i30 Owners Club

Helicopter Crash - Norway

FatBoy · 6 · 2301

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
As some of you may have read or seen in the news, my company (CHC Helicopters) lost a helicopter in a tragic accident near Bergen in Norway last week.  All thirteen people on board perished in the accident. 

:link: Norway helicopter crash: 13 killed near Bergen - BBC News

While accidents in aviation occur, what is shocking (and nauseating for me) in this instance is that the rotor head detached from the aircraft, causing the accident.  This is the same as an aircraft's wings falling off, without warning.  The footage of this made me physically ill.  Accordingly, my company (and others) have suspended flying this type of aircraft, the H225 (or EC225), for all but life saving Search and Rescue flights.

What really makes me angry is that the manufacturer, Airbus Helicopters, have stated that although they don't know what caused the rotor head to detach, they are happy that the helicopter is safe to fly.  WTF?  Notwithstanding, all of our clients have stated that until further evidence is presented to them stating what caused the catastrophic failure of the rotor mast, they will not fly in the H225.  Hence the aircraft that I used to fly, the S92, is now busier than ever before, covering the tasks that used to be covered by the H225. 

I may be moving again.  (I am about to sign a lease tomorrow)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yes it was on the UK news, very sad indeed, I heard someone say they're grounded, I think  :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow!  That makes life complicated for you Jamie. I hope it all works out for the best...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
To understate it greatly about rotor head detaching... that is sub-optimal.

I totally agree with your WTF Jamie!  And can fully understand the clients reaction.

I notice the BBC article list various features, etc. inc. safety like flotation - sought of want to tell them, in this case, I don't think that would have helped (I get the impression it came down on the rocks) and certainly not the rapid descent part - regardless of if it came down on water or land.   Water is hard if you collide with it at high enough velocity.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
This is not an unusual response from industry, how many in flight fires on the Dreamliner before they were grounded? If you ground things you have to pay compensation for lost earnings etc, this would probably cost more than the lawsuits for 13 souls should the manufacturer be fould to be accountable for the accident, and thats all it is to big business.

To be fair though, through my extensive experience watching Air Crash Investigations the cause of those kinds of things more often than not is some numpty in the maintence area fitting the wrong bolt or not changing something they should to save money.

Lucky in this instance the clients are able to make their own calls. It is a bit harder when you are one of 300 on a flight and you lose most of your hard earned changing airlines at the last second.

Thoughts with the pilots who obviously had no chance to save the flight, the passengers and their loved ones.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
My son is off to London in a few hours, I didn't need this  :Shocked: :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal