i30 Owners Club

Possible LED DRL position for FD i30.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I did manage to install the Philips daylight 4 system. Unfortunately the Peugeot look didn't work as I could not get the DRLs to face directly forwards. They went of to the side at a slight angle and this greatly diminishes their brightness head on. Basically I went with option 2. Could have taken me 2 hours if I hadn't been such a bloody noob.

They are amazingly bright. That's why I look at the pictures of the Ebay GD DRLs that some people have fitted and feel they must not be performing up to factory specs. Anyway, I do like them. I don't care that they look non OEM. My aim was always for functionality and safety, not looks.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I may have missed this suggestion before as I can't see pictures from the computer I'm posting from but the most OEM looking place to locate the DRLs would probably be the small trim above the fogs but below the headlights.  :winker:
I,ve been thinking about fitting drl's on the under side of that trim.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Use the existing fog lamps.  Only requires a 5 pin changeover relay to replace the existing fog lamp relay.  Two piggyback fuse holders abnd some wire.

I replaced the bulbs with @blue' types giving a whiter light as the LEDs I tried were not bright enough.

DRLs come on with ignition and go off with lights on and comply with U.K. lighting regulations.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Use the existing fog lamps.  Only requires a 5 pin changeover relay to replace the existing fog lamp relay.  Two piggyback fuse holders abnd some wire.

I replaced the bulbs with @blue' types giving a whiter light as the LEDs I tried were not bright enough.

DRLs come on with ignition and go off with lights on and comply with U.K. lighting regulations.

Here in Australia, fog lamps are fog lamps regardless of the bulbs inside. There's a substantial fine and 3 licence demerit points for inappropriate use of fog lamps in clear weather.  Are the rules different in the UK?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Seems it's much the same in the UK as it is for us in OZ...  :undecided:

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

*Taken from the UK Highway Code

Offline KKOM

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Heraklion

Hi,
Can you give more details for DIY ?

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Seems it's much the same in the UK as it is for us in OZ...  :undecided:

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

*Taken from the UK Highway Code

The difference is that Australian regulations make the  improper use of fog lamps an offence whereas the U.K. would rely on "causing dazzle"  or possibly, but  most unlikely, "driving without due care".

As, by definition, DRLs are only on during daylight their use cannot cause dazzle and, as they turn off when the position/headlamps are turned on, they comply with U.K. legislation.  There are cars with OE DRLs using filament bulbs in the fog lamp location.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Now don't all Jump on me as this is only my opinion on two subjects brought up in this thread and I have said it before in other threads,I fully realise why PPL want these DRL's,but I am seeing them more and more on a lot of vehicles,both factory and after market units,for me personally,I think they just look like extremely cheap tack ones,I have seen it the past few days a brand new I 45,it has factory fitted DRL's LED's and the way they are shaped,to me makes them look like cheap stick ones.
Not sure about other countries,but if they are allowing the DRL's to be run here in Oz,why would you not just fit a set of fog lamps if not already fitted and use them as DRL's,still do the same job makes you highly visible and they are not as blinding as the factory DRL's.

Second subject bought up was car colour,the dreaded silver or charcoal cars,IMHO most dangerous coloured cars on the road(for at least one reason someone has already mentioned),personally if it were up to me I would ban manufacturers from producing these colours,but hey this is from bloke that believes it should be compulsory to drive with lights on 24/7,whether it be headlights,foglights and Parker's or DRL's
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Here in Australia, fog lamps are fog lamps regardless of the bulbs inside. There's a substantial fine and 3 licence demerit points for inappropriate use of fog lamps in clear weather.  Are the rules different in the UK?

what you say is true,I have been using fog lamps as DRL's for the past 16 years not once got pulled up or spoken to about it by any police in any state,even when I have been picked up for any other reason license checks, RBT's, if they allow DRL's now the fog lamp rules are  going to have to be either taken out or reveiwed,for ALL the manufacturer fitted and some of the after market DRL's I have seen on vehicles are almost to the point of being blinding even in daylight hours, to my way of thinking that is far more detrimental to other road users than a fog light.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
motorbikes run the headlight continuesly for visibility.  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Volvo started this with a puny filament bulb, which you couldn't see until it was too late. A good idea in northern Europe where the sun can be seasonally dim, but designers of modern cars have gone berserk with the concept and turned it into a fashion statement.

We have the PW individual led strips to the very bright, even in broad daylight, single row jobs (achieved by using reflectors), and of course the meandering shape of the Hy brand.

Surprisingly, all these pass the necessary legislative requirements.  :Dunno:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
some of the new cars with drl's in the headlight make it hard too see the indicator flashing in the day time.  :eek:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

But, the use of existing fog lights as DRL's will still not be legal as they don't have the all important "ECE R87 Approval Mark".

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
A good idea in northern Europe where the sun can be seasonally dim, but designers of modern cars have gone berserk with the concept and turned it into a fashion statement.

I agree, and in my opinion most people that retrofit them are not doing so for the added "visibility" but more for the "Look At Me, Look At Me" factor....  :undecided:  :rolleyes:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i think you'd need to get a real nasty cop, having a very bad day to pull you over and fine you.  :idea: :winker:  now a boy racer driving around at 2am with a heavily modified car,that would be a completely different story.  IMO  :Drive::gotcha::TutTut:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
A good idea in northern Europe where the sun can be seasonally dim, but designers of modern cars have gone berserk with the concept and turned it into a fashion statement.

I agree, and in my opinion most people that retrofit them are not doing so for the added "visibility" but more for the "Look At Me, Look At Me" factor....  :undecided:  :rolleyes:
  look at moy,look at moy.  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Was tempted to put that, Steve...but figured our overseas members would be saying, wtf!  :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Waiting for an overseas member  :deserted:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Waiting for an overseas member  :deserted:
did you buy it on eBay Phil?  :Shocked: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :whistler:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Was tempted to put that, Steve...but figured our overseas members would be saying, wtf!  :lol:
they get Kath and Kim in the UK,i think they do.  :undecided:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Overseas member calling. Moy means jack shit I'm afraid, as do Kath and Kim :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
video assistance needed,RUSTY.  :idea:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You're not encouraging me to go off topic are you, Steve?  :whistler:

Oh ok.....

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
what you say is true,I have been using fog lamps as DRL's for the past 16 years not once got pulled up or spoken to about it by any police in any state,even when I have been picked up for any other reason license checks, RBT's, if they allow DRL's now the fog lamp rules are  going to have to be either taken out or reveiwed,for ALL the manufacturer fitted and some of the after market DRL's I have seen on vehicles are almost to the point of being blinding even in daylight hours, to my way of thinking that is far more detrimental to other road users than a fog light.

Perhaps the police out West are a bit more lax in regards to enforcing this.

I think it's an illusion that DRLs are brighter than fog lights. A simple test is to compare at night with just the DRLs vs fogs or headlights. I wouldn't want to be driving just with DRLs at night. Too dim.

I think what you're seeing is that the DRLs catch your eye and you end up looking directly at it and they seem bright. In a way they've done their job.

Any light source may look very bright if you look directly at them.

The other issue is that DRLs are essentially an unfocused light source. They are designed to have a wide viewing angle. Fogs and headlights however both have significant reflectors to focus the light and have much more potential to blind or dazzle, fogs more so because they are not aimed down like low beam headlights are.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the vid.

Is it a drama of some kind? They're all fellas, aren't they....?

Apologies for the O/T  :-[
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It's supposed to be comedy, Steve.... :whistler:

Probably not the best vid to post but I thought you'd appreciate seeing Sharon in her undies...  :rofl:

And no, they are all female.....

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Even in the Wild West, use your fog lamps in good weather and you will probably cop a fine.
Happens all the time.
Rick, you have been lucky.
Fog lights can only be used in inclement weather.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I think we actually knock the people who drive Volvos....  :p  :whistler:

I used too,now I have changed it too Audi drivers,  :whistler:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
motorbikes run the headlight continuesly for visibility.  :undecided:
but this is not law,I still see far to many bikes without lights on their choice,maybe a complusory DRL for them would be a great idea,one that could not be bypassed, at manufvture,anyhow  :offtopic:,when I rode or if I borrow a bike these days,I still drive with lights on

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Geez Rick, don't you get me started on compulsory lights on!

It took us long enough to get the law repealed last time..... :mad:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal