« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:47:18 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Alan (very interesting) and quite different to OZ (Mazda is much higher up here and VW much lower for example) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
almost a reverse story in the uk like dazz has mentioned.  :confused:  its possible the brits just like crap cars.  :whistler: :lol:  our i30 owners are excempt .  :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Can't get over the contrast to our local numbers down under.

http://www.pickles.com.au/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/live-001379.pdf

In 2011 January to June 2011

With the first half of 2011 now behind us, it’s an intriguing time to analyse the new vehicle sales data and highlight the winners, losers, trends and surprises of the Australian automotive industry so far this year.

Between January and June 2011, a total of 496,236 new passenger cars, SUVs and commercial vehicles were registered in Australia, representing a 6.6 percent decline compared with the same period in 2010, when 531,168 new vehicles were registered.

Supply issues from Japan since the March earthquake and tsunami have had a big impact. Sales at the beginning of 2010 were also very strong, as the nation continued to emerge from the global financial crisis and import tariffs were halved to just five per cent.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) is “hopeful” that Australia will still reach one million sales in 2011, although CEO Andrew McKellar believes the recent hike in the Fringe Benefits Tax on cars could have a negative effect on the industry’s recovery.

2011 sales2010 salesDifference2011 market share2010 market shareDifference
Toyota85,128107,470-20.8%17.2%20.2%-3.0%
Holden62,57068,657-8.9%12.6%12.9%-0.3%
Ford45,22449,196-8.1%9.1%9.3%-0.2%
Mazda43,79642,8712.2%8.8%8.1%0.7%
Hyundai42,97842,3711.4%8.7%8.0%0.7%
Nissan33,97332,8303.5%6.8%6.2%0.6%
Mitsubishi31,48632,372-2.7%6.3%6.1%0.2%
Volkswagen20,50519,3066.2%4.1%3.6%0.5%
Subaru18,64521,109-11.7%3.8%4.0%-0.2%
Honda16,35322,205-26.4%3.3%4.2%-0.9%

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Sorry for the formatting, it was all lined up in the preview pane

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it does the job.  :goodjob2: :mrgreen:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I didn't realize what a minority we're in.
How much weight does popularity & sales figures actually carry. Somebody please explain what it is, that enables a minority like us, to so much enjoy our vehicles. Could it be true that Toyota owners are that much happier.,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Dazz  :question:

Alan needs to keep his car and but another Hyundai IMO.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

How much weight does popularity & sales figures actually carry. Somebody please explain what it is, that enables a minority like us, to so much enjoy our vehicles. Could it be true that Toyota owners are that much happier.,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Dazz  :question:

I love our Hybrid and am very impressed with the Toyota service department (compared to the Hyundai one...) However, the i40 Diesel is very much on our short list as a replacement in 2013 or 14  :razz: and Trish wants to keep her CW for 10 years +

I look at it another way Phil, look where Hyundai is compared to Honda, Subaru and Mitsubishi  (close to toppling Mazda too)  :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It's only a matter of time I think. This brings up one point that niggles at me, That our cars are Sth Korean origin. I realise the Sth Korean''s defend democracy fiercely, I just wish our money was going to a more stable area. Those guys up north are crazy,,,,, and dangerous.  :fum:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

I love our Hybrid and am very impressed with the Toyota service department (compared to the Hyundai one...) However, the i40 Diesel is very much on our short list as a replacement in 2013 or 14  :razz: and Trish wants to keep her CW for 10 years +

I look at it another way Phil, look where Hyundai is compared to Honda, Subaru and Mitsubishi  (close to toppling Mazda too)  :goodjob:
that's a very interesting post dazz.  :confused: my father owns a Toyota landcruiser and he said his local dealers service dept is totally useless.  :Shocked: on the other hand I'm extremely impressed with our local Hyundai mechanics.  :mrgreen: i think its a case of service from dealer to dealer in this case.  :idea:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
It's only a matter of time I think. This brings up one point that niggles at me, That our cars are Sth Korean origin. I realise the Sth Korean''s defend democracy fiercely, I just wish our money was going to a more stable area. Those guys up north are crazy,,,,, and dangerous.  :fum:
i was of the impression that the dealers bought the cars from the factory,then sold the cars to us for a profit.  :confused:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If the guys up north lose the plot.. it will be more than Hyundai who would be effected  :confused: 

I read somewhere that the 2012 i30 for Oz will be sourced from Europe (hope they lift their quality control)  :whistler:

Steve.. I guess most of our money still ends up in Korea (one way or the other)  :mrgreen:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
If the guys up north lose the plot.. it will be more than Hyundai who would be effected  :confused: 

I read somewhere that the 2012 i30 for Oz will be sourced from Europe (hope they lift their quality control)  :whistler:

Steve.. I guess most of our money still ends up in Korea (one way or the other)  :mrgreen:
i imagine your right dazz.  :disapp:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If they come out of Europe, count me out. & Why would they come from there.  :question:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
If they come out of Europe, count me out. & Why would they come from there.  :question:
I'm fairly sure the i30 is designed in germany,i may be wrong though.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I would only own Korean built I'm afraid.  :neutral:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have a 2010 european i30 which has had less problems than any of the three Audis I owned previously.

The only problem I have had in 13000 miles is the chrome on the alloy wheel inserts blistering - they have been changed twice under warranty.

My wife's i10 has been totally faultless - as has a daughters Getz and a friend's i20.

Hence I am at a loss to understand why you Aussies see the Euro cars as unreliable. There are plenty of problems reported on the forum with Korean built cars.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I'm fairly sure the i30 is designed in germany,i may be wrong though.

You are correct - the i30 and i40 were designed in Germany by a design team headed by the guy who designed the Audi A3 and the Audi TT. The team includes other designers poached from VW and BMW. Hence the interest shown in the new i30 by the VW CEO at the recent Frankfurt car show. VW in particular are concerned that Hyundai and Kia are eating into their market share in several european markets and are also strong in the USA.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I have a 2010 european i30 which has had less problems than any of the three Audis I owned previously.

The only problem I have had in 13000 miles is the chrome on the alloy wheel inserts blistering - they have been changed twice under warranty.

My wife's i10 has been totally faultless - as has a daughters Getz and a friend's i20.

Hence I am at a loss to understand why you Aussies see the Euro cars as unreliable. There are plenty of problems reported on the forum with Korean built cars.
Ive never owned a car built over seas until i bought 2 i30's.  :winker: but i will ad that people i know that own some of your higher priced euro cars say that they are over priced and un relyable pieces of.... i better stop there.  :winker: :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well, it's further away to transport the vehicles. We all know that the motor manufacturing industry makes cars according to political environments. Mitsubishi used to make cares for years in Adelaide because the SA govt made it attractive for them to build here. Remove the tax subsidies, they bugger off, leaving workers high & dry. Who owned the factory before Mitsubishi, Chrysler.

IMO Europe has so many problems at the moment that workers are disillusioned with the EU situation and that reflects in their standard of workmanship. BTW, Nothing out of Europe would interest me because the import duties 98% on any vehicle that is classed as luxury, Audi,BMW, Merc etc (but not Lada),  :rofl: makes them way too expensive. I'd but local if there wasn't an alternative, probably Holden Commodore.  :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ironically, Shambles Korean Built i30 had the same issue with the alloy wheel inserts... I think you got a good one Alan.

The earlier i30's made in the Euro Factory seemed to have more paint issues and annoying faults like the suspension Shrouds slipping and stuff like that... :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If they can't make a good car out of their "Head Office", no matter where it's designed, well, what can I say.

BTW The success of the model is because it WAS designed in Europe. Europeans have a very good aptitude in this area, I have no argument with that. As the car is CAD, the numbers go back to Sth Korea for approval, then the Sth Korean robots build the cars.  :mrgreen:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Fixed :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Steve You're a champ (in a good sort of way)  :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Fixed Alan's as well. If you want to see how difficult it is in SMF, do a quote on either post  :sweating:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fixed Alan's as well. If you want to see how difficult it is in SMF, do a quote on either post  :sweating:

Geez I'm glad I was too lazy to read the Tables How to section ... :confused:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've been carefull not to quote too larger posts in fear of what could happen.  :lol:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I think here in the UK it's a case of badge snobbery.  :confused:
Some people wouldn't buy a Hyundai or any Korean based car no matter how good they are :exclaim:

Unless maybe they were very very fast!  :Drive:
Most UK folks look at whats on others driveways, if there is a Beemer or whatever on there then in their eyes "you made it" whether or not you really have... yea just petty materialists.
My nephew has a Focus that is maybe 10 years old now... he's a real car enthusiast, has plenty spare money (he's spent around £25,000 on that Focus!) He's 28 years old & really REALLY loves the Veloster... but wouldnt be seen in ANY Hyundai!  :eek:

The trick for any brand is to get that perception that BMW have.
I have spent a lifetime having to travel for work, to meetings etc & I can honestly say that on my travels I have seen many German cars stopped on hard shoulders, they are OK but not brilliant.
Japanese cars are good  for reliability in the main but not great for much else, a bit bland.....
Italian cars are fun & designed with passion, but built with less than enthusiasm for quality & as such are a bit risky to own.

So dare I say, that until Hyundai find that Holy Grail... they will be doomed to sit behind the Germans & the Japs.

Ford win their fans over via Motorsport as I dare say Holden do in Australia, maybe a part of the answer for Hyundai is a competition arm so the young & fashion conscious get to see the brand as "Socially Acceptable & good to be associated with" as currently the Toyota brand is, & VW group etc etc etc....?

• Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Well said Keith - I'm with you all the way.

I will admit it took some doing to get me off Audis - but was persuaded by an i30 test drive and a close look at my bank balance.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Well said Keith - I'm with you all the way.

I will admit it took some doing to get me off Audis - but was persuaded by an i30 test drive and a close look at my bank balance.

Thanks Alan, & there's another thing right there... "and a close look at my bank balance." Cant be seen to be buying sensibly now can we.... after all, I made it & everyone should know I made it... Lol!

I couldn't give a toss myself, I bought a cracking motor for not much money that everything still works on & wont let me down!  :winker:

It's a secret all us Hyundai drivers share!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal