i30 Owners Club

Engine oil over-filled...AGAIN!!!

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Took my 2015 1.6 diesel to the dealer for an 'essentials' service this week. Overall I thought it pretty good value considering they change the engine oil & filter, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter, brake fluid and coolant. Not sure why they change the engine coolant considering they did it only 18 months ago at the last service.

Anyhow, I checked the oil level next day and found it to be above the Full mark on the dipstick, which is about the 3rd or 4th time this has happened. I know the handbook states 5.3 litres, but my opinion is that 5 litres is the right amount, based on the dozen oil changes I've done on this engine. I could have taken it back and asked the dealer to draw off the excess, but that's 2 hours out of my day and a 20-mile round trip.

I did it myself using a pump dispenser from an empty body of body lotion. Having flushed it out with plenty of warm water and allowing it to dry, I extended the hose with some flexible tube and pushed it down the dipstick. Much to my surprise, it worked a treat. After lots of vigorous pumping to suck the oil up the tube, it pumped really well once the pump bit in the handle was primed with oil. It only took a couple of minutes to fill a large glass jar.

I drew out about 0.45 litre of oil to bring the level down to the Full mark. Obviously, this has to checked with the car on level ground and the oil hot.

Moral of the story is that when collecting your car after a service, check the oil level before leaving.

• i30 CRD

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Ingenious :goodjob:

And a useful heads-up for our members :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal