i30 Owners Club

2017 PD I30 Elite Flasher/Indicator location

buff · 16 · 4075

Offline buff

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Picked up my 2017 I30 as a Plate run out at the start of the new year and have been having fun buying new toys and presents for the car just to tweak it. As part of this I have replaced all interior, Brake/tail, reverse and indicator lights with LED bulbs. Found out the Brake lights needed a Load resister to stop the "lamp error" on the dash, no worries there a simple fix but the turn indicators have the same "lamp error" and also the dreaded hyper-flash.
I picked up some load resisters to resolve this but would like to go down a different path and replace the Flasher Relay for a LED rated one, but for the life of me I cant find the relays location.
Have removed the cover panel below the steering wheel to have a good look even used the phones camera and a endoscope I use for work to find cables in walls (no I'm not a proctologist  :scared:) but no obvious luck in spotting it. Tried the old trick of trying to follow the flashes clicking but with shot hearing and from later searching found the clicker is a separate item to the relay have had no luck.

So the question is, I hope someone with a PD model might know were I could find the relay without me becoming a contortionist (and at 56 not a pretty thought  :Shocked:)
  • 2017 PD i30 Elite, Diesel 1.6lt, DCT, Iron Grey

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Buff, I know others have replaced the indicators with LED without issue. I think they got canbus ones..? So no relay change required..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi Buff, I know others have replaced the indicators with LED without issue. I think they got canbus ones..? So no relay change required..
Yep, these are the little beauties  :link: 1 x Canbus BRIGHT AMBER LED INDICATOR BULB No Hyperflash BAU15S PY21W ? Classic Car LEDs out of stock again currently though, they're very popular.

The relay is tucked right up behind the dash somewhere, a real pain the get at

Offline buff

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
The ones I picked up from a Australian supplier were suppose to be "Canbus" error/hyperflash free but didn't live up to there claim. Have a second set ordered that should be arriving today so fingers crossed I want have to dig under the dash to replace the relay  :D

Offline Intergalacticwolf

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Yep, these are the little beauties  :link: 1 x Canbus BRIGHT AMBER LED INDICATOR BULB No Hyperflash BAU15S PY21W ? Classic Car LEDs out of stock again currently though, they're very popular.

Has anyone else with a non-premium SR or Elite models tried fitting this to their car with no issues? They seem to be back in stock but am a bit hesitant still...
  • 2017 PD i30 SR DCT

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Quote from: CraigB on July 08, 2018, 04:52:46
Quote from: Dazzler on July 08, 2018, 04:33:18
Yep, these are the little beauties    1 x Canbus BRIGHT AMBER LED INDICATOR BULB No Hyperflash BAU15S PY21W ? Classic Car LEDs out of stock again currently though, they're very popular.

Has anyone else with a non-premium SR or Elite models tried fitting this to their car with no issues? They seem to be back in stock but am a bit hesitant still...

Yes they fit straight in and no hyperflash. very bright & look good. no issues
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Can also get a similar design right here in Australia now too, from EsLighting :link: led strip light, led downlights, connectors, car bulbs, 12v, | Product Page

They end up being about $30 cheaper for 4 bulbs than importing the ones from classic car in the UK.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:10:28 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice find Craig! I'll keep an eye on those.. Got a few bills to pay first.  :cool:

Offline Intergalacticwolf

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Cheers, Crusty. I just ordered some. Ha E you tried changing the front indicators too? Would you happen to know if doing all 4 indicators might cause a hyperflash issue since there's such a small combined voltage being used?

@CraigB cheers man. I just ordered some from the UK website. Oh well! At least I know where to go next time  :goodjob2:
  • 2017 PD i30 SR DCT

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Cheers, Crusty. I just ordered some. Ha E you tried changing the front indicators too? Would you happen to know if doing all 4 indicators might cause a hyperflash issue since there's such a small combined voltage being used?

@CraigB cheers man. I just ordered some from the UK website. Oh well! At least I know where to go next time  :goodjob2:
No problem :goodjob2:

You can change all 4 bulbs with no issues, the inbuilt circuitry prevents hyperflash.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:32:57 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Nice find Craig! I'll keep an eye on those.. Got a few bills to pay first.  :cool:
I actually like these eslighting one's better and wish these were out before I bought the others, better chips with 48 LED's compared to 105 in the other, superior cooling and circuitry design even though the others are still good quality :goodjob2:

Offline buff

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Have gone for the eslighting indicators and the brake/tail lights, no errors or hyperflashing. I did need to add a Diode on the tail light side of the Brake/tail light to prevent the second tail light from coming on when the brakes were applied.
Had one Brake/tail light fail in three days but got in touch with eslighting and they are sending a replacement ASAP

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Have gone for the eslighting indicators and the brake/tail lights, no errors or hyperflashing. I did need to add a Diode on the tail light side of the Brake/tail light to prevent the second tail light from coming on when the brakes were applied.
Had one Brake/tail light fail in three days but got in touch with eslighting and they are sending a replacement ASAP

I have the Classic LEDs and happy with them.
It states on eslighting website that the indicator LEDs turn off after 4 seconds to preserve life.
Does this mean the hazard emergency lights turn off after 4 seconds too?  :whistler: :phone1:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have the Classic LEDs and happy with them.
It states on eslighting website that the indicator LEDs turn off after 4 seconds to preserve life.
Does this mean the hazard emergency lights turn off after 4 seconds too?  :whistler: :phone1:

That's not much good is it? If you are stopped at the lights to turn and they switch off after 4 seconds you could get abused or even fined!  :crazy1:

Offline buff

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Just checked my LED indicator/flashers and yes they turn "On" then "Off" then "On" then "Off" then "On" then "Off" then "On" then "Off" and so forth  :crazy2:  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just checked my LED indicator/flashers and yes they turn "On" then "Off" then "On" then "Off" then "On" then "Off" then "On" then "Off" and so forth  :crazy2:  :wink:

Yeah that's kind of what my mate Paddy said when I asked him if my indicators were working the other day. Yes, No, Yes , No..  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal