Bluetooth Being Used by Thieves

AlanHo · 10 · 2934

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Police are warning motorists to switch off their satnavs and mobile phones if they intend leaving them in their car out of view in the glove box, luggage or other compartment.

UK Police believe that the crooks are using Bluetooth technology to identify cars which may have mobile phones or satnavs hidden inside.

Many modern satnavs and mobile phones use Bluetooth for handsfree connectivity to the car or to each other. A thief can use a Bluetooth equipped mobile phone to find devices in the vicinity broadcasting a Bluetooth signal.

Whilst switching off the device is one solution, the police advise never to leave your satnav or other high value equipment such as mobile phones, cameras etc in your vehicle when it's unattended.

Never leave anything on show, hide all the power leads and mounts, and pop your satnav in your pocket. Even a few coins in the centre console can temp a thief, don't be a victim.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Sage advice.......but I have a couple of questions.

1.  Whats the point in taking a mobile phone along with you and then leaving it in the glovebox?  Do people do that?

2.  Surely a Bluetooth device can only be spotted by another device if it is in "Discover" mode, or has previously been paired?  Even if you accidentally leave it in discover mode, that usually only lasts a couple of minutes.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Very true,

but then who would always remove their satnav? even the smear on the windscreen from the suction cup gives it away.
my old sat nav only turns on when powered off the car :D no thief will ever find it...
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Sage advice.......but I have a couple of questions.

2.  Surely a Bluetooth device can only be spotted by another device if it is in "Discover" mode, or has previously been paired?  Even if you accidentally leave it in discover mode, that usually only lasts a couple of minutes.
If bluetooth is on, anybody can find it, most devices are in discovery mode 24/7 anyways, unless the user changes that option. most wont

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Really??

None of our Android or Apple phones came with BT in discoverable mode, both had to be put into that mode along with the ix20 being put into discovery mode at the same time (both lasted for 120 seconds) in order to be paired.

I therefore assumed that unless it was in discovery mode it was hidden, is that not the case? :undecided: :undecided:

Like you my old sat nav needs power and wouldn't know what Bluetooth is :lol: :lol:
The nice lady inside it always gets us where we want to go though, despite occasionally finding herself driving over green fields where the new roads have started appearing :rofl: :rofl:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Mad Dog

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire

• Barking Mad

I therefore assumed that unless it was in discovery mode it was hidden, is that not the case? :undecided: :undecided:

When Discovery is turned off the phone is hidden from casual observers. A mate of mine used to go into pub as BT message people with Discovery on (to try and impress the girls). However you can get tech that will still see them if it is on at all - like the radio signal detectors some thieves use to pick up your remote frequency code in car parks  :eek:
  • Ice Blue Petrol 1.4 Comfort Oct 11

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I may be thinking of the older. more simpler days of mobile phoen technology.. when everybody had their Bluetooth on , on their phone to send pitures between each other.. times when i-phone was just a wee kid who couldnt say my phone.....

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Favourite used to be BLUEJACKING which was taker your lappy with it's bluetooth dongle, go to a crowded area, airport or train station and get comfy ona bench open the lappy and start searching for bluetooth connections used by the lazy or ignorant.  ONce you landed on an insecure phone you make a phone call to a previously set up PREMIUM rate phone number you have set up say a fiver a minute and watch the cash roll in.

The owner of the phone getv a nasty surprise at some time in the future.

I believe that this particular scam has been partly addressed and also is fairly well known.    It scared the heck out of me when I found out about it and promtly switch my bluetooth off

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
I never experience any of the issues mentioned as all of my teeth are white :rofl:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Favourite used to be BLUEJACKING .....and watch the cash roll in.

All i need now is a laptop, and a trip to the airport terminal... this time next year i'll be a millionaire....

I never experience any of the issues mentioned as all of my teeth are white :rofl:

:deserted: Technology 1 - UM 0....

do you want me to call you a taxi now? or later? :P

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal