i30 Owners Club

ABS and ESP OFF lights illuminated after ABS recall

Offline HyundaiGuy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North East England, UK
Hi ,
Hope you are all well.

I'm hoping to get some advice/ideas following a recent recall repair.

2008 Hyundai i30 estate. 1.6 CRDi.

I took the car in for a recall relating to the ABS system. They installed what they refer to as a relay kit. I believe it's function is to disconnect power from the ABS system when the car is off.

A few days after installation, both the ABS and ESP OFF warning lights illuminated.
They have been on and off ever since. Some journeys they come on, some they don't.
The ESP OFF button does nothing when they are on.
I can't see any obvious pattern relating to speed or conditions etc. that trigger them to come on.

I took it back to the dealer to have it checked, they said they "no fault found" so were sure it was not the relay kit... but they don't know what is wrong  :head_knock: . Further diagnosis is £108. I'm not sure how they concluded that to be honest.

They definitely plugged something in to the port under the bonnet as he left the port cover open. I contacted the service manager who basically said they checked everything, plugged in scanners etc but found no faults. The lights were off when the mechanic was checking it. I subsequently plugged in my cheap OBD2 scanner when the lights were on but saw no codes, current or historic. This mirrored what the dealer said.

Do you think it's possible/straightforward to remove the relay kit?

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

David

• Hyundai i30 estate 2008

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Is the relay accessible enough to determine which leads are connected to it? You can override its function temporarily to test whether the modification is to blame. One way is to disconnect the coil positive terminal and reconnect that terminal directly to battery so that the new off signal is ignored. Another way is to disconnect the lead to one side of the relay switch and reconnect it directly to the other. Then the relay will still function but it will be bypassed.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Maybe disconnect the negative battery lead first (30 minutes) to reset the system and see if the issue returns before attempting to bypass the new relay :undecided:

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Check battery and alternator. If voltage drops too low abs and esp are usually first units to stop working.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline HyundaiGuy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North East England, UK
Hi,
Thanks for all of the ideas.

The battery/alternator voltage look ok to me. I'll have the batter tested.

The recall added a new part to the fuse box, I guess to incorporate the relay. The pins are not accessible. I think I am going to resort to an auto electrician. I'll pass on your idea. Thanks!

I'll update the thread once I have progress.

Dave.
  • Hyundai i30 estate 2008

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal