i30 Owners Club

Hyundai I30 Map Care for Car Navigation system & downloading calling list

Indra W · 73 · 50753

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
My new I30 GD Elite which I collected last week in Australia, has the factory fitted Navigation system which incorporates the Radio, CD, Blue tooth, Reverse Camera display and Media.

However I am faced with two questions, which even the dealer has not been able to resolve. I have written to Hyundai via "My Hyundai" and also to Navteq Maps, but no reply has been received from either.

My wife has the I30 GD Active which has the Blue tooth but no Navigation. She uses the same model smartphone as me, and her car downloaded the contact list without a problem.

Hopefully some of our members may have been faced with the same question/s and have found the way to resolve them. If so please l;et me know.

a) I use a Samsung Galaxy 3 smartphone which has my contact list saved. I have been able to get the phone paired to the Incar unit, but the contact list/address book from the phone, somehow does not download onto the car unit. I also find that out of the 4 touch buttons that appear on the screen it is only the extreme left button marked phone that lights up. The other 3 touch buttons remain ghosted and inactive.

Accordingly the the speed dial function also remains inactive without the contact list, being made active.

Is there a way around this problem ?

b)When I took delivery of the car, I was handed a plastic box (Similar to a DVD Case), which was marked Hyundai Navigation System I30 Mapcare Plan - Navteq Maps. Inside this case is a USB with a Hyundai Logo. Surprise surprise, there were no instructions with this kit, nor is there anything stated in the vast volumes of manuals that came with the car. I therefore went back to the dealer, who was as much in the dark as I am.

Has this USB to be downloaded into the system and if so how and when should I do so ? Does anyone know, as Hyundai does not seem to be able to assist. I have written to Hyundai, but no reply has been received.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to your replies
  • Hyundai ! 30 GD Elite Automatic

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Hello. I am in the same boat as you. I checked the usb stick and found it was empty. Not a thing on there at all. I went to the Navtec site (or whatever it is) and see there are newer maps and yet you cannot download them. I see the maps loaded are 18 months old and asked the dealer for the latest ones pointing this out and that there are newer ones on the Navtec website.

They say the newest ones are on the car and there are no newer ones available. I suspect this is a ploy to lock you in to annual maintenance.

On the other question, I faced the same issue and it gets down to how many numbers are on your phone bearing in mind a single contact may have multiple numbers. In my case, pruning the contacts solved the issue. I do not know what the max numbers are unfortunately.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
Thanks for your prompt response.

I have not checked my USB fearing that something may go wrong as I did not have any info for it.

My dealer also states that the latest map info is loaded onto the system but confirms that they have no clue as to what the USB is due to do. This means that the download of the map update will have to wait for 12 mths. Anyway we have no choice, if the warranty is to be kept live, but to service the car for 5 yrs at Hyundai. There is capped price servicing for 3 years at $219/- per service.

I have written to Hyundai as well Navteq, but no reply has been received todate.

As for the contacts list I have 534 but they are all single numbers on the phone.  Has your system been ghosted too on the touch screen, where only the touch button marked phone is lit up ?

I really think they need to get their act together.

Whilst saying that wife's car which is the I30 Active GD, without the Sat Nav, down loaded her contact list without even trying ! onto the touch screen Blue Tooth, Media and Radio display panel. That is detailed in the owners manual, but the Sat Nav comes in a seperate booklet that does not help out with my problem...............

Do let me know if you find any solutions.

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
Two weeks on and both Hyundai Australia and Navteq, have been unable to reply to my questions, eventhough a reply was assured within 2 business days.

May be they do not care, as the car is sold or they have no clue. Eitherway, I am still in the dark.

A sad case of a breakdown in the PR systems of both organisations.

It is sad as they are both Australian organisations, dealing with owners in Australia. I wonder what they would do if Hyundai Korea knew how useless their Australian organisation was, when it came to customer support ! Or should I say the total lack of it...

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It could be the number of contacts you have - I have a vague recollection of seeing a figure of 250 max somewhere.

Alternatively - back up your phone contacts onto a computer and then delete 50 at a time off the phone and see whether the phonebook will upload each time. 
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It could be the number of contacts you have - I have a vague recollection of seeing a figure of 250 max somewhere.

Idea.

Do you have another phone or borrow one with low number of contacts and see if they will load.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
Thanks I will try out both suggestions and keep you posted how it panned out.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day mate,

Firstly to clear a misconception that you have, there is no need to service your vehicle with Hyundai to keep the warranty, nor is there a compulsion to use Hyundai parts. So long as it is serviced by a qualified mechanic who follows the service schedule your fine, same with parts, so long as they meet the requirements set by Hyundai again your fine (so long as there isn't a failure with a non Hyundai part, in which case the fault lies with those who made it).

Onto the phone trouble. I suspect 534 is too many for the car. You say that your wife's phone loads on her car ok, does it load on yours? or yours on hers? If it is the case that her phone list loads on your car, then you need to have a cull.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I think the problem is you have to service with Hyundai to get the map updates if I'm not mistaken.

Indra, I'd be taking the phone & the car into the dealership and saying, "Here, show me how to do it."
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
Hi Dave and all,

that was the first thing I did. Took the car and the USB + Manuals and asked the dealership how it works. That was within 24 Hrs of getting the car. Hyundai Australia had not briefed them on that at all. To give the devil its due, they tried for almost  One hour and failed to make any headway. Infact they even suggested that I write to Hyundai Australia.

Yes, of course !!  I have written 3 times to them on their own web page via My Hyundai. May be the systems at Hyundai Australia have been down from the begining of  February in Australia, as they have not replied. Or may be they themselves have no clue, as such my queries are sitting in that proverbial shoe box, until someone above gives them the answer. Or most probably they really do not care.

I am strongly considering writing to Hyundai in Korea and asking them for a contact at Hyundai possibly in the UK or another English speaking country where they may be more interested. 

Hyundai Australia appears to be rather uninterested after the cars are sold. Very short sighted and unacceptable.

Shall keep you posted if I make any headway. I dread to think of what I would face, if there is a mechanical or any related problems with the car, which entails the Warranty .

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
I will also try loading my phone on the other I30 as well as downloading my wife's phone on my I30. If one of those methods work, then I can do a cull on the number of contacts, as suggested. Thanks.....

As for the USB given by Hyundai for the I30 and the updating of my maps, I am rather at a dead end, as Hyundai Australia and the dealership have not been helpful, as well as not knowledgeable enough to guide me.

Offline Lachlan85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi guys,

Is there any news about how to update the software of the head unit on the i30? Or at least how to know if one has the most up to date version of the software?

Cheers in advance!   :goodjob2:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 Premium GD

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
Hi All,
I have some information regarding Map update up loads to the GPS head unit in the I30 Elite amd Premium.

As suggested by Dave, I visited the dealer once again today and spoke to a service consultant with particular emphasis on the USB that came in Plastic case marked Hyundai Navteq Maps for I30.

I hope what he said was accurate, as that has been the only information anyone has been able to pass onto me. That includes Navteq and Hyundai Australia, who prefer to avoid replying to my oft repeated query on this subject.

He said that when the car comes for it's first service to ensure that the USB is left in the car, as they will check the maps already installed in the car, and if there are newer and more updated maps available, they would download them onto the USB and upload it into the GPS system. I presume what he stated was logically correct, but will it happen. I prefer to be optimistic.

My car goes in for it's One month Free service during the first week of March. I will report back to the forum as to what transpires on this issue, during that service.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

He said that when the car comes for it's first service to ensure that the USB is left in the car, as they will check the maps already installed in the car, and if there are newer and more updated maps available, they would download them onto the USB and upload it into the GPS system. I presume what he stated was logically correct, but will it happen. I prefer to be optimistic.

My car goes in for it's One month Free service during the first week of March. I will report back to the forum as to what transpires on this issue, during that service.

Hopefully any updates are free (with the free service)  :whistler: :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
I understand that the Sat Nav updates are free for the first 3 years. But as always, seeing is believing as Hyundai Australia as well as Navteq appear to be on Long Service Leave, and they have not been possibly around to reply my on line queries. Of course their computer system are working and I had the traditional online replies promising a reply within two working days, which was over two working weeks back !! Thanks to modern technology, we now know that both organisations are on a long holiday but their computers are working. May be something working is better than nothing working................ :rolleyes:

I will keep you posted as I progress on this matter once Hyundai Aus and Navteq, return to work sometime in 2013.

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
Hi All,

as promised here is my latest update.

First the good news. I took on board the suggestion given by many of you and culled the phone numbers on the contact list in my Samsung Glalxy S111 phone. I reduced it to around 50 contacts and their numbers by downloading the full contact list onto my PC, then culling it and then putting the shortened list back onto the phone.

It worked like magic and all the numbers and names went into the car head unit as soon as it was linked and paired onto the car. I was also able to set up the Speeddial numbers without any problem.

Thanks everyone who suggested reducing the number of contacts, that is the way to get your phone contact list (In this case the Android phone) onto the phonebook and Speed dial in your Hyundai I30.

The not so good news is that I am still trying to get an answer from Hyundai Australia and/or Navteq, regarding the USB given with the car and the updating of the Maps within the Sat Nav unit. I think Hyundai Australia prefers to wash their hands off, whilst Navteq sends a note back to the online query stating that they will reply within 2 working days. This is the third time I have had this reply, and nothing more after that, in over 2 working day weeks.

THIS WAS THE REPLY FROM NAVTEQ:

Thank you very much for your message.
We will get back to you within 2 working days.
PS: This is an automated response to indicate your email was received. Please do not reply to this message: it will not be read.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good about your contacts anyway  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
At least you're not on your "pat malone", I'm still waiting for a response to my online enquiry too..... :lol:

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
Hooray ! Navteq has finally and after I wrote the third online email, decided to reply.

The reply beats any I have received from anyone before,  regarding a product made or distributed by the concerned company.

..........."most amazing"  are the words that describes it all.

I will be writing to them giving them word by word, what is written on the USB case that came with the car and then look forward to hearing what they say at that point of time. May be all they could really say is that Hyundai is illegally copying the Navteq data and placing it in the I 30 Elite and Premium in Aus and NZ !!  That would be fun as they cannot now find that Hyundai is indeed using Navteq maps, after saying quite clearly that they (Navteq), do not supply the software for the Hyundai I30..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: NAVTEQ Customer Service Centre [mailto:apac.bc.eng@navteq.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 26 February 2013 11:11 AM
Subject: NAVTEQ Maps

Dear Mr Indra W,

Thank you for your interest in NAVTEQ and our products.

NAVTEQ is the database supplier for many different navigation systems on the market. However, at this moment we do not handle the distribution of products for your 2012 Hyundai I30 Elite navigation system in Australia.

To receive information regarding products for your navigation system, we recommend you to contact your dealer directly.

Should you require additional information, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

When responding, please refer to this email and include the tracking ID located on top of this page.

Kind regards,

NAVTEQ Map Customer Service
Nokia Location & Commerce
My SingPost Box 880155 Singapore 919191
Local Toll Free Number Australia: 1800 085 406
Local Toll Free Number New Zealand: 0800 027 812

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well, if that don't beat all.  :exclaim:

Sounds like a job for new member, Maximum :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Am I reading it wrong?

To me they are just saying that they don't handle the distribution of software to Hyundai's customers, thats up to Hyundai to do... :undecided:

In other words, if you want update's don't ask them, ask your dealer.....

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
No doubt some of you have come to your own conclusions, as to how the negative reply from Navteq should be understood or actioned.

However, I did write to Navteq a  short while back and gave them enough info to make them check internally before writing a disclaimer again.

Their answer came rapidly this time. Please read below, as it may be useful for other club members who are in a similar situation as I am in.

Do keep a copy of the reply that I received from Navteq, specially if you require your Hyundai dealer to update your Sat Nav system , under I care. The next update from Navteq is due soon.

See below:-

Sent: Tuesday, 26 February 2013 1:59 PM
Subject: RE: NAVTEQ Maps <<#1216447-3392709#>>

Dear Mr Indra. W,

Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ Maps.

You vehicle came with the most up to date map available in the market. The map update process will be performed by your dealer who will be contacting you to make an appointment. A technical bulletin explaining the map update process will be sent out to the dealers shortly. A map update is due out in late April.

Should you require additional information, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.When responding, please refer to this email and include the tracking ID located on top of this page.

Kind regards,

NAVTEQ Maps Customer Service

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Not a concern for my FD but clearly a great post for other GD owners. Thanks Indra!  :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
You are welcome Gonz   :goodjob2:

I am glad my efforts would be helpful and is appreciated............

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
Navteq maps starting from not replying at the start, is now sending a constant stream of replies.

The attached reply came this morning (The third since yesterday).

I am attaching it as it may interest I30 owners in Aus and NZ.

Sent: Wednesday, 27 February 2013 9:06 AM
Subject: RE: NAVTEQ Maps

Dear Mr Indra W,

Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ Maps.

NAVTEQ releases a new version of the map database every quarter.
To produce an update, Car Manufacturers start from the NAVTEQ map and follow several steps:
- Map preparation: where NAVTEQ data can be combined with other sources
- Compilation: where NAVTEQ data is turned into a format that can be read by your navigation system
- Testing: to ensure that the complied map works in the navigation system

The duration and constraints on compilation and testing are far greater in the automotive industry than in consumer electronics  (PND, phones) because:
- Every year, the size of the map database increases significantly (new streets, new details, etc.) and the     map update needs to be contained within a fixed file size
- The product needs to be right from the first time. Unlike phones or computers, bugs cannot be fixed with a simple download, a remote bug fix or even a reboot
- Updates need to run on navigation systems that have sometimes been designed and launched many years ago, possibly on several navigation systems and need to keep on working for several years. In comparison, PND / phones have an average life cycle of 1.5 year

Should you require additional information, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

NAVTEQ Maps Customer Service

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I think their reasoning for having it tough in the motor industry is fading. Increasingly, we expect that a properly configured boot USB from a web downloaded executable should be able to perform updates  as for any other device, although memory upgrades aren't necessarily as simple. Then again our tablets are now taking on more memory via such things as external SD.

Then again ... again, this opinion is offered by someone who doesn't even own a mobile phone.   :happydance:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
I think their reasoning for having it tough in the motor industry is fading. Increasingly, we expect that a properly configured boot USB from a web downloaded executable should be able to perform updates  as for any other device, although memory upgrades aren't necessarily as simple. Then again our tablets are now taking on more memory via such things as external SD.

Then again ... again, this opinion is offered by someone who doesn't even own a mobile phone.   :happydance:

:whsaid:

In essence these in dash GPS/radio/reverse camera units are nothing more complicated than a very compact built computer running either ARM/x86/Motorola/Other processors with additional hardware integrated such as AM/FM radio, GPS, and Bluetooth. They are quite likely to run Windows CE, or whatever it's called now, and can be programmed for just as easily as any other computer out there on the market today. About the only hurdle you have with these things is developing the program using the appropriate instruction set/programming language, and then compiling it appropriately.

As Gonz has said, people expect things to just work, and for the device to be updatable with new features & fixes. Personally I'd love to have the talent to re-write the entire entertainment system in the i30, as it is pretty woeful, but I don't have the time, knowledge, and equipment required (something along the lines of EE/PROM/ROM readers, a spare head unit, complete radio assembly including GPS antenna, reverse engineering software, and a very comprehensive knowledge of hex editing, and the appropriate programming language).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:09:25 by plasticphyte »
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal