i30 Owners Club

Auto not selecting R or P - 2009 FD CW Petrol 2L

Offline LesterPK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Advice please.  2009 i30 FD CW auto, 2L petrol, 165000km. Backed out of my drive as usual, stopped, selected D and shift made a funny noise, gear position indicator on dash went blank. Can select between N and D, appears to drive normally in D but doesn't seem to get in to the highest gear (only drove it 2km up the road and back at no more than 60km/hr).
So currently back in the drive, still unable to select anything other than D or N, key stuck in ignition as can't get it into P.
Check engine light is on and generic reader shows P0700.
No previous history of trans problems or hard shifting, oil appears fine and full, no discolouring. No puddles on the drive.
From reading the forums it appears this is a selector or solenoid issue, rather than an internal gearbox issue?
Any other checks I can do myself before I take it to a mechanic, there is the shiftlock release but I'm reluctant to try that as essentially at the moment it seems I can safely drive to a mechanic one time if need be.
Shift moves freely between N and down to 1 and back, appears to be a physical restriction stopping it going up into R or P.
  • 2009 FD cw Wagon, petrol 2L, Auto, White

Offline LesterPK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Tried the shiftlock release, it worked, but going up towards R and P it stops and needs the shiftlock pushed in to enter thru R to P. Still an issue but at least I can get the key out and lock the car now.

Offline LesterPK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Problem solved so I'll post here in case anyone else has the same issue.

Turns out Hyundai have put the auto shift sensor on the same fuse circuit as the reverse lights, so if one of the LED bulbs you fitted a couple of weeks ago fails and shorts out, it takes out the fuse. It was helped by getting it to a mechanic who got a P0707 code out of the car which indicated an electrical fault with the shift sensor, a download of the service manuals and some troubleshooting and I got the rest of the way myself before taking it to a $peciali$t, Total cost, a few hours and $5 for a new pack of 10A fuses.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal