i30 Owners Club

Heavier steering on 2010 1.6

Erikfr · 13 · 3609

Offline Erikfr

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
      Bergen
Is there a way to make the steering heavier on the 1st gen (2010)? Maybe through some software manipulation or replacing parts in the steering column? Or simply changing the tyres?
  • i30 1.6 CRDI 90 2010

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Wider tyres can add a little more of a weighted feel, though I wouldn't expect much difference.

The GD models can switch between Comfort - Normal - Sport, If the FD doesn't have the same setting option then I don't think there is much you can do about it unfortunately.

Offline Erikfr

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
      Bergen
At the moment the car is on 7 year old Vredestein Sportrac 5 tyres, 195/65 15 (just bought the car), and they are in their last season thread wise. I am planning to replace them with 205/55 16 Michelin Pilot Sport 4, which I have heard good reviews of, not least when it comes to wet handling and safety. Should this make a difference toward a "heavier" feel? And should I perhaps go even one size more up, to 17 inch, or is that going to be too harsh a ride (I like how it rides now)?
  • i30 1.6 CRDI 90 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
At the moment the car is on 7 year old Vredestein Sportrac 5 tyres, 195/65 15 (just bought the car), and they are in their last season thread wise. I am planning to replace them with 205/55 16 Michelin Pilot Sport 4, which I have heard good reviews of, not least when it comes to wet handling and safety. Should this make a difference toward a "heavier" feel? And should I perhaps go even one size more up, to 17 inch, or is that going to be too harsh a ride (I like how it rides now)?

I think 1 size (16") would be adequate (17" will definitely firm up the rise due to the smaller sidewalls)

Pilot Sport 4's are definitely a good tyre and amy very well increase steering feel a bit.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Upsizing the circumference wont add weight to the steering feel, you would need more width and as mentioned you would barely notice it, something is better than nothing I suppose :)

I went from 16 x 205 to 18 x 225 and it made very little difference due to electronic assisted steering, though 18's certainly make the ride firmer.

Offline Erikfr

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
      Bergen
Yeah, I guess whaterver mod you make to the tires will be compensated by the electric power steering... But I guess new premium tyres will be better than older an cheaper ones in general.

Out of curiosity - why would it be would be so complicated to go into the software and lower the amplitude on the power steering, considering all the tuning that is being done to engines, and given that there are actually driving programs on later models? Are there security concerns? Or just not possible to alter through software?
  • i30 1.6 CRDI 90 2010

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Out of curiosity - why would it be would be so complicated to go into the software and lower the amplitude on the power steering, considering all the tuning that is being done to engines, and given that there are actually driving programs on later models? Are there security concerns? Or just not possible to alter through software?
I've never heard of this being done before, whether it's possible I wouldn't know :Dunno:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I always found my 2009 FD CRDi power steering wheel wright ok.

I'd be tempted to get the tracking checked.

Generally new tyres feels slightly lighter than ones near the end of the life in my experience.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Generally new tyres feels slightly lighter than ones near the end of the life in my experience.
^

What he said on all points.
I came out of a Subaru Impreza to my 2009 FD and was amazed at how good the steering was for a 2WD car.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I third that. I have found the steering feel quite good in all our four i30's. They all felt quite sure footed for a relatively small car (so basically feel like they are a class or two larger - in a good way)   :cool:

Offline Erikfr

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
      Bergen

^

What he said on all points.
I came out of a Subaru Impreza to my 2009 FD and was amazed at how good the steering was for a 2WD car.

There could actually be a something to the point of getting the tracking checked. I have noticed that the car pulls to the right somewhat, also after adjusting and balancing tyre pressure. Will report back with the results. I´m actually also coming from an Impreza, which might have made me above average used to a planted feel.
  • i30 1.6 CRDI 90 2010

Offline Erikfr

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
      Bergen
Woha! I had the wheels replaced and the tracking fixed. Went from worn down 7 year old Vredestein tyres in 195/65 15 to the new Goodyear Efficient grip performance 2 that came out this year, in size 205/55 16, and its like a new car. Almost an Audi   :wink:

Due to a coincidence with some good priced second hand BBS rims, I also ended up with quite a lot wider wheels, 7.5", but they fit fine and although a little on the edge, look great on the car.

The steering is somewhat heavier, but unbelievably more precise and direct, and the cornering grip is spectacular. This adds an increased sense of heaviness to the steering, because the old tyres would skid around and send confusing messages into the electric power steering, causing the steering wheel to "slip", whereas the new ones allows the steering wheel to retain its resistance a lot more predictably, giving a feeling of confidence in the steering.

I did however notice a slight decrease in acceleration from standstill, which I suppose is the tradeoff for having bigger wheels and more grippy rubber.

I could also add that the Goodyear tyres are very comfortable, and in this area too it is a completely different car. Whereas before it felt like driving on balloons, jumping around and with a very wobbly shaky feeling in the car, it now feels planted and the ride is very smooth. Although I have just driven the tires a few test rides around town, I think its safe to say that they are worth a consideration, as they shared the 1st place with Continental Premium Contact6 in tyrereviews.co.uk ´s latest review of the best summer tyres.
  • i30 1.6 CRDI 90 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great to hear. I could say I told you so. :D

I've always enjoyed the stable reassuring big car feel that all well setup i30's provide (considering their price point)

Despite looking very different all three different series share this characteristic.   :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal