i30 Owners Club

2012 i30 (GD) Shark Fin antenna

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
The poor am reception is most likely on account of the small antenna rather than the receiver itself. I'm guessing those with awesome am reception in older/other vehicles had telescopic whip antennas, not a feeble teeny tiny bee sting antenna like the ones fitted to the i30.

I have no experience with fractal arrays but this manufacturer claims theirs works.

http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_How_It_Works.html
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/r/l/rlh45/journals/APS%20MAG%20Oct%201999.pdf

Further reading on the website says this:

Though the stock antenna will usually still provide better reception, through testing, we found that the VG Shark Fin Antenna performed consistently better than any stubby antenna fitted on the same car.

Reading the testimonials is seems that its not as good as the bee sting antenna either so its not going to solve long range reception issues. But it does look pretty cool!! According to those that buy them, this is the primary reason for purchase.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:19:57 by keith_h »
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
My 2011 i30 has marginal AM reception out in rural areas. I think we discussed this some time back. I'd like to know if any local suppliers (Auto Barn, Super Cheap, etc.) sell antennas that can boost a radio's reception.

(and the above link to an antenna website is "under development").

• 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I fitted this aerial some time back and believe it is marginally better than the original... :undecided:
Can't really comment as to it's performance with AM though as I rarely listen to it.

I got it from HERE

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It's an ongoing issue for me.
Every time I drive down to Mandurah or Pinjarra I lose reception on AM.
I wish there was an easy fix.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.

QED...stay at home, Dave. :D
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

QED...stay at home, Dave. :D

:TutTut:   :foottap:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I have sent an email requesting help on this matter, I'll keep everyone informed.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Listen to FM like normal PPL  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Listen to FM like normal PPL  :rofl:

Normal?  :undecided:  :rofl: :rofl:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Listen to FM like normal PPL

FM? OK. This is what I have available:
ABC - boring as bat shit. OK for farmers who want to know the latest in worming for cows, or what the Carrajung Ladies Auxillary is doing for its upcoming lamington drive, perhaps.
3TR FM - Doof Doof music. OK if you're tone deaf and under 30, I s'pose. The announcers are kids who prattle on about inane and banal rubbish.

And on local AM:

1242 Gold - it used to be called 3TR. It's now focused on playing shit from the 70s. I grew up in the 60s and 70s. We all used to do what we could to drag in Melbourne's 3XY the only decent rock station. 3TR played shit music back then. And today, replaying the same crap doesn't make it any better.

ABC AM. Transmitter is about 70km from here. Just the same as what's on ABC FM. When Black Saturday took out the local ABC TX, we had to rely on the poor reception of the remaining AM station. None of the commercial broadcasters were covering the bushfires. So, for us it was difficult to get updates, orders to evac, etc.

So, with my iPhone 4S and an app called "Tune In Radio Pro", as long as I have internet coverage, which isn't too bad here on Telstra, I can listen to whatever I want. But, being able to just jump in and have the thing tuned into say 3AW, a Melbourne talk station or 3LO/774 ABC, Melbourne's main ABC radio station, would be nicer and more convenient.

As for music it's either a station in Connecticut, US called PLR or 3 MMM in Melbourne.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
But, being able to just jump in and have the thing tuned into say 3AW, a Melbourne talk station<

But that's shit too......  :p :whistler:

Martin, I'm heading over to the Valley today so if I remember, I'll see how AM is on my different aerial.....

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
Wow, completely forgot I had posted this.

I ended up purchasing a glossy black version of the Visual Garage antenna (the V2 specifically).

Installing it was dead simple, it came with washers and adapter nuts to fit the threaded assembly. I had to purchase some isopropyl wipes to use after giving the area where the sticky bits ended up going. It was just a touch awkward to get the cable screwed in, but managed fine.
It also helps to use some painters masking tape to get your alignment right and practice a dry run first, as the adhesive is very strong and pretty much bonds on contact.

The unit sits well back on my Premium to allow the sunroof to slide back, and the cable has just enough stretch to fit nicely.

The reception is as good as the factory antenna, however that is Asian dependent on the transmission strength, so results will vary.
The only channels I've noticed a little bit more static hiss on when driving around, is the ABC & 4BC AM stations. The FM stations I rarely listen to sound fine.

Ultimately this was more a cosmetic change for me, as I mostly listen to music from my iPod or other non radio based source.

It also looks quite cool. I have been parked next to GD i30's and always have a smile when I see my roofline with the shark fin.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

But that's shit too......  :p :whistler:
Horses for courses, I s'pose...

Martin, I'm heading over to the Valley today so if I remember, I'll see how AM is on my different aerial.....
It'll be interesting to hear how it goes. Have a good day. We'll be in Melbourne, ourselves...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Cheers martin....
Unfortunately there was a change in plans so I didn't end up going to the Valley in my car so testing will have to wait until maybe next week...  :undecided:  :head_butt:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
In a prior post I said "The reception on my i30 radio both AM and FM is poor when compared to the performance of the radio I had in my old Toyo Cruiser. Would a change of the "supplied device for radio input" (or screw mounted useless rubber ducky) improve reception? Or is the radio just a simple city receiver?

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=20622.0;topicseen

Well the Hy Dealer checked the "Rubber Ducky" found it OK, checked the radio then sought a new radio from Hy. This is now fitted and the performance is muuuuuuuch better. So I am happy with the Dealer and HY  :happydance: :happydance:
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
There have been enough complaints about poor reception for me to believe the unit needs a serious upgrade, to a new manufacturer IMO.

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
Wow, completely forgot I had posted this.

I ended up purchasing a glossy black version of the Visual Garage antenna (the V2 specifically).

Installing it was dead simple, it came with washers and adapter nuts to fit the threaded assembly. I had to purchase some isopropyl wipes to use after giving the area where the sticky bits ended up going. It was just a touch awkward to get the cable screwed in, but managed fine.
It also helps to use some painters masking tape to get your alignment right and practice a dry run first, as the adhesive is very strong and pretty much bonds on contact.

The unit sits well back on my Premium to allow the sunroof to slide back, and the cable has just enough stretch to fit nicely.

The reception is as good as the factory antenna, however that is Asian dependent on the transmission strength, so results will vary.
The only channels I've noticed a little bit more static hiss on when driving around, is the ABC & 4BC AM stations. The FM stations I rarely listen to sound fine.

Ultimately this was more a cosmetic change for me, as I mostly listen to music from my iPod or other non radio based source.

It also looks quite cool. I have been parked next to GD i30's and always have a smile when I see my roofline with the shark fin.

would love to see some pics of the shark fin on your car as i've been toying with the idea but over here in the UK, since BMW came out with the shark fin antenna, every boy racer fitted one on and made the image of having one tacky
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
would love to see some pics of the shark fin on your car as i've been toying with the idea but over here in the UK, since BMW came out with the shark fin antenna, every boy racer fitted one on and made the image of having one tacky

Of course, that doesn't apply in Oz, to hybrid Toyota's, does it.  :whistler:

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!

would love to see some pics of the shark fin on your car as i've been toying with the idea ...

I will try to remember to get some pics of it to post. Got a bit of outdoor stuff to do tomorrow, so perfect timing.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Cheers martin....
Unfortunately there was a change in plans so I didn't end up going to the Valley in my car so testing will have to wait until maybe next week...  :undecided:  :head_butt:

Got to try the aerial and AM radio out and found it picked up 3AW OK in Traralgon...  :goodjob:
Sound quality was pretty crap though after listening to FM all the time.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Unfortunately, AM radio reception varies with sun position and other weather anomalies, so 1 good reading won't prove any more than it "worked, on the day". :undecided:

Would have needed to swap the aerials over on the spot, to detect any signal variation.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

:rofl:

Exhibit (a)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :mrgreen: :goodjob2:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Unfortunately, AM radio reception varies with sun position and other weather anomalies, so 1 good reading won't prove any more than it "worked, on the day". :undecided:

Would have needed to swap the aerials over on the spot, to detect any signal variation.

Yep... :goodjob:

Was just finding out if you could actually get 3AW at all...

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West

lol... I suppose not many boy racers ride around in hybrid Toyota's besides the one here  :lol:
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :lol: :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal