i30 Owners Club

Black Wheel Nuts. Better than chrome ??? + Other Info

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Brought some new wheel nuts off eBay.  And they just got delivered the other day.

So I had some spare time to see how they look on one wheel..   I quite like them.
I feel like the black does blend in better over the chrome stock ones..     Thoughts ???

Also as Craig B done towards the end of last year..  I'm also going to be painting the brake calipers.
But I shall be going with Satin Black instead. Just for something a little different. :link: Duplicolor Aerosol Paint - Caliper Paint, Satin Black, 340g | Supercheap Auto
Got 2 cans as they were on special at the time. 2 for $25.     That will be a job for next weekend though.
Also ordered a set of High Temp Vinyl Decal with "HYUNDAI" to go on each caliper in Orange. Not 100% sure on that yet. But will find out when I put them on.
If I'm not happy with them on.  Quite easy to just peel them off..

Car goes in tomorrow (Fri 18th Jan) for a wheel alignment.  The steering wheel is slightly right side down. And the car feels like it's tram-lining on the freeway.
And then the big 20,000 service next Wednesday.  With there being quite a slight whistle noise coming from the turbo. So they will have a look at that..

• PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I like the more contiguous look of the black nuts. You know what they say: once you go black ... :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Black wheel nuts looks good, red dust cap is nice touch too.  :goodjob:

I have been procrastinating over painting my brake calipers like CraigB  :whistler:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I like the more contiguous look of the black nuts. You know what they say: once you go black ... :whistler:

I did have black nuts once.. Hey, but at least I can't have anymore :goodjob2: kids  :rofl:

Black wheel nuts looks good, red dust cap is nice touch too.  :goodjob:

I have been procrastinating over painting my brake calipers like CraigB  :whistler:
I did also think of Red or Yellow..    But they are not the best looking brake caliper
So maybe an upgrade to i30N discs & calipers when the prices on spare parts become more realistic

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I like the black nuts too. I'll have to experiment with mine when I get home.  :goodjob:

Being as my wheels are all black might be too much.   :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
  :lol:  :rofl:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The black nuts look good and blend in with the centre cap well :goodjob2: I agree the black calipers would probably be the best choice to contrast with car colour and silver wheels, spraying the calipers can be a risky job if you’re not removing them.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
The black nuts look good and blend in with the centre cap well :goodjob2: I agree the black calipers would probably be the best choice to contrast with car colour and silver wheels, spraying the calipers can be a risky job if you’re not removing them.

Yeah it is a bit of a tricky job.  I have done it before without removing the caliper..

Just need to mask, mask & mask some more...

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
Yeah I like the look of the black nuts, looks great mate. Also agree with others that black callipers would look great as well, but yeah spraying in situ is a bit risky and bloody fiddly, id be taking them off to do them if I was going to but then I am also a scaredy cat!  :lol:

I do like the contrast of the red dust cap as well, if metal just remember to keep greasing when you regularly check your tyre pressures. Those metal ones have a habit if corroding onto the valve if not maintained.
  • 2017 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6, Manual, Grey

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Yeah I like the look of the black nuts, looks great mate. Also agree with others that black callipers would look great as well, but yeah spraying in situ is a bit risky and bloody fiddly, id be taking them off to do them if I was going to but then I am also a scaredy cat!  :lol:

I do like the contrast of the red dust cap as well, if metal just remember to keep greasing when you regularly check your tyre pressures. Those metal ones have a habit if corroding onto the valve if not maintained.

I have thought about taking them off to paint..  I haven't had a good look at them just yet.
Drop sheets & masking tape hopefully will be enough.  It's more the over spray to lookout for..
I'll post up some pictures when I go the job.  Which will be next weekend.

So far they have been good.   But being aluminium, they shouldn't corrode that much.  :link: 4pcs Orange Wheel Tyre Tire Valve Stems Air Dust Cover Screw Cap | eBay

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@MT-RED We don't have to salt our roads anywhere in Oz and obviously it is a lot dryer in most parts.   :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
@MT-RED We don't have to salt our roads anywhere in Oz and obviously it is a lot dryer in most parts.   :D

Hahaha, good point. Unlike here where we love to fill our roads with it, does wonders for your car!  :mad:

• 2017 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6, Manual, Grey

Offline Mentordriver

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Central coast

• Maverick
Hey, where on EBay did you buy the black wheel nuts?
  • I30 sr 2018 blue

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal