i30 Owners Club

HID upgrade

CraigB · 69 · 15361

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Installed the HID's earlier today and just finished setting the levels, the photos aren't the greatest on the phone at night but I'm very pleased with them and the installation was fairly easy.

All nice and neat :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very impressive Craig!  :mrgreen:

I put those H7 "Xenon" globes in Trish's tourer as it was going to be a huge job to do the low beams in my Calais. She is happy with the change.  :faint: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

I put those H7 "Xenon" globes in Trish's tourer as it was going to be a huge job to do the low beams in my Calais. She is happy with the change.  :faint: :goodjob:
Thanks Dazz :)

Since the HID's have now replaced those H7 Xenon low beams my father has decided he'll be the new owner of them bulbs :) I've still got another pair of them sitting around here which I'll sell to one of the friends or family.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dazz :)

Since the HID's have now replaced those H7 Xenon low beams my father has decided he'll be the new owner of them bulbs :) I've still got another pair of them sitting around here which I'll sell to one of the friends or family.
I'd buy them if I didn't have to dismantle half the engine bay to get at them.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'd buy them if I didn't have to dismantle half the engine bay to get at them.
They weren't difficult to replace in my VT Clubby or VY SS ute from memory, what the hell did Holden do to your model :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Access is VERY tight... The inboard lights are much easier. I might post photos later.  :undecided:

Offline BozoBill1

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I have a 2008 and looked at converting the high beams to HID but the engine bay is so crowded that I didn't proceed.
Any clues on where and how to mount the ballasts would be welcome. With photos if possible.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I have a 2008 and looked at converting the high beams to HID but the engine bay is so crowded that I didn't proceed.
Any clues on where and how to mount the ballasts would be welcome. With photos if possible.
There are some hints in the pictures I supplied but for GD.

mrexcitement has done the upgrade on an FD so he might have some advice for you.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 13:24:40 by CraigB »

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Once you remove your headlights , there is a large chassis rail underneath. I just used double sided tape to stick my ballasts to the top side of this chassis rail and a cable tie around the whole assembly , bundled the excess wiring and starter box beside it with another cable tie. When you put the headlight back in it hides most of it and looks neat.  :D
  • 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Last night as I was heading home on the scoot, I ended up with some clown behind me with what I reckon were low beam HID's fitted.
Talk about bright! Every time I checked where he was in my mirrors I ended up half blinded... :mad:

The sooner cops crack down on these inconsiderate so & so's the better!  :spitty:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
All they have to do is adjust them correctly as they're no brighter than the vehicles that are factory released with them.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Problem is, they don't and in not doing so cause serious driving conditions for other road users. :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
For all you know the car Rusty is referring to might have factory HID's anyway, what make's it worse is many people act like a deer in the spotlight and stare straight at it :rolleyes: ( which only makes it worse ) rather than doing the smart thing which is to look to the lower left away from the lights.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Funny this thread popped up on my feed now.

Some might recall I had el cheapo HID's installed into Hippo shortly after I got her. I had an issue where my right side light would not always ignite properly and after changing ballasts and globes and struggling with it resetting my radio every once in a while I decided to remove it and reinstalled my plain old halogen H7's.

The light output from the 55W globes are on par with the 35W HID's, but they were causing me hassles so they will be donated to my friend who wants to go the HID route in his Lancer.

That said, your install looks great, Craig...well done. I surely will miss mine but not the headaches it gave me. Now I need to replace my LED parking bulbs as they look really out of place amongst all the other quartz halogen bulbs

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

• 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'd have to agree that the HID's aren't really that much brighter than the Philips white vision bulbs I was using but the colour difference is huge and definitely provides a much clearer daylight look.

Philips 55w white vision bulbs are 1500lm

Philips 35w HID bulbs are 1600lm...the 35w DS1 and DS2 type factory HID's are 3200lm

The standard Osram bulbs that were factory installed are also 1500lm according to their website, so it's the colour temperature that makes the real difference

« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 18:36:23 by CraigB »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'm sure Rusty's been called many things, but a Deer has to be a first, surely.  :lol:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
There's always a first time for everything :D

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Last night as I was heading home on the scoot, I ended up with some clown behind me with what I reckon were low beam HID's fitted.
Talk about bright! Every time I checked where he was in my mirrors I ended up half blinded... :mad:

The sooner cops crack down on these inconsiderate so & so's the better!  :spitty:

I used to feel that way about motorbikes lane splitting.

FYI such technical breaches would usually be handled by transport, but don't hold your breath they arn't rushing to catch those motorbikes that modify their exausts so as to hurt the ears of those who dare to walk on the footpath.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
A colleague of mine is importing some H7 LED lights and I might take a few and see if they are an improvement over the HID's I had installed.

Part of the problem I had was that I should have done it properly from the start and installed a relay instead of having it work through the car wiring loom.

The other issue is space as I wasn't too keen on cutting holes through my dust covers. I have since reverted to halogen and sealed up the holes I had to cut for the HID install where the ballasts were attached. The LED kits also need quite a bit of space for the drivers and heatsinks and certain brands don't like being installed into sealed enclosures such as those on the FD i30 (and I presume the GD i30 too) due to the amount of heat they generate.

From the looks of it you get HID kits and then you get "HID kits" and the quality differs so much between the different manufacturers. I haven't followed this thread from the start but my advice to anyone trying the HID route: If I can add my 2c, rather spend the $$$ and get proper kit than do it as cheap as possible and hope for the best like I did :D

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

• 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
From the looks of it you get HID kits and then you get "HID kits" and the quality differs so much between the different manufacturers. I haven't followed this thread from the start but my advice to anyone trying the HID route: If I can add my 2c, rather spend the $$$ and get proper kit than do it as cheap as possible and hope for the best like I did :D
That's why I bought the Philips HID's, they're the best :) I was lucky to get them for $220 as I've noticed lately they've been bumped up to $535 through some of the Aussie eBay suppliers :eek:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
For all you know the car Rusty is referring to might have factory HID's anyway, what make's it worse is many people act like a deer in the spotlight and stare straight at it :rolleyes: ( which only makes it worse ) rather than doing the smart thing which is to look to the lower left away from the lights.

If only it was that easy...
I was keeping an eye on my mirrors to see exactly where he was, it's pretty hard to look in a mirror without looking at the mirror...  :crazy1:

I used to feel that way about motorbikes lane splitting.

Good try, but motorcycle lane filtering has never been illegal, installing aftermarket low beam HID's without the self levelling and washers is...  :rolleyes:

Those that install them are basically thinking only of themselves and are pretty much giving oncoming drivers the finger.

Here's some info on HID's:
:link: Are HID Kits Legal or Safe? | XTREMEREVOLUTION.NET

:link: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

:link: Illegal HID conversion kits explained - Auto Express - YouTube

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Get over it Rusty, no one cares :rolleyes: wait till you get some extra bright LED's behind you! they're unregulated and can be much brighter than HID's

If only it was that easy...
I was keeping an eye on my mirrors to see exactly where he was, it's pretty hard to look in a mirror without looking at the mirror...  :crazy1:
Also as I mentioned the vehicle could have had legal factory installed HID's and you wouldn't know, or possibly they were LED's! do you know the difference when someone is driving behind you at night "I doubt it"

Interestingly enough your first link describes where headlight housings can be retrofitted with projectors to cure any beam displacement issues and being that the GD i30s have lowbeam projectors already in place then I see no issue with having them installed, my beam patterns cut of perfectly and I've even tested them with myself in another vehicle coming in the opposite direction towards my car and they are fine.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 15:47:30 by CraigB »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Get over it Rusty, no one cares :rolleyes: wait till you get some extra bright LED's behind you! they're unregulated and can be much brighter than HID's

The only people that don't care are the people that are illegally fitting them, Craig...  :head_butt:
As for LED's being unregulated, who told you that?
They are covered by ADR's too....check out this link and read what they say about LED headlights.

At the end of the day all headlights are also covered by this:

Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users

A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver's vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user.

Interestingly enough your first link describes where headlight housings can be retrofitted with projectors to cure any beam displacement issues and being that the GD i30s have lowbeam projectors already in place then I see no issue with having them installed, my beam patterns cut of perfectly and I've even tested them with myself in another vehicle coming in the opposite direction towards my car and they are fine.

All that is moot though, because however much you try to justify them, they are still illegal...  :victory:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Rusty, from the HID section of that page these aftermarket bulbs only require auto levellers if over 2000lm's, good that mine are 1600lm :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
From the same section...  :D

Rusty I wont be removing the lights for whatever reason you'd like to come up with, they're behind a projector beam setup - they're under the 2000lm limit - and they're also under the 6700k spectrum limit so as far as I'm concerned it's safe and doesn't affect other drivers, I couldn't give a rats what you or anybody else thinks about it so give it a rest and bugger off and pester someone else.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
 :raspberry1:  :kissmyass:

I didn't expect you to, Craig...  :P
but, for those that may be thinking of installing HID's, it doesn't hurt to have all the facts out there so they can make an informed decision.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Most people already know the facts and don't need to read through a topic where a troll keeps lurking stating their opinion when no one really wants to hear it, you said it once back at the beginning of this thread and you've continually trolled here ever since when asked not to ruin another topic yet you still continued :rolleyes:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
If you don't like comments and/or a debate then perhaps a forum isn't for you, Craig... :head_butt:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you want a debate Rusty then go find a political forum, continual trolling and nuisance posting in this topic only shows your arrogance and disrespect for other members :TutTut:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal