i30 Owners Club

New muffler

CraigB · 60 · 15687

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I was originally going to do a cat back new exhaust system but once I got it up on the hoist and had a good look over it I decided the only part worth changing was the rear muffler.

These systems flow fairly well as is, the headers aren't cast as I would have expected, they are stainless steel mandrel bent tuned headers as is the full exhaust system is also stainless mandrel bent :)

1 7/8" 48mm is the standard size and really wouldn't be worthwhile upsizing at this stage unless engine work was going to be done ( not happening while under warranty ) so a straight through Walker stainless long life muffler was all that was required, has a slight hum to it now but no droning inside the vehicle or barking noise out the rear and this simple change now allows the engine to breath/rev much more freely and is more punchy when pulling away at the lights.

The standard rear muffler was 6.8kg :Shocked:, 4 chambered and a massive restriction compared to what is in place now :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like another nice mod Craig!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sounds like another nice mod Craig!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
Definitely worthwhile Dazz :goodjob2: I was almost going to put a highflow 2nd/lower cat in place of the standard but I didn't want to upset the sensors in the first cat with to much of a flow change which could likely put me in limp mode.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'll have to have a look at your mods sometime, Craig.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not a problem Dave, then we can start on yours :D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Not a problem Dave, then we can start on yours :D

:goodjob2:
Not before it goes into JH for warranty work on the 30th.   :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Dave, I think for your car all you'd want to do is something like a K&N filter and a freer flowing rear muffler as well, we'll see when we look at her :)

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
Pics, or it didn't happen.
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Pics, or it didn't happen.
I'm sure you've seen a stainless muffler before...they look like the one I installed :winker: plus I can't be bothered crawling under the car :)

Here's a picture of the monster that was replaced though

And this is the new one
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:30:28 by CraigB »

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
what about the exhaust tips?  :crazy1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
what about the exhaust tips?  :crazy1:
I just reused the tip it came with, on the three doors you cant really see the tip as it's hidden beneath so it isn't worth modifying unless I was going to change the rear bumper.

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
Hmm. Actually you are right. The tourer is the same. :(

So what's next?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So what's next?
Don't know :Dunno: probably nothing now for the next 3 years while waiting for the warranty to expire, then might have it supercharged or cam'd...or maybe both :D :honk:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
After a lot of homework I've decided I'm going to change the lower/rear cat to a high flow 150cpsi, any lower the 150cpsi and you can upset the cold start emission readings during service tests ( don't want any issues there :wink: ), the standard cell count appears to be somewhere between 500 & 600cpsi so reducing to 150cpsi should make quite a bit of difference :fingers:

I'll know after next Monday or Wednesday...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

After a lot of homework I've decided I'm going to change the lower/rear cat to a high flow 150cpsi, any lower the 150cpsi and you can upset the cold start emission readings during service tests ( don't want any issues there :wink: ), the standard cell count appears to be somewhere between 500 & 600cpsi so reducing to 150cpsi should make quite a bit of difference :fingers:

I'll know after next Monday or Wednesday...

Jeepers! You might have to fit a six point harness and hans device!  :snigger:

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
So what's next?
Don't know :Dunno: probably nothing now for the next 3 years while waiting for the warranty to expire, then might have it supercharged or cam'd...or maybe both :D :honk:

Catch can? :)
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline Harley633

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Following, and where did you purchase the new muffler, I'm fairly interested
  • 2014 i30 trophy

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Following, and where did you purchase the new muffler, I'm fairly interested
At a local exhaust shop ( Cannington Performance ), most if not all exhaust shops will sell Walker products, their stainless products are as good as any top performance brand at a fraction of the cost :goodjob2:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Jeepers! You might have to fit a six point harness and hans device!  :snigger:
If only  :rofl:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Had the new catalytic converter fitted this morning, definitely gives a nice boost to the bottom end :D it has a metallic core which breaths better and lasts a lot longer as opposed to the standard ceramic core used in the factory versions

This is the factory catalytic, you can see how restrictive the core is, unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to get a photo of the new Cat's core before Sam welded it on but you can see straight through it being a 150cpsi compared to the factory one at 500 to 600cpsi

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:13:56 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Might have to have a small test drive next time I'm over Craig (if you'd let me...)

Be interesting to see what effect all the mods have on fuel economy as well.  :cool:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Might have to have a small test drive next time I'm over Craig (if you'd let me...)

Be interesting to see what effect all the mods have on fuel economy as well.  :cool:
Of course you can have a drive Dazz :goodjob2:

I'm still sitting around the 6 to 6.5 ( where it's always been ) for economy so it's not getting worse, and I've probably been driving it in a more sporting manner lately too because it's now more enjoyable to do so :D

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I'm currently getting 11.7 l/100km, which means I'm not having enough fun.  I should be able to pump that up to 15 l/100km if I really try.

I'll give you a drive, Dazz, next time you're down here.  It'll be a step back for Craig coming from the HSV though.  Just a povo SSV.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm currently getting 11.7 l/100km, which means I'm not having enough fun.  I should be able to pump that up to 15 l/100km if I really try.

I'll give you a drive, Dazz, next time you're down here.  It'll be a step back for Craig coming from the HSV though.  Just a povo SSV.
@Jamie, interior wise your SSV would be a few steps up from my old Clubby.

11.7 isn't too bad, intake and a cat back will drop you down too 9 with a power increase, Maffless tune will give you roughly the same economy but with another 40hp increase...add extractors and high flow cats with the Maffless tune and you'll be looking at 80+hp

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks guys, sounds good!  :happydance:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

@Jamie, interior wise your SSV would be a few steps up from my old Clubby.

11.7 isn't too bad, intake and a cat back will drop you down too 9 with a power increase, Maffless tune will give you roughly the same economy but with another 40hp increase...add extractors and high flow cats with the Maffless tune and you'll be looking at 80+hp

Already have catback, gives a nicer growl. It is still under warranty so I don't plan to get an OTRCAI and tune until that expires in a years time.

I don't really care that much about fuel economy. I have to support the industry that supports me!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I don't really care that much about fuel economy. I have to support the industry that supports me!
I must have supported your industry for years to come with what the Clubby used to guzzle down :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Here's a couple of photos of the new exhaust I had installed yesterday, ( sorry they're not the best quality :( )  full 2 1/4 stainless - High flow metallic CAT -  mandrel bends with Mercury resonator and Mercury Tri Flow muffler.

Just waiting for the new headers to turn up now.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Here's a couple of photos of the new exhaust I had installed yesterday, ( sorry they're not the best quality :( )

I'd take them back then and get the best quality.   :neutral:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal