i30 Owners Club

Air conditioning problem, do I have a leak?

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I noticed today when I tried to operate the air conditioning on my 2009 1.6 CRDi i30 that the air would not go colder.
I got home and connected a can of A/C recharge gas to it.
After a short time the A/C compressor clutch clicked and I thought "great, I have fixed it"
I got into the car but it was still blowing out warm air.
I then noticed that while the aircon was on that there was a funny "hollow or tubular" sounding hissing noise coming from the drivers footwell area.
If i turned the A/C off the hissing would go after a few seconds.
I am guessing either I have a leak in the evaporator or pipework there or is it that the gas can make a strange noise while going through the expansion valve (if it's located near the evaporator)
Any ideas please?
  • Getz i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It would be gas traveling through the system, if there was a leak big enough to hear you'd see a cloud of gas escaping and you would likely have refrigerant oil everywhere.

Never heard one of these gas recharge kits  :confused: surely that would be illegal as refrigerant is highly restricted under license, the other point to make would be how do you know when the correct amount of refrigerant has been added :undecided: to much or to little and you screw up the efficiency of the system.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My gas recharge kit has an analogue meter on the delivery handle. Used it successfully on the Rav4 recently.

@rcflyers, does the AC clutch still activate when you hit the on switch (ie, has your gas recharge been retained) ?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My gas recharge kit has an analogue meter on the delivery handle. Used it successfully on the Rav4 recently.
I still don't understand how they are legal over there, it's a restricted substance to licensed and qualified technicians :crazy1: automatic lose of license and huge fines here for selling to non licensed personal and if caught releasing any gas into the atmosphere can be upwards of 180k :scared:

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
This is what I used, had it for years and never used much of it.
:link: Amazon.com: Interdynamics MAC-134 EZ Chill Refrigerant Refill with Charging Hose and Gauge - 18 oz.: Automotive

Halfords sell a similar product
:link: EZ Chill Auto Air Conditioning Rech...

Anyway, I put some more of the gas in the system and it is now getting colder so I guess I don't have a leak after all but maybe I need to go and have the system recharged professionally.
Thanks for your help.
  • Getz i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The Halfords gas is the one I use, with the delivery tube of the Amazon link.

Quote from: CraigB
I still don't understand how they are legal over there ...

They just... are  :Dunno:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
A qualified diagnostic is where I'd start
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Simple reason Craig, its the Southern Ozone Layer that is being stuffed, not in the North.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Anyway, I put some more of the gas in the system and it is now getting colder so I guess I don't have a leak after all but maybe I need to go and have the system recharged professionally.
Thanks for your help.

There should be a line pressure switch to safe guard the compressor from running without gas and lube. If you do not have enough gas pressure the compressor's clutch will not activate.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Simple reason Craig, its the Southern Ozone Layer that is being stuffed, not in the North.
But the guidelines and restrictions were put into effect in 2005 under the Kyoto protocol for climate change :crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hey Craig, I'm amazed too. I cant remember anyone in Oz or NZ not following the rules. In fact everyone seemed keen to do the right thing long before 2005.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I know of a couple of fridgies that had their licenses cancelled for not following guidelines, I think it 97 was when they first discussed introducing the protocol but it didn't come into effect until 2005.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Do the sale restrictions apply to the new types of refrigerant :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

But the guidelines and restrictions were put into effect in 2005 under the Kyoto protocol for climate change :crazy1:

Maybe that's what caused the deaths they said was due diesel emissions   :snigger:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Do the sale restrictions apply to the new types of refrigerant :question:
Yep, all refrigerant handling is restricted, even a refrigeration mechanic/technician isn't allowed to purchase unless they have an extra ticket on top of their refrigeration license.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I thought the latest gasses did not deplete the ozone layer :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I thought the latest gasses did not deplete the ozone layer :exclaim:
R134a is the current refrigerant used, not as bad as the older types but still has ozone depleting additives, significantly less than earlier types - eg R22 which has a 120 year breakdown period.
I think R134a is about 30 years from memory...long time since I studied the books :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sorry, R134a is non ozone depleting but still has modest global warming potential, R12 was the worst one at 120 year period and then we moved on to R22 which was 30 to 50 year period and then to R134a, still listed as a restricted substance.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry, R134a is non ozone depleting but still has modest global warming potential, R12 was the worst one at 120 year period and then we moved on to R22 which was 30 to 50 year period and then to R134a, still listed as a restricted substance.

Them Nissan R34's probably deplete the ozone layer too.. But don't tell my Daughter (they have two of 'em!)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Here we are stopping the burning of coal and asking the Chinese to stop polluting; little did we know it was down to the usual culprits, bloody Poms shopping at Halfords.  :head_knock:

I know of a couple of fridgies that had their licenses cancelled for not following guidelines, I think it 97 was when they first discussed introducing the protocol but it didn't come into effect until 2005.

During the 1980s, a hole in the Ozone layer over Australia became evident. Our scientists and informed Oz/Kiwis became concerned.  However, at that stage, the Northern layer was unaffected so up there it was the usual 'tally-ho, chocks away old boy' and stuff the Empire we don't have anymore.
Obviously, the same arrogance still prevails despite a melting ice cap to their North.   :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal