i30 Owners Club

2011 - Wheel making whirring noise when engaging power steering

kbann · 1 · 7644

Offline kbann

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Hi  :D

I have a 2011 Hyundai I30 Sx 4 Sp Automatic 5d Hatchback, 2.0L petrol engine.

I had the star bush replaced in Feb 2021 when the knocking sound started to occur, at the time there were no other obvious issues with the steering etc. When I picked the car up, I immediately noticed the whirring noise (see below link for current example), but naively/stupidly thought it might just be they overtightened something in the wheel column and it would clear up over time.

I took it back to the mechanic in Feb 22, and they said that as their service warranty is only for 6 months not much they can do. They took a look and said it's likely that the electric steering motor needs to be replaced (which they had never seen before on an i30), and that even if they provided the labour for free it would cost around $1500 for the part. Given I plan on selling the car in the next 2 months, I can't really be bothered spending that much on it.

There is no issue with the power steering itself, the car drives perfectly fine, just the noise is annoying. The EPS light has never come on, and the noise has stayed consistent for the past 13 months.

Does anyone think it could be another issue? Or know if it's something I could fix myself without any new expensive parts!

I've uploaded it here:  :link: i30 wheel steering noise - YouTube
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 13:08:21 by kbann »
  • Hyundai i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal