• Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline RSS

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Gauteng
First of all, apologies for digging up an old post.

Took delivery of my i30 1.8 Executive 2013 last week and was surprised to discover  ...  no RDS   :Shocked:

Search on the net a bit and found some tips about "hidden menus etc."

I could only get this far using button 1 and 6.

See attached picture below.

Has anyone in South Africa been able to "crack" it ?.    Somewhere I saw on other forums that it is possible for the HU on i20
  • i30 1.8 Executive 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's interesting! AUS (assume that means you get the Australian version of the Firmware??)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline RSS

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Gauteng
That's interesting! AUS (assume that means you get the Australian version of the Firmware??)

I presume so .. yes.

But there is no RDS printed on the faceplate of the radio [I think just above the CD slot]

Greetings
  • i30 1.8 Executive 2013

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
I had to get used to it, set all my different frequencies for the same radio station ie OFM from 1-4. I live in Bloemfontein, so for example if i drive to Bethlehem I go through 4 different frequencies, (1.) Bloem is 96.2, (2.) Ladybrand is 95.3, (3.) Ficksburg is 96.9 and then finally (4.)Bethlehem is (95.1 . . . . .  Have them all neatly sorted out on the radio, so when I drive back I just work them from 4 back to 1. 5FM is on number 5 on the radio station selection pad. Its frustrating I know :evil: R16 000 buys you a state of the art Navigation radio which (drumroll) magically has RDS but they dont have stock of it in South Africa and you would have to import it from Czeck Republic where our i30s are built.

I am strongly considering selling my car and getting a new A-CLASS ! German cars are more sophisticated then Koreans anyway !
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I am strongly considering selling my car and getting a new A-CLASS ! German cars are more sophisticated then Koreans anyway !

and way more expensive  :fum:

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Way more expensive yes almost $40 000 but the A250 Sport is also WAY more enginered and hey its a Mercedes and the A-Class is one hell of a good looking car, the $70 000 A45 has a 2 litre 265 KW engine and even beats the C63 AMG so yeah, thats a car to have, Hyundai, uhmmm no I dont think so anymore, mine is giving me mountains of problems and headaches ! Hmmmmmm now the question is ! Red, black or white ? A250 SPORT or A45 AMG ?

• i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think you should get a horse or a pushbike.. you seem to get a lot of problems with your cars that other people don't get  :winker: :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I was thinking something more like this:  :D :whistler:

Quality German engineering....

Offline RSS

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Gauteng
Way more expensive yes almost $40 000 but the A250 Sport is also WAY more enginered and hey its a Mercedes and the A-Class is one hell of a good looking car, the $70 000 A45 has a 2 litre 265 KW engine and even beats the C63 AMG so yeah, thats a car to have, Hyundai, uhmmm no I dont think so anymore, mine is giving me mountains of problems and headaches ! Hmmmmmm now the question is ! Red, black or white ? A250 SPORT or A45 AMG ?

Where does the  current Chief designer for Hyundai comes from ?.    :neutral:

I am happy with my i30 1.8 Exec and now 2 weeks old .. time will tell .. but I think I will not be disappointed.

Taking her end July for a trip to Cape Town .. 1500 km .. so looking forward to it ..  :)
  • i30 1.8 Executive 2013

Offline RSS

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Gauteng
I was thinking something more like this:  :D :whistler:

Quality German engineering....

Oh my word !! .. good one !!
  • i30 1.8 Executive 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Where does the  current Chief designer for Hyundai comes from ?.    :neutral:

Good Question .. Yes he is German and Hyundai has a design studio in Germany...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schreyer

I am happy with my i30 1.8 Exec and now 2 weeks old .. time will tell .. but I think I will not be disappointed.

Taking her end July for a trip to Cape Town .. 1500 km .. so looking forward to it ..  :)

Excellent, I'm sure you will have a great trip (drive safely) I believe Cape Town is very picturesque and well worth a visit  :mrgreen:

Offline RSS

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Gauteng
The question was tongue in cheek aimed at i30RSA [my fellow countrymen] .. because it sounds like he is leaning towards a certain German make car .. :whistler:

Thanks for the wishes .. I am a born and bred and lived in a town not far from Cape Town and know the surrounds very well. Any excuse to go down there and I am on my way - normally by air, but this time by i30  :)

Sorry guys .. going wayyyyyyyyyy off topic here.

Have a great weekend !!

PS: How can I change this "1x30 1.8 Exec 2013" in my signature ? Donno how it happened .. looks like a typo when i registered
  • i30 1.8 Executive 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
PS: How can I change this "1x30 1.8 Exec 2013" in my signature ?

Profile > Modify Profile > Look and Layout
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Hmmmmmm now the question is ! Red, black or white ? A250 SPORT or A45 AMG ?

Just get 1 of each.  :head_butt:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline W Rauch

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town
Hyundai i30 Radio / Sound system

Hyundai 2013 I30 1600 Automatic non RDS Radio
Why does a car like the i30 not have a radio with RDS?
The i10 and i20 have it.  Are Hyundai trying to save money?
“How can a car qualify as 2013 Car of the year Nominee
 and 2013 Car of the year of Australia

if the radio supplied does not have the function to indicate to you what station you are listening to and choose the best possible reception frequency for that selected station or RDS?” I was wondering after acquiring the Hyundai I30.
This was before I researched the specifications of the 2013 Hyundai I30, International 2013 Car of the year Finalist and Australian 2013 Car of the Year Winner.
I found to my astonishment that the only difference between the two models mentioned above and the I30 sold in South Africa, except for maybe being right hand drive, is the radio, which lacks RDS and is a much inferior model compared to the one fitted in the International Finalist and the Australian Winner of the 2013 Car of the year, which is a touch screen AST radio.
I find the advertising in RSA unethical because Hyundai SA deceives the prospective buyer to believe that he or she is buying the car similar to the one that won the previously mentioned Car of the Year distinctions, when in fact it is not the same.
The advertising line should read: “Hyundai, Best car in its class, except for the radio, which is inferior to the 2013 International Car of the year Finalist and 2013 Australian Car of the year Winner, as falsely advertised.”
Except for the above, I find all other features advertised to be correct and have no criticism.  In fact I only have praise.
You might wonder why I make such an issue about the radio not having AST.
1.   In a hilly city like Cape town, where you have to change frequency 4 times if you travel from Hout Bay to Muzenberg via Cape Town and wish to listen to the same programme.  You then have to manually retune the radio while driving.  This is unsafe.  Maybe legislation should be passed that if you do not have a radio with RDS, you may not use it while driving. Like using a cell phone, which is the same kind of distraction.
2.   In this modern Information technological age it is expected that you can at lease see what station you are tuned to and what song or DJ or news reader is broadcasting.  Plus all the innovative features of RDS.
I also notice that owners are answering each other on questions, but Hyundai “Shines in their absence” when an answer is asked from them.
How can we get a response out of Hyundai RSA or Europe or Asia, like on any other forum?
Wessel Rauch
New Hyundai Fan
  • I30 1.6L Auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's a lengthy 1 st post and well thought out.

This forum does not have any affiliation with any Hyundai businesses of any description worldwide, which is why we can be critical or supportive of the i30, but rest assured, there are dealerships that look at what is being said.

With regard to the radio, what did you do before RDS was invented. Did you specifically ask about the radio before purchasing and I'm sure that it was not stated as included in your pre-purchase brochure. I do not have this feature in my car and don't miss it at all.

Getting a satisfactory response from and Hyundai Head Office for a one off complaint is always difficult. The best solution is to address your communication to the highest level possible and hope a response is forthcoming, although I your case I'm not sure what you're expecting.

Good luck.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Wessel

Welcome to our humble club/forum. I agree with Phil, except that your post indicates that RDS appears to be more necessary and a common feature South Africa (where it is not here in Australia)

You certainly explained your gripe more tactfully and succinctly than your Doctor Countryman did  :goodjob:

It certainly appears that Hyundai made an error of judgement excluding this feature in your country. Hopefully, you can find an affordable upgrade option, as they are extremely unlikely to change it retrospectively!

Your comment about Hyundai advertising is a bit thin though, as (for example) the i30 in Europe gets DRLs but not in Australia (but they don't say in the advertising anything about no DRLs or other features that we miss out on down here, and there are a few!)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum Wessel.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline W Rauch

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town
Thanks Phil No 1 and Dazzler for your prompt replies.
Yes, different from Australia in hilly territory around Cape Town and the Western Cape, RDS is definately an option and I recomend Compulsery. As I said, In the first 20 years of Mobile phones, you could phone and text while driving, without a hands free kit, but now it is illelal.  In fact if caught your phone is confiscated for 24 hours and in Cape Town you have to pay a release fee of R2000 to get your phone handed back to you.  Therefore I come to the conclusion that for precicely for that reason, using a car radio without RDS in hilly surrounds, where the frequency of the station tuned to changes as much as every 4 - 10 minutes in high traffic areas should be prohibited.  Therefore selling a car with a radio without RDS will also be prohibited.

I again ask, "Why does the I10 and I20 come standard in RSA with a radio which has RDS?"

What did I do before RDS? Before RDS which has been around in RSA since 1995, there were much less trafic and I will not go as far as to say, more competent and carefull drivers. (less taxies).

Dazzler, excuse the punn,what did you do before the Internal Combustion Engine?

The reason I mentioned the decieving advertising is that when the dealership wanted me to buy the I30, I was told that this model was a finalist in the 2013 car of the year.  I also read this on the internet.  I tried to attach the links to the websites, but the blog would not except them.  I shal try again, maybe in text format.  The I30's that I recearched on the Internet sold in Europe had the Touch screen radio with GPS and RDS as standard equipment.

I hope that someone of Hyundai reads this blog.
  • I30 1.6L Auto

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Interesting comment re the confiscation of mobile phones if caught texting.
I have previously advocated for this change here too.
Confiscate the phone if someone is caught talking or texting.
That'd stop it.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You raise a good point WR, The i10 & 20 are not the main focus of Hyundai sales, you would expect RDS in the i30 under those circumstances.  :Dunno:

Offline W Rauch

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town
My apologies to Dazzler, you did not ask what I did before RDS, it was Phil No 1.

To db08, thanks for your input to my comments on existing legislation on the use of Mobile phones in RSA.  dbo8, see my added info on handeling the legislation and adding a release fee of R2000 in Cape town.  This was instituted only recently from 1 August 2013.

On the following Quote from Phil No 1 "Getting a satisfactory response from and Hyundai Head Office for a one off complaint is always difficult. The best solution is to address your communication to the highest level possible and hope a response is forthcoming, although I your case I'm not sure what you're expecting."

I disagree.  See higher up in this thread and see how many people, especially South Africans, complain obout the I30 that does not have RDS.

Also because of previous comments from Phli, I assumed that the I30 will come standard with a RDS radio, because the Tucson which my Daughter owns and the 2 I10's my son in law owns have RDS radios as standard.  Why should I not assume this with my experience of other lass up market Hyundai's.  To my dismay I only descovered this on taking delivery of the vehicle.  More astounding is that the salesman and the Workshop Manager on encuiry as to how to set the RDS of the radio, commented after trying to assist, that he did not know that the 2013 I30 did not have a RDS radio and also did not expect it not to have.
  • I30 1.6L Auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I disagree.  See higher up in this thread and see how many people, especially South Africans, complain about the I30 that does not have RDS.

Yes, but unless you intend to collectively complain, or petition HY SA, your communication will be addressed as a single owner complaint. Don't get me wrong, you have just cause to complain, based on other model equipment levels.

Offline RSS

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Gauteng
Very well put Wessel and agree fully with what you said. I am a fellow South African and also disappointed about the non-RDS.

"You have an eloquent writing style .. how about writing to Hyundai SA ?"

Something I have been thinking about , whilst looking for a solution , is - would there be a physical difference then between the radio in the i30 and the i20 ?.  Is it not just a simple firmware issue ?. If it is , then it would be simple to upgrade. Any thoughts ?

Was a passenger in a Toyota ..TIIDA I think .. the other day and that little car had RDS .. go figure.

Regards
  • i30 1.8 Executive 2013

Offline W Rauch

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town
Thanks for the agreement RSS.  I would very much like to write and complain to Hyundai RSA.  Do you have a contact e-mail or blog for them?

As for your comment on software upgrade, I dont think so.  The radio in the I10 and I20 are completely other radio models and in fact much inferior to the one in the I30, but they have RDS.

I think Hyundai made a mistake not to fit a RDS radio in the upmarket I30.
I feel so strongly about it, that i want to warn all prospective buyers of I30's to reconcider.  I just need a platform to do it.

However I have always believed to give a person or instetution or company a chance to redeem itself before I start making acusations.

Therefore I need three pieces of information.
  • How can I make contact with Hyundai South Africa and represent the RDS complaint on behalf of all the people who have complained, in order that it does not look like a once off complaint.
  • Oll owners of I30's whom are unsatisfied by not having a RDS radio in their I30's to e-mail me on wrauch@intekom.co.za to enable me to circulate a petition to give the complaint weight.
  • Someone or people recomend a platform to stand on to warn all prospective I30 owners that their new, modern, up matket car does not have a radio with RDS, if we do not get our complaint resolved to our satisfaction.
  • I30 1.6L Auto

Offline W Rauch

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town
NOW LETS COMPLAIN COLLECTIVELY as Phil No 1 recomends. :disapp:
  • I30 1.6L Auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Not sure how your consumer laws are constructed in your country, but a device that is deemed unfit for the purpose it was designed, has to be replaced. This is a difficult area for you because, clearly, the radio works, just not very well. To me it is a possible safety issue. If you have consumer protection over there, I'd be making enquiries as to your options.

I commend you on your push for a petition, the only suggestion I would make is a small flyer placed on any i30's you see,  (if it's legal in your country to do that), explaining the problem and asking the owner to email you if they wish to be involved. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way for you to get email addresses of all i30 owners in SA.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I suggest you set up a Facebook page. Call it "Hyundai RDS Radio Issue" or something.
Depemding on the sort of attention you get you might have to make it a closed group somewhere along the way but that sort of defeats the purpose.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal