i30 Owners Club

Virus warning of the other kind!

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Perhaps not exactly a virus but it got your attention, and it is virus-related. :P

I tried eSet virus scanning software about a week ago on both my W10 desktop and W7 laptop.

Seemingly unrelated was the end of our time with our last ISP, whereby I'm feeding the home router's Ethernet port a connection via a 4G device temporarily, just until we select a new ISP.
All devices in the house, both wired and wireless, were working as always except for the W10 PC. Its Realtek PCIe Family Gigabit Ethernet port would see the connection but would not see any internet, complaining of no IP address being assigned. I had tried all sorts of changes but the PC just wouldn't budge, and I was about to install an old router as a WiFi bridge to see if it would help. :crazy1:

... Up until I spotted a mention online of someone who had resolved it by uninstalling their antivirus software! Then I remembered I'd given eSet a go as an instantaneous virus check and had kept it around for next month's check. I went to uninstall it and Lo and Behold it didn't register as an installed program, so in I went to surgically remove all trace of it by hand. :rolleyes:

So beware eSet - my advice? Steer well clear of it! :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'd recommend running their uninstaller tool as well, Gonz.

:link: [KB2289] Manually uninstall your ESET product using the ESET uninstaller tool

Windows 10 has Defender built in and is equally as good as any paid offering, if you're wanting to run another tool for a second opinion I would suggest using the free version of Malwarebytes :link: Antivirus for Windows 11 | Windows Antivirus | Malwarebytes Windows 11  make sure to untick trial mode and anything else that is pre-checked.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal