i30 Owners Club

1.8 petrol EFI Battery problem

Lakes · 24 · 6503

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well i never had an issue myself with batteries failing with my hyundais but the three year old 1.8 efi Auto i sold for my Father only has 15k up and friends wife tell's me it went flat would not start when she drove into town yesterday they live 15 kilometres out of town so needs car. i have had other EFI late model petrol do that with no warning just was a Falcon but only a year old. anyone else had a battery issue?

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
3yrs is not common but not surprising. Batteries dont last on the newer stuff like they used to.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Of course we don't know if they had some instances with doors not shut, lights left on etc, which drained the battery or weakened it. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thank's Tim & Dazz, i agree Tim!!! like i know people try to have a go at different car brands, but with Battery's they don't discriminate. this lady is a loyal Hyundai owner having  the first model Accent that was Auto kept immaculate . never had one problem, took it religiously to her Hyundai dealer for service. never a problem. Dazz if you leave a door ajar they give you a warning i can hear that now  :) also when you lock with fob the lights won't flash even if you leave the Bonnet ajar lights won't flash the law states all parked cars must be locked & motor turned off while parked. thats NSW at least.
As i said i had no battery issue with the i30's i had, but with all the Electronic's they rely heavy on battery being fully charged. i had one year old Falcon ute i drove 70,000k per year, drove it 15k parked turned it of lights off doors shut half hour latter hop in go to start it is dead, so get NRMA battery service out new battery off i go, less than one year that battery packs it in NRMA out not worries put new one in, they have two year guarantee but as it was used for work one year only. after that went on and on. i went got made in Australia Century Battery that was still going strong three years latter when sold ute. my. Ute i have now had one in it had ute over two years starts every time. So i might say i like Ford & Hyundai when it comes to car's but when i have to buy a battery i try to stick to that one brand and the made in Australia model.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Well my OEM battery in my i30 lasted 4 and a little bit years (though the last 3 or so months it was probably limping).   For the first two years it was usually parked undercover during the day during work-week - from about a 1/3rd way through 2013 on wards it was street parked for the day during the work-week.

I do suspect, to a degree, environmental conditions like those do have an affect on battery life, etc..   But I also wonder how much real difference there is between branded and unbranded - being I have noticed a number of 'own' brand batteries from various suppliers have the exact same molding, sticker shape and locations, as some 'battery' brands.   Which is an indication generic brand batteries are probably similarly manufactured - of course there could be a difference in what level of testing they passed (e.g. grading)... but I don't know the battery manufacturing industry.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well my OEM battery in my i30 lasted 4 and a little bit years (though the last 3 or so months it was probably limping).   For the first two years it was usually parked undercover during the day during work-week - from about a 1/3rd way through 2013 on wards it was street parked for the day during the work-week.

I do suspect, to a degree, environmental conditions like those do have an affect on battery life, etc..   But I also wonder how much real difference there is between branded and unbranded - being I have noticed a number of 'own' brand batteries from various suppliers have the exact same molding, sticker shape and locations, as some 'battery' brands.   Which is an indication generic brand batteries are probably similarly manufactured - of course there could be a difference in what level of testing they passed (e.g. grading)... but I don't know the battery manufacturing industry.

Pretty much as you surmised.
It's probably cheaper to just run one standard of production and affix whatever labels you want.
At the end of the day, an extra year or two of warranty costs you more. But there won't be a great difference in the battery. From the manufacturer's POV, you get more for the battery and that more than covers the odd failure within the warranty period.
Simple economics really.

But I agree with John that Century is a good quality brand.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Just looked at my i30 battery - which I got replaced by Marshall's call out service...

The battery branding is Marshall Power (with Marshall Logo etc. on the 'front' - which in i30s points to the back of the car so is obscured).

It shares the exact same look, model number and specs (and warranty) as an Exide Extreme battery...  http://www.beaurepaires.com.au/exide-x55d23cmf-battery

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I replaced my battery at 5.5 years. My local guy only had Exide. I used them in my rally cars years ago with no problems.  So it'll be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
OK i Stated one Brand of Battery That's Century Brand Extra Heavy Duty Century MADE IN AUSTRALIA. they had both that and made overseas.
the Australian one is Yellow & blue the O S, different colour, the one in my UTE for off road as when i go off road you get all shook up!  Truck Motor Bikes & 4WD all hard on batteries as a normal battery will fall apart inside. but AGM type very good too. mate has had the one battery in his MB vito turbo Diesel Van 11 years 170,000k was original battery came with that van. ( don't know what?
so why did this 3year old original battery in the Hyundai 1.8 petrol auto go at 15,000k? she does not drive fast & very fussy. wonder how long Hyundai warrant the OMB? I'll check Century web see if still made in Australia sold also will check Century guarantee think 3 year
:link: 4WDs

the ultra hi performance Century is what i have in my ute had ute two years now but was used no idea how old the battery is but never had a problem yet driven 40,000k since owned just a S Box Toyota Hi lux but so far so good .i drive off road a lot now.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 20:31:25 by Lakes »

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Had an R33 with a Yuasa battery which died at 15 years.
Was perfect one minute and then zero, broke a connection inside.
Could not get another in Aus., apparently it was listed as a bike battery, so I bought something local. Never started as well.
They use a sealed type battery mounted in the boot and it's a long run for the starter cables.
  • i-30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Crayman that must be close to best run from a battery in au!
Yuasa own Century i always had good luck with there batteries on MC's. a mate who has a high K's falcon V8 ute 480,000k manual said he gets around 5 years from batteries. my falcon Utes were both Auto don't know if that makes a difference but the one that went flat on my fathers 3 year old Hyundai was auto mate who had the 11 year on the vito diesel van that was manual too.
oh well wish we had batteries that last indefinitely !!!!!

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Yes I had no idea until I pulled it out and read the date. Quite a hard spot to access so not the sort of thing you want to do often.
They were a gell battery, think they can take vibration and rough treatment better than the usual design.
Plus they don't gas when charging so they're the right battery for that confined spot.
I've found the only way to get long battery life from my machinery is to fit a mechanical isolator switch at the battery.
When not in use the battery is completely switched out. I'm well over 5-years from my N200 batteries and they're an expensive replacement.
Can't do that with a car though and there's lots of electronic items all bleeding a tiny drain from the battery.
  • i-30

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/jobs-lost-in-adelaides-north-as-battery-firm-marshall-power-closes-down-elizabeth-north-factory/story-fni6uma6-1226815550733

Apparently made OS now.

Would match what is on mine 'Made in Philippines' - of course, I had thought Marshall had rebranded an Exide battery... where as it appears to be the other way around.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/jobs-lost-in-adelaides-north-as-battery-firm-marshall-power-closes-down-elizabeth-north-factory/story-fni6uma6-1226815550733

Apparently made OS now.

Would match what is on mine 'Made in Philippines' - of course, I had thought Marshall had rebranded an Exide battery... where as it appears to be the other way around.
Yeah. That's interesting.  I'm sure Exide came first. It was definitely the main battery company back in the 70s and early 80's.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
:link: Our History

Forgot about Pacific Dunlop's great expansion phase in the 80's.  Which was ultimately its downfall. Too much diversification from core business.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
so why did this 3year old original battery in the Hyundai 1.8 petrol auto go at 15,000k? she does not drive fast & very fussy. wonder how long Hyundai warrant the OMB? I'll check Century web see if still made

From memory I think Hyundai warrant the battery for 24months - not too sure what the KMs would be...30K/40K maybe?

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
:link: Our History

Forgot about Pacific Dunlop's great expansion phase in the 80's.  Which was ultimately its downfall. Too much diversification from core business.

Well that sought of clears things up - Marshall was around for a longtime, so too Exide - looks like when Exide acquired Marshall they didn't rebrand manufacturing.  And also used some of it's manufacturing with the Exide brand on it, etc..   When they sold Marshall on they continued to do so.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I went to see my friend yesterday, she told me about her experience with dead battery.
she had her three dogs with her in the car at the time. was in town without her mobile phone, gets back to the three year old Hyundai, the battery was dead fob would not unlock car all power windows up & as no power to start car no air-conditioning , could not phone anyone. I should point out she drives to town with her three dog's each day to walk dogs as national park where she lives so no dogs allowed. she could not leave dogs in car with windows up. so had to walk to library to get to a phone. but nrma road service kept battery on charge overnight it was dead had to order one the same to fit cost $250 , so as i sold the car i feel terrible. as she pointed out her last car was a 10 year old Accent EFI auto still on original battery done everything the same, so thought she would be getting a car safer & as reliable with a 5 year warranty still two years left. so i'm disappointed in Hyundai as car has only travelled 15,000k from new & needs a new battery i need to know how to contact Hyundai ? as myself i have not had a problem so i want to find out how they will treat this so i know in the future as will buy another Hyundai, but if they just give me the flick i'll remember.
cheers does anyone have Hyundai contact details? or will i call in at Homebush Bay office when i'm in Sydney this week?
hope someone can help with contact details.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Not sure of the age of you car John, but maybe the 15k from new has something to do with battery longevity. Low distances over long periods of time mean either short trips and or long periods of slow discharge.

Temperature is also a factor when charging. Short trips will tell the alternator to whack a significant charge into the battery in order to try to charge the battery back to full. This high charge repeatedly increases battery temp and can warp the plates & shorten battery life. Coupled with the drain that occurs with modern vehicles, I'm not surprised at the poor performance.

Our car is now 5+ years old and on original battery. It's doing about 20k per annum.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
cheers does anyone have Hyundai contact details? or will i call in at Homebush Bay office when i'm in Sydney this week?
hope someone can help with contact details.
Here you go John,

You can call our Australian-based Customer Care Centre toll-free from landlines on 1800 186 306. We are open Monday - Friday, 8:30 am-7:00 pm AEST.

Alternatively you can fax us on 02 8873 6322.

Your comments and feedback are always welcome, you can submit a ticket using the button below, or write to us at;

Hyundai Motor Company Australia
Customer Care
Locked Bag 2018
North Ryde Business Centre
North Ryde, NSW 1670

Or use this...

:link: Hyundai
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Phil the car ( not mine ) think 2012 elantra might be 2013 my father only sold because rear window was hard for him to clean inside but motor n trans same as i30 he bought a 2015 i30 1.8 auto,
Phil my friend had a ten year old Accent auto still original battery very low k's she expects this to be same, must be the weather here i don't know but in Sydney
 i never got long life from battery's but did high k's battery companies won't warrant for business use longer than 12 months . she uses car same as she used the elantra she has had it for around 6 months i think. so very disappointed her Hubby had a Vito diesel manual van from new 170,000k in 11 years still original battery so they are used to long battery life.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Dunno:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Phil that's what i thought!!!
with me i don't ever just trust my luck with batteries, i told her in my time i've seen more batteries fail than you could poke a stick at!!!
Had one cheap Taiwan battery ( Apolo i think ) earth a plate while driving and motor just stopped soon after still while driving & on a narrow dark twisty country road. but i survived.
cheers

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal