i30 Owners Club

Broken AC compressor

sundiz · 3 · 1401

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
My compressor coil broke down some time ago. Just a lot of sweaty driving, but otherwise did not affect the cars performance. I got a service kit, but unfortunately they send wrong part. Kit had a 4pk pulley as the car has 5pk belt system. I thought I might be able to change just the coil, if that would be same size. Yesterday the engine started make nasty sounds. I noticed that the AC compressor bearing broke down. Little bit of measuring with a fishing line and I drove to a parts store to get shorter belt. I placed the shorter belt so that it not going to the ac pulley at all. Seemed to work. At least I was able to drive home with it.

I've used 1810 and 1815 belts previously with ac. Now I have 1645 belt. Just a tip, if someone gets in to same situation.

I'll have to see if other parts of the kit might fit and if the bearing from the wrong pulley could be removed and put to the old without damage. The pulley has been crushed over the bearing with some tool to make tight fit. Will probably required some dremel grinding to get it out. Not sure how to crush the old pulley same way if I can get the new bearing in it. Maybe just beat the edge with a chisel or make some slot to the edge and beat them in with a hammer.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Finally had time to investigate the AC compressor more. I knew the coil was broken, also the pulley bearing. I removed all those from the compressor axel. Everything was rusty and stuck. Lots of WD-40, different tools and cursing. When I was finally taking the last part (coil) off from the axel, the some seal in the compressor failed and srayed the mix of refrigerant, compressor oil and UV dye straight into my eyes. Quick run inside and washed eyes with plenty of water. Nasty stuff. Burning feeling in the eyes, but seems I got most of it out. And I can still see... It was a bit strange as at the moment I was not even touching it when it failed. I assume broken bearing heated up the axel and burned the coil and the seal as they all were next to each other. Nevertheless whole AC compressor is FUBAR. At least now I can change it by myself as there is no refigerant anymore, if I decide to go that route. One option would be continue to drive without AC as the compressors seem to be bit pricey. One positive thing is that now when the belt does not go over AC pulley, fuel consumption dropped 0,2 l/100km.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Good (?) result there sundiz, other than getting air conditioned eyes  :clapthanks:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal