i30 Owners Club

New head unit for i30

Offline bokkie1

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hampshire
Good evening everyone.
I go to pick up my used automatic 2016 i30 se on Saturday.
I love the car, but I am not fond of the head unit.
I would like to replace it with a touchscreen with built in satnav, which I believe is possible.
Think an android unit with google maps is probably the best bet, question is what is the best option?
I have seen some recommendations but all seem to be on an Australian site, and I'm in the U.K.
Can I just go to Halfords and get them to install one or do I have to get a particular unit to fit?
Will I get live traffic via GPS or would I need data?
I'm not overly confident with electrics, so wouldn't really want to install it myself.
Has anyone got any recommendations?
Thanks for your time everyone.
  • Hyundai I30

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
You best option is the gd-03 head unit which is a factory one not an aftermarket. It's plug and play and it has apple carplay and android auto so your maps will be always up to date! It is available only in Australia though. Search for stanvac wreckers on google and send them an email if they have that unit in stock. I am from Cyprus and I ordered it as well.
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline bokkie1

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hampshire
Thanks for the reply, think I'm starting to get my head around this now.
Emailed stanvac and they can send a unit to me for the equivalent of Around £300. Problem is there is the chance I'll get stung for import duties, taking it up to nearer £400.
A local cat audio no me said he can fit a Kenwood DMX 7017 Dab for £650 including necessary Fascia, connectors, etc.
Not sure which one to go for as I reckon the Kenwood looks better on paper.
I would get the GD-03 installed for me as well, so that could cost around£550 all in
Plus there is the wait for postage from Australia and the used Vs new system.
So confused
  • Hyundai I30

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Thanks for the reply, think I'm starting to get my head around this now.
Emailed stanvac and they can send a unit to me for the equivalent of Around £300. Problem is there is the chance I'll get stung for import duties, taking it up to nearer £400.
A local cat audio no me said he can fit a Kenwood DMX 7017 Dab for £650 including necessary Fascia, connectors, etc.
Not sure which one to go for as I reckon the Kenwood looks better on paper.
I would get the GD-03 installed for me as well, so that could cost around£550 all in
Plus there is the wait for postage from Australia and the used Vs new system.
So confused
If you are a bit of a handyman you can install it by yourself! You need to remove the grey vent trims and then just 8 screws (4 holding the a/c unit and 4 holding the radio). When I ordered mine they included an invoice with a lower price so I didn't pay much for import taxes. Thb I always like to use OEM stuff that's why I didn't go with an aftermarket radio.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
I paid roughly £250 for my gd-03 all in and I had it within 4 days including the weekend.
The kenwood is kind of the same but it has dab and a nicer look on the radio screen.
Either way you won’t be disappointed
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you're happy with the Kenwood then go for it, looks like it has some extra features like DAB that the GD-03 unit doesn't have.

The GD-03 unit is popular as it's basically plug and play so very easy to install yourself.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Yes, Gd-03 does not have DAB but personally I never listen to radio stations since I always plug my phone.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal