i30 Owners Club

LED light bar and mount questions?

Offline Steve101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, Victoria, Australia
I'm looking for recommendations on a slim line LED light bar and either a rego plate bracket for my 2016 GD.

Any suggestions on a combo of these two items in Australia?

I've found mounts for $20 on eBay and $60 at Autobarn

I drive 30 min late nights in 'roo country and I just want that extra advantage with illuminated distance if possible.

Thanks in advance

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi Steve, I've been toying with installing the Narva offering - :link: Narva Explora LED Driving Light Bar 14" with Bracket | Supercheap Auto - reviews well but I don't really do enough night driving to warrant - also running LED high beams which are great (but not legal)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Please try and stay legal, guys...  :TutTut:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I did try  :crazy1:

Edit - in all seriousness, they would meet ADR on lumens, and are in a projector housing,  and are adjusted right down.

Offline Ratmick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, VIC
I'm looking for recommendations on a slim line LED light bar and either a rego plate bracket for my 2016 GD.

Any suggestions on a combo of these two items in Australia?

I've found mounts for $20 on eBay and $60 at Autobarn

I drive 30 min late nights in 'roo country and I just want that extra advantage with illuminated distance if possible.

Thanks in advance

Hi mate,

It’s slightly...amusing (for the want of a better word) that you’re from the next town over 10 minutes away, you buy an i30 and one of your first questions is spotlights...

...as that was also one of my first questions  :goodjob2:

We have hit two Roos in the last month and a half.

One was in my partner’s Mazda 2 and while that was in Kyneton getting repaired we wiped out her hire car on a much bigger male (pics in here in the ‘Members Motoring Mishaps’ section).
  • 2021 PD.4 5 Door N-Line Hatch, Petrol 1.6l Turbo, 6sp Manual, Fluidic Metal

Offline Ratmick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, VIC
Can you post a pic of the front of your car?

My i30 has a radar unit behind the Hyundai badge in the grille which effectively screws any chance of me using the centre of the grille.

Unlike my old Fiesta ST there isn’t any handy holes in the top of the crash bar either...

How rigid is the bumper around the number plate?

I had a couple of Rigid Dually Spots on my ST. They don’t have a long-distance throw but they fill in the sides of the road to give you more notice with movement in the bushes...

...doesn’t really help you if it’s daytime and they’re out and about, nor the last-minute suicidal leap of faith from a standing start.

...alas cannot see where to mount them without a bumper removal and a large drill bit.

I also don’t trust the grille to support 2x 600g weights bouncing up and down for long periods either so a numberplate mount is out.

Offline Ratmick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, VIC
For what it’s worth (and you can tell this is an issue close to my heart) prior to my Fiesta ST I drove a turbo-diesel Focus.

Directly behind the numberplate was the crash bar, a local auto-electrician removed the front bumper, drilled two holes into the bar behind the numberplate mounting area, installed rivnuts in the bar, then replaced the bumper and screwed a numberplate bracket to the crash bar.

I had a pair a Hella Rallye 4000 Compacts with HID globes on this, the best lights I have ever had, and they were solidly mounted...which is just as well as they’re heavy lights.

I still have the Rallye 4000s and the Rigids, alas nowhere to mount either.

...maybe I need a 4wd.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:47:25 by Ratmick »

Offline Steve101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, Victoria, Australia
Hi mate,

It’s slightly...amusing (for the want of a better word) that you’re from the next town over 10 minutes away, you buy an i30 and one of your first questions is spotlights...

...as that was also one of my first questions  :goodjob2:

We have hit two Roos in the last month and a half.

One was in my partner’s Mazda 2 and while that was in Kyneton getting repaired we wiped out her hire car on a much bigger male (pics in here in the ‘Members Motoring Mishaps’ section).

Hey mate,

Bugger that is terrible luck. It's a bad area for 'roos isn't it? I know of a local smash repairer who hit one on his way to work on morning, took home one of the company's loan cars for the week, and the following morning hit a second;roo in the loan car.

I had a look at Autobarn today and I can decide between a basic number plate bracket or the type with a small nudge bar. I'm taking the i30 back on Monday to try both on and see which looks best.

Offline Ratmick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, VIC
This what my ST looked like, so pretty stealth:

My Focus was one of the brackets you describe:

I asked the Dealer I bought mine from if they could suggest anything and they were predictably non-committal...

Hi Mick. Sorry for the delay. I was on leave.
Had a chat to service and they couldnt/wouldnt suggest anything unfortunately. They do not want to be suggesting anything that would make them liable if something goes wrong and would affect your warranty.

Offline Ratmick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, VIC
...so I really can't do anything it appears.

Thanks Frank.

So what would affect my warranty, anything that involves drilling?

Mick

--------------------

Yes, and electrical.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I had a plate mount nudge bar with very slim LED bars just for looks. The picture is somewhere on the forum here. For any lights of substantial consequence, the bar will visibly bounce around if attached only to the plastic, but you probably know that already. What I can confirm is that the eBay $20 item is the same as the shop $60.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal