i30 Owners Club

Mk 1 CRDi - installing different turbos

Offline 0neNutta

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland, Australia
Anybody ever been in the position where you’re trying to source a turbo for say, your 2011 FD that has the 2A400 for example and you have the opportunity to grab a 2a710 for example? Or even a 2a610 (I think that’s correct).

How dentrimental is this?

Has anybody made a list on what turbos we’re available and what was interchangeable?
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Wagon, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Blue

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
You should get together with @william. He's posted about his FD turbo on its way out. Collaborate and you might arrive at a mutually beneficial outcome.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Think this is what Gonz is referring: :link: Turbo issues

I have no experience of old whining turbo's myself as my TGDI is low milage. But a web search of "2A400 turbo alternatives" found this amongst others. :link: Turbocharger for Hyundai Accent, Click, Elantra, Getz, i30, Verna / Ki

There seems little or no advice I have seen on the forum regarding OEM or other sources of turbo's. I know turbo's are more reliable than they once were, but surely there must be some FD Turbo Diesel owners in Oz that have replaced their turbo's and can offer some advice, if only to take it to your friendly Hyundai Dealer

All I would say is don't leave it until the turbo goes phutt and discards the sum of its parts into the engine.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline william

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
My turbo started whining to the Mrs to stop driving it. I was lucky enough to find a turbo for it with 65,000 km on it.
Ive researched this keep to the numbers on the turbo as you might need to muck about with the boost not too sure yet my turbo has been sent in the mail so waiting on it still.
But I have ordered a gasket kit for it, studs and nuts just in case they cristalize.
Fingers crossed it's back on the car soon. My 09 FD crdi has done 525,000 before the turbo started complaining.
Also make sure I've seen on a website that it's not a pulley bearing too.

Will
  • i30 wagon 09

Offline 0neNutta

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland, Australia
My turbo started whining to the Mrs to stop driving it. I was lucky enough to find a turbo for it with 65,000 km on it.
Ive researched this keep to the numbers on the turbo as you might need to muck about with the boost not too sure yet my turbo has been sent in the mail so waiting on it still.
But I have ordered a gasket kit for it, studs and nuts just in case they cristalize.
Fingers crossed it's back on the car soon. My 09 FD crdi has done 525,000 before the turbo started complaining.
Also make sure I've seen on a website that it's not a pulley bearing too.

Will

I've actually been really struggling to find anyone reputable to sell me a used 2A400 for under $500 anywhere in Brisbane 😩

I got hold of a 2A610 but quickly realised that I will need different oil lines 😭
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Wagon, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Blue

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal