i30 Owners Club

smokin'

ro0sau · 12 · 11931

Offline ro0sau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
hey all

just like to know how much smoke you can see in your rear view mirrors when you accelerate in your gd, forcefully?

remember...eyes on the road always   :phone1::Shocked: :Drive:
  • 2015 gd i30 trophy auto diesel

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Never seen any and I'm always giving it the boot around town :twisted:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Mate of mine once said - "If you ain't smokin, you ain't pokin"

Mind you, he was a weird s.o.a.b
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline ro0sau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
i thought i posted this in the diesel issues section lol :crazy2:

never seen...any?  mine has always, i thought it was normal, but recently it seemed worse when i floored it.

i dropped into service and asked the question, guy comes out and revs the crap out of her and says looks normal...normal discolouring on the bumper,  would you like to get it  checked out?
booked in and get told they needed a base point to assess as one injector wasn't firing at full potential. would i like it fixed. i said please yes.
on the day they ring and want to put a new filter on and clean the fuel system using latest petro-chemical technology to clean carbon from combustion chambers.

anyhow 4hours labour + sundries later it's all good to go...they say watch it for a week or so and let us know, oh and give it shit ass it will blow for a few klms.

2 weeks later it's still the same  :seriously:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 23:29:25 by ro0sau »

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I run diesel power or nulon equivalent in every tank. Of course you get that unburnt diesel on first start up but when I've followed the wife driving there's nothing (she's softer on it). When in driving and giving it the bikkies if there is any its so little it's unnoticeable. The tailpipe if fingered (:lol:) has less build up than the xr6 does (its petrol of course) and no heavy soot build up on bumper.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
One gentleman on here had a drag with me from lights. I was on petrol and he had a chipped diesel. Blew him off but he smoked that bad that I thought he had blown his motor. The people behind him had to slow right up as they had no vision.

Offline ro0sau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
hey

any chance a moderator could maybe move this thread to the diesel issues forum for me please?

I'd really love to get a bit more input  :neutral: :winker:

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
When I had a 2006 Euro 3 Ford Mondeo diesel it threw up lots of smoke when accelerating hard. After replacing it for a Focus with Euro 4 engine and DPF, there was no smoke at all. My partner's 2011 i30 diesel is quite smoky on starting, but it has done over 210,000 miles. Not sure how it keeps passing the MoT, although as they start the emissions test before I've even driven it into the test bay, that might have something to do with it!
  • i30 CRD

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I have a diesel FD and mine has always had the typical diesel fumes out the exhaust when I floor it , same as what you see for most diesels when they give it the boot.
  • 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Offline Nerd1000

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I have this issue (or non issue?) as well, substantial puff of black smoke followed by trail of haze in the rear view mirror under heavy acceleration. It only seems to happen if the engine goes above 2500 rpm. You can't see any smoke under more normal driving during the day, but I do see it in the headlights of cars behind me when I'm climbing hills at night.

Oddly the behaviour has changed over time. I used to also get puffs of smoke if the car downshifted on an uphill, but that seems to have stopped after a few months. I recently replaced the air filter, thinking it might be the issue (it was very dirty) but a subsequent experiment on a highway onramp resulted in the Mercedes behind me getting kippered, so I don't think that was the problem. A bottle of injector cleaner might have helped a little, or placebo'd me into thinking so.
  • 2014 i30 GD Tourer Auto Diesel

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
my old FD would do this from time to time - Millers diesel power ecomax at max strength for a couple of tanks would clean it up a treat. in the end I used to run it at regular strength all the time.

Offline Sianer2002

• 1st Gear

• gh Ghana
      Greater Accra
I got a similar situation except that mine puffs heavy smoke when I switch on air-conditioning. Engine stops should i shift the gear to drive. Changed injectors, fuel filter, fuel pump. Surprisingly, there is no check engine sign and I havent met the right Mechcanic yet. Additionally, my horn got stuck and taking out the fuse did not stop it. Car has been parked for a month now. Any ideas?
  • 2008 i30 CRDi Turbo Diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal