i30 Owners Club

Rear Bumper Protector and Hood Deflector for FD Wagon

sibbity · 16 · 3366

Offline sibbity

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Rust Belt, USA
Hello all,

I'm looking for a rear bumper protector for my 2011 Elantra Touring (cw). Hyundai USA doesn't make them anymore and none of the dealers I've been in touch with have any available. Additionally, it seems that certain accessories are market specific, even for the same function, as the European bumper protector images that I've seen look completely different (and superior to) the US version.

I have found a few possible options on eBay from manufacturers like OPPL and RGM, but the shipping from Europe to the States ends up tripling the total cost of the part, which dampens my enthusiasm. I've also seen the generic rubber roll out style, but it seems like quality with those could be hit or miss.

I asked a dealer in Canada about a bumper protector a hood deflector for good measure. These were the two parts they told me of:

Rear Bumper Protector  G3H27-AC200
Plastic Hood Protector Harwdare  G3H24-AP000H

However, they did not provide pictures, so it is tough to tell exactly what these parts look like. I have had no luck getting pics from the internet. Before ordering, I want to make sure that the bumper protector is not a film style protector. Anyone here, especially Canadians, have any experience with these parts?

Thanks,
sibbity

• 2011 FD 5 Door Wagon, Gas 2.0l, Auto, Silver (US Elantra Touring)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
When I googled that first code it came up with an image from Hyundai Canada which appeared to be a clear film cut to size.

Can I ask why you don't want a clear film version? I know the generic ones can be a bit tricky to cut to size but they work well and are cost effective and discreet.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sibbity

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Rust Belt, USA
I've got a 70 pound dog who will be moving in and out and I don't have confidence in a film holding up to his claws. With hard plastic, I could  put some truck bed liner on there to hold up better.

That pic seems to be of a PD hatch, so it may be a similar item. I may have to press for more details or ask a different Canadian dealer to get a definite answer.

It's a strange position I find myself in with this car. It's in great condition now, so I'd like to take care of it. It's new enough that nice accessories like these still exist, but old enough that they can be very challenging to get ahold of, though usually at quite discounted price if I can. I'll be sure to post some pics once I get all the bits and bobs found and installed.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice work Mick. Some good finds there. :goodjob:

@sibbity

You might find a local upholsterer/awning maker might be able to custom make something out of rubber or vinyl?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

@sibbity

You might find a local upholsterer/awning maker might be able to custom make something out of rubber or vinyl?
Just passing a bit of time at Wagga, bit of smoke & no fires.
Yep plenty of options around.  Must say , solid dog .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@sibbity

Just passing a bit of time at Wagga, bit of smoke & no fires.
Yep plenty of options around.  Must say , solid dog .

I like Wagga Wagga (so good they named it twice) bit like a couple of the "massages" I've had there on our travels...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@sibbity

Have a look at post #45 in this thread for a DIY solution! I cut the top off some new gumboots that were too tall for comfort.. Worked a treat. :snigger:

:link: You've got to be kidding me. SR shafted now!

Before (it was damaged in an accident, as per thread I linked to)

Afterwards...

Offline sibbity

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Rust Belt, USA
Thank you all for the bevy of suggestions! I checked with another Hyundai Canada dealer, and they told me those two part numbers I posted are not for the FD. They said they don't have a model specific bumper protector anymore, but they did mention a fold out flap model similar to one mickd's suggestions above. I'm leaning towards that style, since I already have the tray style cargo area protector from the prior owner.

Here is Chance, alongside an old yoga mat, getting used to being in the back.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
How hard is it to purchase from USA?

Found this , But I think a fold out mat or simply have something  like  waht you have laid out on the liner and just sllide it out for the dog. I think the bumper will get scrathed up even with that item I have linked if the dog slips or gets on the edges

U8390-2L000

:link: U8390-2L000 - Genuine Hyundai Parts

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline sibbity

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Rust Belt, USA
How hard is it to purchase from USA?

Found this , But I think a fold out mat or simply have something  like  waht you have laid out on the liner and just sllide it out for the dog. I think the bumper will get scrathed up even with that item I have linked if the dog slips or gets on the edges

U8390-2L000

:link: U8390-2L000 - Genuine Hyundai Parts

For some inane reason, HyundaiPartsDeal and many other online Hyundai parts dealers I checked with list parts on their websites that they neither have in stock nor are capable of ordering any more units of. They also only tell you this AFTER you place your order and give them your payment information. I got a great deal from them on floormats and mudguards but they let me down on the bumper protector and roof rack cross rails (found a set of those on eBay thankfully).

At the end of the day, a car used daily is going to get dinged up no matter what I do. I'm just glad I have the opportunity to worry about such small things.  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Gerard makes a very good point. A fold out protector will give better protection from animal scratches than something just on the top edge.

Offline Fury

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I used to be a motor trimmer and have done several of these.  There is currently a PVC material, called Protex ripstop / side curtain. It is used on the sides of semi-trailer/transport truck curtains, very tough and really doesn't even need to be sewn ... just cut with good scissors. I think its 900Grams per mtr in weight. It could be stapled under the rear cargo base and folded or rolled and when in use, just flapped over the entire bumper.

It's also quite affordable and widely available from most trimmers I would imagine. I didn't take note of your location, if you're in Australia, I can provide a supplier if required. 

A number of colors too!

Not sure if I can post a link, Admin please remove if not allowed  :link: Reinforced PVC | ProTEX Side Curtain | The Nolan Group
  • 2009 FD SR 5 Door Hatch, petrol 2.0lt, Auto, Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks very much "Fury" no problem at all posting a safe link.  :goodjob:

@sibbity

Hopefully that stuff is called the same name in the USA, no doubt they would have something similar anyway..  :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal