i30 Owners Club

Got home, turned engine off and the engine fan still on spinning loudly?

Offline Johnmiceter

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ive never seen this before on a car. Turned the engine completely off (no lights were on the dash) got out of the car to close the gates and I could hear this noise and at first thought it was next door (as it was a loud whooshing noise) and opened the bonnet to see the fan was spinning really fast. I unlocked the car and turned the engine on for a second and back off again and it stopped.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I own a Hyundai i30 SR 2018 1.6L turbo and it has a RS Racechip installed and wondering could this have anything to do with it? I also came back from like a 2hr drive and was getting up it a bit for the 1st time since owning the car and not sure if this had anything to do with it?

Also, I checked the engine temperature (thinking it would be super hoy or something) but the temperature was where it always is. And ive had the RS racechip on for about 1 month now (but havent driven it heaps) and not sure if its the chip or something else.

Any ideas would be appreciated as im selling the car soon and dont want to sell someone a car with a issue, thanks.
  • i30 SR Premium PD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That's normal for turbo vehicles, fan stays on for a while to drop temps.

If the car has been given a bit of thrashing it's advised to let the engine idle run for a minute or two before shutting it off.

Offline Johnmiceter

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
That's normal for turbo vehicles, fan stays on for a while to drop temps.

If the car has been given a bit of thrashing it's advised to let the engine idle run for a minute or two before shutting it off.

So that's normal for the fan to do that when the engine is switched off?

I owned a Mazda 3 mps for 5 years (2.3l turbo) with a tune and it never did that and before that car I owned a Astra turbo 03 (2.0l turbo) and cant remember it ever doing that also. And I didnt really thrash it, just got up it a few times and more then I have since owning this car.

I always thought, as long as you drive it normally and take it easy for 5 or 10 mins before you get home and stop the car its fine? Thats what I did with my other cars but maybe the i30 is different because its a smaller engine?
  • i30 SR Premium PD

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I have had cars where the fan runs on for a bit after turning the engine off. I can't say I've noticed if my i30 diesel does it, but that could be because I wouldn't think of it as anything unusual.
  • i30 CRD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My Renault Fuego would do that all the time, turning off quite a few minutes later, longer in summer.
Firty never has done it.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal