i30 Owners Club

How to replace manual gear lever boot/gaiter on 2010 i30

Offline Kennoath

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
I found a replacement part on eBay, but fitting it is not so simple. Videos online make it look very simple, but that's misleading. The existing boot is attached internally somehow and it doesn't release even with a lot of force. I'm afraid of breaking it. Anyone done this before?
  • i30 hatch 2010

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
I had to remove console and work from underneath when mine when powdery and perished

Offline Kennoath

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Anyone know where I can find instructions for lifting out that console?
  • i30 hatch 2010

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If the FD is similar to the GD it's quite simple, push down into the lower edge of the gaiter and feel underneath for some very small plastic tabs located around the outer edge (GD has two tabs located each side underneath)

If you can feel the tab try pulling it towards the shifter with the tip of your finger, it shouldn't require to much force.

Offline Kennoath

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Solved:
The leather boot is stapled to a plastic frame, and that is screwed to the console from underneath.
If you pull up and wiggle the console, from the shifter opening at the rear, you can pop out the front part of the console, detach some wiring, unscrew the leather boot, pry out the staples, then install the new leather with a staple gun and reinstall the rest.
  • i30 hatch 2010

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal