i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: 2015 i30 Headlight adjustments (Non self levelling H7 bulbs)

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Hi guys,

Thought this might be helpful for some of you. It's for Non self levelling H7 bulb units on my 2015 i30.

For the adjustment you'll need either a medium to large head Phillips screw driver with shank at least 140mm long for physical reach (method 1), or a short shank Phillips screw driver (method 2), or a socket set with 12mm socket or 12mm ring spanner (method 3).

Pic 1 Approaching car with bonnet up showing headlight unit on left hand side (right hand side when facing front of car. This will be the light used in all photos).

Pic 2 Notice the 'U D'  Up/Down symbols and hole for the long shank screw driver. This adjusts the High beam up or down.

Pic 3 and 4 Notice a guide for a screw driver shank lower down on the rear of the headlight unit. This is the adjuster for the Low beam up or down. Also notice in pic 4 the 12mm nut with Phillips head in it's centre. By rotating this nut with socket set or using a short Phillips screw driver, you can achieve the same result as using a long shank Phillips screw driver as all we want to do is rotate either clockwise or anti-clockwise. It's best to do this on level ground with headlights on pointing at a wall so you can see your adjustments. Ideally you don't want your low beam lights higher than about 3" below the start of a back window of a medium car.

Pic 5 Another broader look at location of High beam adjustment.

Pic 6 These probably won't need adjusting. They are a L R (left/right) adjustments.

Pic 7 and 8 An H7 bulb

Pic 9 Showing why you need a Phillips screw driver with a minimum of 140mm shank if you want to adjust by method 1. It show a vernier calliper depth gauge measuring down to the adjustment mechanism.

Pic 10 Showing a close up of the mechanism. See the little cog teeth? Your Phillips screw driver will engage with those teeth. Its crude but effective. You can also use method 2 and 3 by using the 12mm socket, ring spanner or short shanked Phillips screw driver.

I can't tell you how much you'll need to turn the nut, but if you do it at night on level ground facing a wall, you can see your adjustments. A little at a time is best and be careful not to blind other drivers. I guaranty you'll be impressed with the results. Hyundai is OVER CONSERVATIVE with their factory adjustment. There a excellent gains to be made.

Cheers James.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 23:47:19 by Omegaspeedy »
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :ta: James  :brilliant:

You are a pretty good bloke (for a Kiwi)  :mrgreen: :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
:ta: James  :brilliant:

You are a pretty good bloke (for a Kiwi)  :mrgreen: :lol:

LOL :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Excellent work. Topic stickied as a "how to" :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hope a Little add-on is allowed.  :mrgreen:

On the headlight there's printed the drop the light must have. 1,0% meaning the light must drop 1 cm per meter

To adjust them correct use this method:

1. Make sure you're on a level surface.
2. Park 2 meter away from a wall (measured from the headlight lens, not the front of the car)
3. measure the distance from floor to middle of the lens
4. Deduct 2 cm from the earlier measurement and mark the height on the wall
5. Adjust the headlights to hit the mark on the wall.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Thanks asterix and how do you put your pic on this forum and keep the resolution ?
  • I30 active 1.4 petrol 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Use an external host as photobucket or Imgur and follow the guide in the welcome section...  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Cheers for that Asterix, thats far more scientific than how I did it :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal