i30 Owners Club

i30 PD active LED headlights

nogun · 275 · 55995

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi all

I'm a newbie here, just got my active and am quite impressed with how featured it is for the base model. The only thing that has irked me so far is the colour difference between the daytime LED strip and the nighttime driving lights. I installed high temperature H7 halogens but they just don't cut it.

After reading through a few pages here and on other sites it seem that LED lights need a power adapter (i am guessing the 55W socket just won't do) and the space is very limited. Some people mentioned that the dust cap needs to be cut.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with swapping these out? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I was planning on eventually doing mine with the JTX bulbs though the current police blitz here on vehicles with non factory headlights have given me second thoughts.

No power adaptor is necessary with these bulb as they use 50W though depending on how your bulbs are secured (lock spring or power plug) you might still require an adaptor to secure the bulb if its locked in with the power plug.

:link: 1 pr H7 JTX LED Globes Bulbs 12v 24v 6000 Lumen 50w | eBay

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
I was planning on eventually doing mine with the JTX bulbs though the current police blitz here on vehicles with non factory headlights have given me second thoughts.
Not heard about this WA crackdown mate, my LED indicators are certainly attention grabbing  :sweating:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not heard about this WA crackdown mate, my LED indicators are certainly attention grabbing  :sweating:
You'll be right, they're only concentrating on the low beam head lights :goodjob2:

With the better made bulbs like Philips - JTX etc, that aren't excessively bright and are correctly focused using the right bulb type for identical beam pattern you would probably never have a problem on a car that's modern enough (even though still illegal), older cars are easily picked as well as to bright and poorly focused.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
After reading through a few pages here and on other sites it seem that LED lights need a power adapter (i am guessing the 55W socket just won't do) and the space is very limited.

Not quite. LED lights in general use way less electricity than halogens, in the order of 15 tp 30% of the halogen consumption. The issue is that most LED headlight globes have a larger body to them that incorporates a cooling fan. This is what doesn't fit in lieu of the halogen H7. It will fit into the headlight, but the dust cap cannot be used with it so you could potentially open your headlight insides to contamination. If I was to go LED on my PD, I would find a way to seal the reflectors back up.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
After reading through a few pages here and on other sites it seem that LED lights need a power adapter (i am guessing the 55W socket just won't do) and the space is very limited.

Not quite. LED lights in general use way less electricity than halogens, in the order of 15 tp 30% of the halogen consumption. The issue is that most LED headlight globes have a larger body to them that incorporates a cooling fan. This is what doesn't fit in lieu of the halogen H7. It will fit into the headlight, but the dust cap cannot be used with it so you could potentially open your headlight insides to contamination. If I was to go LED on my PD, I would find a way to seal the reflectors back up.
Generally LED’s still require a canbus/no error inline adaptor so the same current is then converted for the LEDs without setting off warning systems.

The JTX bulbs don’t require the canbus conversion adaptors since they still use 50W and the vehicle will see them as normal bulbs making the easier for plug and play, another benefit of this design is the use of a heat sink rather than fan driven, fan driven bulbs are more unreliable and require much more space behind the fan for cooling efficiency.

If space allows you would need to purchase rubber domed dust caps of a suitable size to attach to your standard dust caps which will then accommodate the extra length of the heat sink.

Socket adapters may still be required for the LEDs to mount into the factory socket if you happen to have bulbs that secure with the power plug.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm still quite keen to do this in my SR. I thought someone had advertised an LED option with a heat sink that would fit in the PD headlights without additional mods?  :undecided:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
As an electronics engineer, I find the whole 'CANBUS no error' feature pretty crude. The car's logic system uses the reduced current seen when a globe blows (open circuit) as a convenient way to inform of a problem. Some makers pass off the flasher race effect (where your indicators seem to suffer double-speed palpitations) as a clever safety feature when it is simply the effect it has on the time constant of the oscillator circuit when exposed to the reduced current draw.

What's so unimpressive about this is that LEDs don't tend to blow, so such a feature becomes a poor design excuse. The lower current draw of LEDs is where you reduce your wattage and save energy, but the way CANBUS compatibility is too often done is by shunting the LED with a big fat resistor to draw enough current in parallel to match what the old globe would have, then burn it off as heat - not my idea of a step up at all!

When I exchanged my amber incandescent front turn signal globes for LED DRL combos, I cut the chunky 6R 5W resistors off and invested in a neat $2 electronic adjustable flasher unit to swap for the OEM one under the steering column. Being electronic rather than electromechanical, its time constant is independent of current draw (uses a 555 timer IC) and now I'm truly saving energy.

Moral of the story: don't expect a CANBUS compatible design to save you energy, and be prepared for a new source of heat!
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Thanks for all your replies guys, quite informative. I was hoping for a simple plug and play, but i guess the dust caps are the biggest concern. As pointed out, i think i should measure one in diameter and find something similar, i guess figuring out the depth of the bulb itself would be the difficult part without buying it.

I shall look into the JTX bulbs, maybe order some online and look at how easily they will fit into the clips and the distance they stick out.

I shall let you know how I go once i receive the bulbs.

I would have thought LED conversions would have been more common for this car than it is. I guess most people are happy with their lights... damn my OCD.
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm still quite keen to do this in my SR. I thought someone had advertised an LED option with a heat sink that would fit in the PD headlights without additional mods?  :undecided:
JTX advertise that the dust caps will go back on with most of their installations though on my GD the caps are so close that rubber boots would be required.

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I looked into the JTX lights, seems they are quite long 88.38 x 50 (widest) from the ebay you linked.

has anyone considered these? they are 76 x 40. seems like they should fit with no dust cap issues? I really should go measure this out on the car.

:link: PHILIPS H7 LED Ultinon 6200K +160% White Car Headlight Bulbs Kit 12V With CANbus 8727900398618 | eBay
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I looked into the JTX lights, seems they are quite long 88.38 x 50 (widest) from the ebay you linked.

has anyone considered these? they are 76 x 40. seems like they should fit with no dust cap issues? I really should go measure this out on the car.

:link: PHILIPS H7 LED Ultinon 6200K +160% White Car Headlight Bulbs Kit 12V With CANbus 8727900398618 | eBay
They are completely the wrong type to suit if replacing H7 bulbs, there is no capped end to give the correct cut off.

They must use the same or similar ends like the JTX or these Philips bulbs for the correct beam pattern (the below linked Philips are a high/low type bulb) :link: 1 pr H7 Philips Ultinon LED Globes Bulbs 12v & 24v +160% Brighter | eBay

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

They are completely the wrong type to suit if replacing H7 bulbs, there is no capped end to give the correct cut off.

They must use the same or similar ends like the JTX or these Philips bulbs for the correct beam pattern (the below linked Philips are a high/low type bulb) :link: 1 pr H7 Philips Ultinon LED Globes Bulbs 12v & 24v +160% Brighter | eBay

Ah, i see what you mean. Well, 225 AUD for a set of lights. I mean, sure if they last 10 years. Might try the JTX then. Cheers :)
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Or from the same store you linked are these Philips H7 :link: Philips H7 LED X-treme Ultinon gen2 6500K +250% Car Headlight Bulbs 11972XUWX2 8719018060143 | eBay

Though these type use the correct single beam and correct end cap they still use the inline canbus adaptors and are even brighter which could be a concern.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'd want to be sure I was keeping my car for a while if I go with those...  :cool:

Thanks for the links guys.. interesting.

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
So i got the JTX LEDs, tested them to try install them and the issue i ran into is that the LED holder does not clip into the bulb holder. See attached image.

The power socket is the actual holder to the light fixture, is there a work around to this other than trying to wedge it in because im sure the angle would be quite off.
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So i got the JTX LEDs, tested them to try install them and the issue i ran into is that the LED holder does not clip into the bulb holder. See attached image.

The power socket is the actual holder to the light fixture, is there a work around to this other than trying to wedge it in because im sure the angle would be quite off.
I hope those pictures aren’t the bulbs you bought as they’re not JTX lights.

As mentioned many times Adapters are required for the low beam headlights :link: H7 Headlight Bulb LED Sockets Adapters Base For Hyundai Coupe Sonata K3/4/5 | eBay

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Thanks for the adaptor i also got the rubber extenders....

this is what i bought :link: 1 pr H7 JTX LED Globes Bulbs 12v 24v 6000 Lumen 50w | eBay

and going by the photo, i was so excited to try them i didnt even realise they look so different. You're right, time to raise a refund :(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:40:00 by nogun »
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
After all this hopefully the collar or base on the JTX lights are removable so that the adapters are able to be fitted :fingers:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I adapted my new turn indicator / DRL combo modules using rubber grommets and precision bent coat hanger wire, so anything's possible. :victory: :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Ingenuity at its greatest. Once they agree to send me the lights i wanted i shall have some hangers at hand.

After this i do want to change out the tail lights to the LED ones, might have to pay the wreckers a visit.
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ingenuity at its greatest. Once they agree to send me the lights i wanted i shall have some hangers at hand.

After this i do want to change out the tail lights to the LED ones, might have to pay the wreckers a visit.

Yeah, they are so much nicer than the  standard tail lights and if you can source them from a wreckers, so much more affordable than the arm, leg and 1st born child the dealers want...

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
So just a general update for anyone interested...

The supplier of the JTX lights on ebay said that the big bulbed lights are the only LED H7 they have which is quite misleading from the photos.

In addition, the 70mm rubber dust covers slip straight into the headlight, they seem to be a little small diameter wise so i have purchased 75mm and will update the post once i confirm they work.

This has been a good learning curve i guess.
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That’s false advertising :disapp: personally I return them for a refund as those bulbs are not fit for purpose and report their deceptive tactics to eBay.

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

• Adelaide Hills and beyond
That’s false advertising :disapp: personally I return them for a refund as those bulbs are not fit for purpose and report their deceptive tactics to eBay.
This. eBay love protecting buyers so don't settle for anything less than a return/refund.
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch Petrol 2.0lt Manual Go Platinum Silver

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Yep raised a refund, that means my only option is the Philips $240 slim line ones :(

Well actually, I just noticed it is the same seller on all 3. I am guessing he has had a fun time lying to people.

:link: 1 pr H7 Philips Ultinon LED Globes Bulbs 12v 24v +160% Brighter JTX - X | eBay
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yep raised a refund, that means my only option is the Philips $240 slim line ones :(

Well actually, I just noticed it is the same seller on all 3. I am guessing he has had a fun time lying to people.

:link: 1 pr H7 Philips Ultinon LED Globes Bulbs 12v 24v +160% Brighter JTX - X | eBay
Don't bother with those Philips ones either, they're a "High/Low" type as I mentioned earlier.

The type required with Philips are like these single beams :link: Philips H7 LED X-treme Ultinon gen2 6500K +250% Car Headlight Bulbs 11972XUWX2 8719018060143 | eBay I'm not sure if I would be comfortable buying from Russia though :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
There is also the new Philips Lumileds :link: Pair Philips H7 12000LM LED Headlight KIT White Beam Replace Xenon Halogen Globe 501560109092 | eBay though they are 6000Lm per bulb which is extremely bright, they also require the Canbus adaptors I linked in the previous post.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Another kit I just found by Narva in a suitable design :link: Narva | H7 12/24V LED CONVERSION KIT

Currently on sale at SCA :link: Narva LED Headlight Kit - H7 | Supercheap Auto and still cheaper though Rolan's eBay store :link: Narva H7 12/24 Volt LED Conversion Kit (18008) 9350156004683 | eBay
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 14:19:10 by CraigB »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal