions for you :undecided: 

I don’t think you’ll find smaller bulbs than the JW’s, they’re the most compact LEDs I’ve come across.

Were you able to fit those bulbs into your GD's housing without having to relocate the ring? I have to move the ring closer to the 6 LED chips to be able to fit them in. That left me no space between the light and the car frame

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The H7 ring needs to be at the base so that the full length of the bulb is within the housing.

Yes, on my GD the bulbs went straight in, I only had to adjust the rings angle so the bulbs position was vertical when seated.

I also required rubber boots to extend the rear cover for more room, I’m not sure if FD’s require that though :undecided:

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Sadly I couldn't fit them in if the ring seated at the base. If I move the ring, the distance between the ring and led chips are shorter then the centre point in the housing will be different though. :confused:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If the bulb isn’t all the way in I’d expect the beam to be incorrect, as with the standard bulb the ring is at the base.

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Here's the one I bought.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

It's really easy (only 2 or 3 easy access bolts on the top)

:link: Headlight replacement in FD i30

:link: Hyundai i30 how to remove and replace headlight - YouTube

:link: Replace lightbulb on Hyundai i30 (Quick instruction) - YouTube

:link: Hyundai i30 how to remove and replace headlight - YouTube

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Compared to halogen bulb

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The last picture looks right and the element is inline :goodjob:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 18:11:55 by CraigB »