i30 Owners Club

2015 GD CRDi DCT Failure - lost odd numbered gears

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
My 2015 GD CRDi with the 7 speed DCT has been flawless for the past 310,000kms (mostly highway).

A couple of days ago the wife drove it, to pick me up from the pub  :), and on the way home the transmission was appearing to play up. From the passenger seat, it appeared to be skipping gears. Took it for a drive the next day and no odd numbered gears, it would start in 2nd, then go to 4th and eventually 6th.

My local indie mechanic had a look at it and said that that the DCT appears to have failed. He said that it is beyond his skill level to properly diagnose and fix, as special diagnostic gear and tools are required. So off to the local Hyundai dealer on Monday to get it properly diagnosed.

Did some googling but can't seem to find anyone else reporting similar problems with the i30 DCT, although it appears that there were problems with the Hyundai DCTs in some other models in the USA, but they don't appear to be the issue I am having.

I suppose 310K is a fair run out of a transmission, and it could simply be wear and tear.

Anyone else experienced a similar problem?  Any thoughts?

Edit - Oops, posted in wrong spot, Could a mod please move this to the correct section? Thanks.
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I think over 300k is reasonable life for DCT. Highway miles have definately helped such a long life. There was a topic on the forum, where someone had burned clutchplates from their tucson DCT at 60k...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Following up on my initial post, apparently I need a new "clutch activator" at a cost $4,000 fitted.

Car is only 6 years old and otherwise is fine so I am going ahead and having this done in the new year.

Dealer said that they haven't had any previous failures of the i30 DCT. However, most of their customers would not have anywhere near the 310,000kms mine does.

After doing a lot of Google searching, it appears I have done well getting that sort of mileage out a dry DCT, and the repair cost is in the ballpark people have mentioned for other brand DCT replacements..
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
To update my thread -

My car is fixed at last. It needed:

Actuator Assembly - clutch
Set-Double clutch
Flywheel assembly

Total cost a bit over $5,000.

Goes fine now, which it would want to given the cost :-)
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks for the update.
Quite an investment - I hope you get much more mileage out of it. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I think I spoke to soon :-(

Car went fine for a week and now won't start. Cranks but won't turnover. The immobiliser light stays on, so I assume some sort of immobiliser issue. Timing makes me suspicious it is somehow connected to all the DCT work just had done.

And of course, this happened 100kms from home, where the car still is. Had to leave the car and get home, will go back Monday to try and sort it out then. If NRMA can't get it going will have to have it towed to the nearest dealer.

Will take OBD2 reader with me when I go back, hopefully that will give me a code to point me in the right direction.
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal