i30 Owners Club

Crankshaft Position Sensor - 08 i30 CRDi

Offline JLang83

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Worcestershire
Hi All
Hoping for some advice - car wouldn't start and AA came out - machine reader said crankshaft position sensor issue. Garage replaced this but no joy - engine still intermittently fails or won't start. Mechanic says it could be related to the flywheel - repairs for this would basically write-off the car. Can anyone think of another reason the CPS replacement hasn't solved the error?

Grateful for anything at all!
TIA
  • 2008 i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi there JLang83 and  :welcum:

Did your mechanic recalibrate the system with the new CPS fitted? I'm fairly sure this is mandatory...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline JLang83

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Worcestershire
Thanks Shambles. I'll ask tomorrow - can you explain what you mean by this?! I'm totally illiterate about car mechanics!
  • 2008 i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
can you explain what you mean by this?

A decent mech would know if this is required - usually involves some driving at set speeds. One of our Tech Advisors might know more.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline JLang83

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Worcestershire
Ah - the car still wont start or rather mostly wont start - occasional burst of life. Something is interrupting the signal and making the ECM think the sensor has failed I think?
  • 2008 i30

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I did a quick search in HY repair manual and did not find any mention about calibration after change. Coil resistance of the sensor should be 774-946ohms and signal waveform should be checked with a scantool after change. Recommended to check with camshaft position sensor to see that camshaft position sensor has one signal and crankshaft has two in the same time period.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal