i30 Owners Club

Rear Brake Discs gone at 25000

Offline mattie3000

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      milton keynes
Hello

Took my car in for its 20000 miles service (it's done 25000). While Hyundai was doing there health check they tell me my rear brake discs are corroded and recommend replacement. Now I know that brakes, in general, are not under warranty but 25000 on the rear disc does not seem right to me, surely they should be doing 50000 plus. The really annoying thing is when I bought the car last year I took it back to them 2-3 times telling them there is a noise coming from the rear brakes and each time they said they were fine. Has anybody else heard of anything like this?

They also want £295 for a set of rear disc and pads, again seems a bit too much or is that just me? They have told me I can do them myself and use aftermarket parts and this will not affect any warranty

A little back story of the car, The car is a 2017 i30 1.4T I bought the car in September 2018 with around 16000 miles on the clock, so I do not believe it had sat on the forecourt for too long (as I read that disc's will corroded when they sit for a long time) and since I have owned the car its been in use pretty much every day.

Any input will be grateful
  • 2017 i30 5 Door Petrol 1.4 T Manuel White

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Most likely there is a pad or two stuck, which have caused the rotors to rust. Price seems to be OK. Of course you can do it a lot cheaper (no labour cost). I recommend using OEM or OEM quality pads. Cheap 3rd party pads often start to make noise, and then you buy the better quality pads... It will save you the price of cheap pads.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
You could always take the wheels off and get some photos to post up so we can see what they look like. Do you have salty roads? That generally will accelerate corrosion
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Same old story. GD rear brakes and European road conditions are a bad mix.

Most likely there is a pad or two stuck,  :goodjob2: :goodjob2: which have caused the rotors to rust.   wear???

Pads are constantly cleaning the rotor surface, so Im curious why corrosion or rust on a thick lump of steel is so critical. Some photos may help.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Do you have previous noise in writing or just a verbal each way ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Yes the pads are clean from the rust in the first use of brakes when they work normally. When the brake pad gets stuck due brake dust, road salt, other crap. Only one of the pads will move. Or it might be that the brakes do not work at all well if both of the pads get stuck. Happened to me. Had to hammer the pads out of the supply bracket, as the pads were so corroded and stuck to the bracket.

The side of the stuck brake pad will continue to rust as the pad does not get any contanct on the disc and clean it. If the pad stays stuck too long the rotor will rust so bad it needs to be changed.

Rusty brake rotor is not a problem, when it is just small surface rust. But when the rotor rusts properly, it is an indication that the caliber and/or pads are not working as they should be.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:20:13 by sundiz »
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline mattie3000

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      milton keynes
When I change them I will post up the pictures, I guess the roads are quite salty but I have owned other cars in the same area and only ever changed the rear discs around 70K

Offline mattie3000

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      milton keynes

I do not believe so but the service guy remembers me and says he remembers me bring the car back for them to check. I know I should have got it noted down but I was arguing about other things when I bought the car. The rear heated screen did not work correctly which they changed under warranty which they messed  up (they used a local company which change the rear screen which scratched the paint and then told me that the rubber surround around the window can not be replaced on a year old car, they didn't win that battle) and I had a nice scratch along one door which I managed to get them to respray and I had a bad tyre but they told me it was not a MOT fail so its fine even knowing a tyre expect says it illegal.

anyway sorry to go on thanks for the reply

Offline mattie3000

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      milton keynes
Yes the pads are clean from the rust in the first use of brakes when they work normally. When the brake pad gets stuck due brake dust, road salt, other crap. Only one of the pads will move. Or it might be that the brakes do not work at all well if both of the pads get stuck. Happened to me. Had to hammer the pads out of the supply bracket, as the pads were so corroded and stuck to the bracket.

The side of the stuck brake pad will continue to rust as the pad does not get any contanct on the disc and clean it. If the pad stays stuck too long the rotor will rust so bad it needs to be changed.

Rusty brake rotor is not a problem, when it is just small surface rust. But when the rotor rusts properly, it is an indication that the caliber and/or pads are not working as they should be.

Thanks for the input, I have just never heard of a car needing the rear discs need changing at 25K

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Still have original pads all round 275 000 km on my FD wagon

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Thanks for the input, I have just never heard of a car needing the rear discs need changing at 25K

Well it is not common. Do you do any hard braking, or do drive economically (like an old lady)?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I do not believe so but the service guy remembers me and says he remembers me bring the car back for them to check. I know I should have got it noted down but I was arguing about other things when I bought the car. The rear heated screen did not work correctly which they changed under warranty which they messed  up (they used a local company which change the rear screen which scratched the paint and then told me that the rubber surround around the window can not be replaced on a year old car, they didn't win that battle) and I had a nice scratch along one door which I managed to get them to respray and I had a bad tyre but they told me it was not a MOT fail so its fine even knowing a tyre expect says it illegal.

anyway sorry to go on thanks for the reply
Sounds like you've had an interesting time  :rolleyes: farrk !.
So how bad do they look ?

Offline mattie3000

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      milton keynes
Well after sending an email to the manager they have agreed to replace the rear discs and pads free of charge as he believes its a warranty problem. Happy days. if any would like to know Hyundai discs have a 2-year 20k warranty on

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well after sending an email to the manager they have agreed to replace the rear discs and pads free of charge as he believes its a warranty problem. Happy days. if any would like to know Hyundai discs have a 2-year 20k warranty on

SWEEET ! ,  Great service from dealer and a load off your mind.
The power of the written word  :goodjob2:.
Do replacements have same warranty?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: Fingers crossed they honour that commitment.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mattie3000

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      milton keynes

SWEEET ! ,  Great service from dealer and a load off your mind.
The power of the written word  :goodjob2:.
Do replacements have same warranty?

Can't see why not they told 2 years or 20k on the discs

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
My rear disks on the FD were still fine at 10 years 80k+ miles. It only had a set of pads on the back just before I got rid of it, and I'm guessing we get more salt on our roads than Milton Keynes.

So many roundabouts. Good fun on Michelins.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal